Open Letter to Steelers Kicker Jeff R...

Open Letter to Steelers Kicker Jeff Reed: It's TACKLE Football

There are 17 comments on the BleacherReport story from Nov 2, 2009, titled Open Letter to Steelers Kicker Jeff Reed: It's TACKLE Football. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

As if his off-field antics weren't enough to warrant a speedy departure. The Pittsburgh Steelers, after a slow start to the season, had rebounded nicely and were sitting on a 10-point lead over the undefeated Minnesota Vikings at Hienz Field Sunday, when troubled kicker Jeff Reed kicked the ball deep to Percy Harvin.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

John Adams

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Nov 2, 2009
Leave him alone. He is still the best kicker we have had since Matt Bahr. With the convicts we have in the NFL today Jeff Reid is a fricking Saint! Be glad you don't live in Cincinatti or Detroit.

Since: Feb 08

United States

#2 Nov 2, 2009
Kicking the ball and basicly walking off the field to give your team 10 on 11 is unfathomable for anybody. It's not soccer. You want to play soccer, find your nearest soccer team and play footsy. This is why kickers get no respect. The punter should take him out behind the shed and treat him like a jammed towel dispenser.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#3 Nov 2, 2009
John Adams wrote:
Leave him alone. He is still the best kicker we have had since Matt Bahr. With the convicts we have in the NFL today Jeff Reid is a fricking Saint! Be glad you don't live in Cincinatti or Detroit.
Agreed (mostly). I was pissed about the play, too, but it would be lunacy to get rid of a kicker who manages so well in the swirling winds of Heinz Field just because of one bonehead play. I dream of what would have happened if it had been Sepulveda back there instead. They'd still be trying to pry Harvin's helmet out of the visitor's bench.

United States

#4 Nov 2, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed (mostly). I was pissed about the play, too, but it would be lunacy to get rid of a kicker who manages so well in the swirling winds of Heinz Field just because of one bonehead play. I dream of what would have happened if it had been Sepulveda back there instead. They'd still be trying to pry Harvin's helmet out of the visitor's bench.
Not mad that he did not make the tackle. Angry as all He** he did not even throw his body down in front of him. Even Roy Gerela (Sp?), knew you have to try to save the TD.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#5 Nov 2, 2009
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>Not mad that he did not make the tackle. Angry as all He** he did not even throw his body down in front of him. Even Roy Gerela (Sp?), knew you have to try to save the TD.
Yeah, that was pretty putrid, I'll admit. I think that good kickers, though, are too hard to come by to be talking about getting rid of him over it. I imagine Tomlin made a locker-room spectacle of him the next day (reporting "The News"), so hopefully it won't happen again.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#6 Nov 3, 2009
pathetic? yes. game loser? didn't turn out to be. if the the coverage breaks down so much it's up to the kicker to tackle the return man then 10 other guys screwed up just as bad. raitliff sucks on kick coverage imo. we are missing anthony madison big time! also frazier i think wasn't in there. last season madison and davis were great on special teams and they are both gone. we miss those guys on kicks.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#7 Nov 3, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
pathetic? yes. game loser? didn't turn out to be. if the the coverage breaks down so much it's up to the kicker to tackle the return man then 10 other guys screwed up just as bad. raitliff sucks on kick coverage imo. we are missing anthony madison big time! also frazier i think wasn't in there. last season madison and davis were great on special teams and they are both gone. we miss those guys on kicks.
Frazier was definitely out, and he's the leading tackler on ST this season so far. Is he coming back for the Denver game?

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#8 Nov 3, 2009
Ratliff has been quite a dissapointment IMO. I was expecting much more from him since we acquired him, and would almost wonder if we'd been better off with Keenan Lewis or Burnett in there if they are available.

