Bears getting safety Darren Sharper worth exploring

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Darren Sharper looking to Chicago at his stage of his career makes sense. He shows good instincts, has nice timing and usually takes the right angles.
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Mar 9, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WI Bear

Somerset, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

1) Still would rather see Mike Brown than Smart-A** Sharper.

2) Earl Bennett, Earl Bennett, Earl Bennett.

3) Warner is a greedy hypocrite (pretty much like all the rest of them.)

4) Cedric Benson ('nuff said).

5) Isn't contacting Cutler tampering? The Neck-Bearded Fellow is still my guy.

6) Is Rex's phone getting dusty?

7) Just heard TJ signed with Seattle -- thank God he didn't go with the Vikes.

8) Love the way Jason Taylor moves, but he's past his prime.
Bears54

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

If the Bears were in win now more, they would have done a hell of alot more than they have the last 2 years. This organization is a complete joke and this team will go nowhere as the coaching is pathetic and too laid back. Angelo is clueless and does nothing to improve the team.
Jamie

Liberty Lake, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

Come on David Haugh, get the facts straight, it is your job after all and there are a lot of unemployed people looking for work right now. The offer the Cards made to Warner was two years, but the second year was a team option so the second year doesn't really matter. The Cards could have made a better offer. Warner deserves it after the year he had. You are starting to think like Angelo and that's pretty sad.

The Bears need to draft Heyward-Bay or Nicks. I don't think neither is a legitimate first round pick but the current roster of WR's is worse than some colleges. If we are supposed to win now than I think Angelo would have gone after TJ Whoseyourmamma but the fact eh didn't shows you what he really thinks about our QB and our dismal team.
mike m

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

ummm, Darren Sharper is no better than Mike Brown...so why wouldn't we bring him back-would probably come cheaper, and be a better team presence! Craig Steltz is not an option for a team that wants to win.
RHURLEY49

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

Darren Sharper instead of Mike Brown? Are you kidding? Probably not since there are people in Chicago that truely believe that Orton is a starting QB even if he can't complete a pass for more that 10 yards. We suck and are doomed until angelo and smith are out of here. By the way WI BEAR, I would have loved to have had Benson here last year with Forte!
Chris

Itasca, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Darren Sharper's Cap Value:$4.3 million
Craig Steltz's Cap Value:$406,000

Hmm... David Haugh, you know very well that although it's a kid's game and a sport, the NFL is a business. So, explain to me why JA would give that much money to an aging Safety in Sharper while Steltz's value to the team hasn't yet determined?

Now, if this was the Darren Sharper circa 2001 or 2002, I'm sure everyone would be jumping on board. But it's 2009 and Darren Sharper is past his prime and he's not worth the money.

David Haugh, you're a very good reporter telling the public about the moves the Bears have made and analyzing them. You're also good in reporting the news in Bourbonaiis. But you're a complete hack when it comes to journalistic views like suggesting which players the Bears should sign and this is evidence of one. How many time have you hyped the public into signing a big-time free agent when the Bears never signed one since... never? You suggested Julius Peppers would come to town, as you did Jason Taylor, Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and every possible free agent out there. Please come back to reality and start writing about things that may ACTUALLY happen...
Hans

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

David, I truly appreciate your columns. I do. But how insulting to slap Warner as greedy..."TYPICAL NFL greed.. Disingenuous" ?! Someone tends to be a class act because they are NOT a fool. So he should not get paid what he is worth? He should just take whatever they offer him so his "pristine" image will suffer no tarnish and remain classy? CLASSY is an organization rewarding the GOOD GUY who ALSO HAPPENS TO BE WORTH HIS FULL WAGE! The guy shoulda been MVP. He has mentored and encouraged even his own upstart replacements at every stop. So you would rather reward some LoveBoat Scandal QB with 50 million or 5 time moral misdeed Vick?(Tho I realize you are not quite saying this). But furthermore he has eschewed greed throughout his career and even started training camp WITHOUT a contract.. and BECAUSE he only has a couple years left he wants a full proper salary for a top 5 quarterback because he IS looking at the end now and to life after football. He is extremely charitable with his money and wants to use it to benefit others. An extra 4 or 8 million is A LOT and goes a LONG WAY to helping needy children and disabled and whatever else he gives to. Itís not even like he is holding out for a larger than what he is worth contract. The contract offer is still considered under his status. Pretty glib David to mudsling so distastefully with a seemingly passing thought. Especially one of the few and best examples this game has had in recent years, if not ever. Disgusting.
BP Zion IL

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

A few thoughts....

(1) Chris, how does anyone know what Darren Sharpers cap value is ??? He has NO contract, he is an UFA !!

Nobody can possible know what his cap hit would be this year or the next if he isn't signed to a contract !!

No terms, no signing bonus, no deferals, no incentive clauses, no pro-rated salary at the back end of a deal that doesn't exist yet ext..ect...ect...

Get my point ???

The BIG and most important difference between Mike Brown and Darren Sharper is Mike Brown hasn't been able to complete NFL since 2004. Sharper is a few years older but he at least has had limited health issues over his career.
Randy

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Why would you write that about Kurt Warner? By your own admission the offer from the Cardinals is only "modest." I'm guessing the man doesn't need the money so maybe his motivation it's more about respect. And since when is exploring new possibilities for yourself and your family smaking of "typical NFL greed?"
MJG

Wilmette, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Warner should have greed, he had a pro bowl season and is about to get paid because he is a FREE AGENT! Greed is business! David Haugh, the Suntimes is offering you a 25% raise, you interested or are you just another "typical greedy journalist"?
IndyBearFAn

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

RHURLEY49 wrote:
Darren Sharper instead of Mike Brown? Are you kidding? Probably not since there are people in Chicago that truely believe that Orton is a starting QB even if he can't complete a pass for more that 10 yards. We suck and are doomed until angelo and smith are out of here. By the way WI BEAR, I would have loved to have had Benson here last year with Forte!
You must be a fan of I AM OUT OF WORK WRECKS GROSSMAN. Wal-mart isn't even calling him. KO will be outstanding this year, he will have a much improved O-line, a much improved D-line( thanks to Rod) and a much improved defense now that BFF Babich is no longer running the defense. In my opinion babich and grossman should both be at wal mart.
lpjd

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

IndyBearFAn wrote:
<quoted text> You must be a fan of I AM OUT OF WORK WRECKS GROSSMAN. Wal-mart isn't even calling him. KO will be outstanding this year, he will have a much improved O-line, a much improved D-line( thanks to Rod) and a much improved defense now that BFF Babich is no longer running the defense. In my opinion babich and grossman should both be at wal mart.
IndyBearFan - you are an idiot - Wrecks Grossman? Wal-Mart? You are as lame as it gets.

I hope you are right about the rest of your comment.
Izzy

Odenton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

I think the Bears have enough talent on this current team to win the Super Bowl.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Hester, Davis, and Bennett? Angelo blows! I see Denver signing guys and making moves and the bears biggest move is signing some OL from another teams practice squad (well not that bad, but pretty close)!!! I'm not saying we should have gotten Cutler, but we have a lot of holes to fill and we cannot fill them all via the draft.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

I meant Cassel, not Cutler!
ct bears fan

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

so i don't mind the idea os bringing in sharper.... but if we could bring in sharper and also bring back mike brown withougt breaking the bank, then that would add some good veteran depth to the secondary. plus it would be added insurance since mike brown would be on I.R. after maybe week 8...
ICU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

It would be Great to get Sharper!! We would know the Viking team well from him. Plus he could fill our free safety spot while we try and replace it with youth. I think Steltz can be good with another year. So bring on Sharper for a few years,to teach our young. Mike Brown just cant be relied upon,he is hurt too much. Darren Sharper can help us now. This is a good move,if we can get it done.. Go Bears!!

Since: Feb 09

Northridge, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

I like Sharper,(Dawkins would've been way better) he's ten times better than Steltz, and safety is the Bears biggest weakness on defense. As for Indy Bear fan, I think I speak for everyone when I say don't post here anymore. Down with Angelo and down with Lovie!
ICU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

Bernie Bernzz wrote:
I like Sharper,(Dawkins would've been way better) he's ten times better than Steltz, and safety is the Bears biggest weakness on defense. As for Indy Bear fan, I think I speak for everyone when I say don't post here anymore. Down with Angelo and down with Lovie!
Dont forget Nada Surf and Bill,they need not post anymore either,we ALL agree on that. take care. Go Bears!!

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

ICU wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont forget Nada Surf and Bill,they need not post anymore either,we ALL agree on that. take care. Go Bears!!
i agree that nada needs to quit posting, but so do you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rashied Davis Discussions

Search the Rashied Davis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bears QB Jay Cutler Looking Great During Rehab (Jun '11) Jun '11 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Minnesota Vikings fall short in comeback, lose ... (Oct '08) Nov '10 Harry 221
Jay Cutler takes the field for the Chicago Bears (May '09) Nov '10 40for60 158
Bears searching for Cutler's backup (May '10) Jun '10 Bullfarts 9
WR spot open heading into Bears' preseason finale (Sep '09) Sep '09 IAVikeFan 1
Trio of Bears wideouts still battling for roste... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Tucker 1
Chicago Bears likely receiving corps looks good... (Aug '09) Aug '09 brett 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••