Madison was a gamer, much like Chidi Iwouma...a special teams demon.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#9 Nov 3, 2009
Biff 33 wrote:
Ratliff has been quite a dissapointment IMO. I was expecting much more from him since we acquired him, and would almost wonder if we'd been better off with Keenan Lewis or Burnett in there if they are available.
Madison was a gamer, much like Chidi Iwouma...a special teams demon.
I guess they figured raitliff was better playing defense...and he most likely is. all in all i think you're onto something and he is just a place holder for a year. next year our two new guys will step up.
Schmitty

Zelienople, PA

#10 Nov 15, 2009
Once again with the bengals, reed doesn't try to block the return....HORRIBLE! He didn't throw his body in front of the guy. 31 other kickers in the NFL would do that.

United States

#11 Nov 15, 2009
Schmitty wrote:
Once again with the bengals, reed doesn't try to block the return....HORRIBLE! He didn't throw his body in front of the guy. 31 other kickers in the NFL would do that.
Agreed. I don't get why simply throwing your body at the guys feet to even attempt to slow him up is such a big hassle. Part of the problem with the Kicks is because Reed can't get any depth. He should atleast be willing to atone for that with a half hearted effort.
Jay

Cleveland, OH

#13 Nov 15, 2009
I couldn't believe it. I watched it in slow motion several times. Reed just jogs right in front of the Bengals player

United States

#14 Nov 16, 2009
Jay wrote:
I couldn't believe it. I watched it in slow motion several times. Reed just jogs right in front of the Bengals player
I say, if he is not going to participate in the kickoff coverage, then get off the field right after he kicks it. Or maybe this says how important having a deep kicker with some tackling skills is, even if another guy has to kick the field goals. Maybe they should have some defenders tryout to see if they can kick to the 15. That would be as good as Reed and an actual defender could be on coverage.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#15 Nov 16, 2009
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>I say, if he is not going to participate in the kickoff coverage, then get off the field right after he kicks it. Or maybe this says how important having a deep kicker with some tackling skills is, even if another guy has to kick the field goals. Maybe they should have some defenders tryout to see if they can kick to the 15. That would be as good as Reed and an actual defender could be on coverage.
I wonder if Sepulveda could handle kickoffs. He is a devastating back-end tackler, but our punt coverage seems to be good enough that we never see it. Put him out there and I bet we would have saved at least two of those TDs.

United States

#16 Nov 16, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if Sepulveda could handle kickoffs. He is a devastating back-end tackler, but our punt coverage seems to be good enough that we never see it. Put him out there and I bet we would have saved at least two of those TDs.
I'm with you on this one 100% if Sepulveda could do it. Think about it. Instead of 3 kickoffs for TD's, it would be 1 and just maybe the Steelers are winners yesterday and on cruise control for a division title. Now, it's in a dogfight for a wildcard.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#17 Nov 16, 2009
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>I'm with you on this one 100% if Sepulveda could do it. Think about it. Instead of 3 kickoffs for TD's, it would be 1 and just maybe the Steelers are winners yesterday and on cruise control for a division title. Now, it's in a dogfight for a wildcard.
I honestly hope they're thinking about this. They ought to at least trot Sepulveda out there in practice tomorrow and test him on kickoffs. It would be a nice wake-up slap in the head for Reed to even see that, and if it works, try it on Sundays and remember during contract negotiations that the kicker lost half of his job.

United States

#18 Nov 16, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
I honestly hope they're thinking about this. They ought to at least trot Sepulveda out there in practice tomorrow and test him on kickoffs. It would be a nice wake-up slap in the head for Reed to even see that, and if it works, try it on Sundays and remember during contract negotiations that the kicker lost half of his job.
I would like to hear from Daniel on this issue. I mean if he can't do it, it would be nice to know they thought about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Percy Harvin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clemson vs Ohio State: NFL Draft Prospects to W... (Jan '17) Jan '17 felixArroyo 1
News Thompson: Marshawn Lynch to the Oakland Raiders... (Feb '15) Feb '15 TeamKrappers 7
News Source: Percy Harvin traded to Jets (Oct '14) Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 46
News Extra Points: Strike three is looming for Harvin (Oct '14) Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 4
News Minnesota Vikings News: Possible Trade Destinat... (Jun '12) Oct '14 VikingFarts 15
News Broncos, Seahawks top AP Pro32 before rematch (Sep '14) Sep '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Seattle dominates Denver 43-8 (Feb '14) Jul '14 Dave 10
More from around the web