Jones' touch continues to bring playo...

Jones' touch continues to bring playoff disappointment

There are 10 comments on the A liberal dose story from Jan 16, 2008, titled Jones' touch continues to bring playoff disappointment. In it, A liberal dose reports that:

The litany of blame continued Tuesday. For Cowboys fans, assigning blame is the only game left in town after a staggering 21-17 loss to the New York Giants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at A liberal dose.

jvasquigi

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jan 16, 2008
Your right the better team lost, where's the control and why were the luster lacking cowboys allowed to take a week off knowing that the most important games lay ahead? Maybe they will awake to the fact that they may never get the oppertunity to get within a game of the ever so elusive Superbowl championship. Wake up it's time to make some changes so they know you mean business!
howster

Prescott, Canada

#2 Jan 16, 2008
marion barber had over 100 yards in the first half! why didnt Phillips use him in the 2nd half. when barber gets rolling its hard to stop him.Phillips did the same thing in recent games also. why didnt they use terrell owens more against the beat up giants secondary? i am a diehard cowboys fan and always have been. just last week i got a tattoo of a cowboys star on my arm and everyone can see it. now i have to deal with that!
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

#3 Jan 16, 2008
howster wrote:
marion barber had over 100 yards in the first half! why didnt Phillips use him in the 2nd half. when barber gets rolling its hard to stop him.Phillips did the same thing in recent games also. why didnt they use terrell owens more against the beat up giants secondary? i am a diehard cowboys fan and always have been. just last week i got a tattoo of a cowboys star on my arm and everyone can see it. now i have to deal with that!
Barber started the game for the first time with the Cowboys and had more carries than ever before and you know what? He can't handle it, as hard as he runs he was gassed by the middle of the third quarter. For all you Cowboy fans screaming that he needs to be carrying the ball all the time, think of this game and remember why the 2 back system works so well. The real question is why did Wade and the coaching staff make this change in the biggest game of the year so far.
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#4 Jan 16, 2008
newanarchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Barber started the game for the first time with the Cowboys and had more carries than ever before and you know what? He can't handle it, as hard as he runs he was gassed by the middle of the third quarter. For all you Cowboy fans screaming that he needs to be carrying the ball all the time, think of this game and remember why the 2 back system works so well. The real question is why did Wade and the coaching staff make this change in the biggest game of the year so far.
I think you are correct about a two-back system, but my guess is they felt he earned it all year (and I would have to agree). And I'm not sure he was so gassed, rather that the Cowboys inexplicably stopped pounding it at a defense that had, up to that point, gave up two 90+ yard TD drives. Still, none of that lost the game. everyone seemed to be worried about Romo's preparedness, when they should have been concerned, apparently, over Patrick Crayton's. He stopped two drives on 3rd down by himself, and why he stopped running full speed on that last 3rd down when the go-ahead Td pass was there for him is beyond me--and apparently, Wade Phillips. The one healthy WR on the field other than special teamer Sam Hurd had to be counted on, and he wasn't. Beyond all of that, the defense gave up a TD drive with 53 seconds left in the first half that ended up being the difference. The Giants had a total of 57 yards on offense in the 2nd half. But congratulations to them. They made just enough plays to win.
The Cowboys made progress this year, for sure. I predicted before the season that they would go 11-5, if you recall. I also thought that they would represent the NFC in the Super Bowl, but hey, maybe that's next year. They, like the Packers, are built for staying power, despite the age of the current receiving corps. They also have 2 first round picks. Next year, they won't have the luxury of running away with the division early, and perhaps that will benefit them. I liken them to the 1996 Denver Broncos (who had the same result, by the way). Anyway, I'm an NFC guy, so good luck to the winner on Sunday, and they can find me in their corner come SB time.
Cowboyup

Honolulu, HI

#5 Jan 17, 2008
What sunday showed is that Barber is the feature back for Dallas, it also showed that what is missing is two things, the receivers need to see the blitz coming and adjust their routes, and the cowboys need a fullback like moose Johnston in the back field to protect Romo from the blitz. Yeah, I know the NFL is having problems finding them because colleges are getting away from that. But not in the SEC, they are out there. Yep run it with Barber, but go get a good back-up and a fullback in the draft or through free agency.
Phil

Ennis, TX

#6 Jan 20, 2008
Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry for having three straight losing seasons. He gave Landry no chance.

When the likeable but hapless Dave Campo was head coach, he had three straight 5-11 seasons before Jones mercifully sent him packing. Why doesn't Jones fire the one person most responsible for the Cowboys' playoff futility in the past decade--himself?
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#7 Jan 29, 2008
Phil wrote:
Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry for having three straight losing seasons. He gave Landry no chance.
When the likeable but hapless Dave Campo was head coach, he had three straight 5-11 seasons before Jones mercifully sent him packing. Why doesn't Jones fire the one person most responsible for the Cowboys' playoff futility in the past decade--himself?
A chance to do what? Continue with an old system and hanging on to guys like R. White, D. White, E. Jones, etc. far beyond their years? He was fading, and had been for some time. As for Campo, he was, unlike Landry, severely handicapped by cap penalties accrued by Dallas (which actually allowed them to win SBXXX). No way Dallas wins 3 SB's in the 90's without Jones firing Landry and bringing Johnson in. You need a history lesson.
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

#8 Jan 29, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>A chance to do what? Continue with an old system and hanging on to guys like R. White, D. White, E. Jones, etc. far beyond their years? He was fading, and had been for some time. As for Campo, he was, unlike Landry, severely handicapped by cap penalties accrued by Dallas (which actually allowed them to win SBXXX). No way Dallas wins 3 SB's in the 90's without Jones firing Landry and bringing Johnson in. You need a history lesson.
Every fan wishes they had an owner who would do and spend what it takes to win, I'm no fan of Jerry's but at least he wants to win.
Phil

Ennis, TX

#9 Feb 3, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>A chance to do what? Continue with an old system and hanging on to guys like R. White, D. White, E. Jones, etc. far beyond their years? He was fading, and had been for some time. As for Campo, he was, unlike Landry, severely handicapped by cap penalties accrued by Dallas (which actually allowed them to win SBXXX). No way Dallas wins 3 SB's in the 90's without Jones firing Landry and bringing Johnson in. You need a history lesson.
Okay, I am aware of what happened after Jones fired Landry. But who's to say that Landry would have hung on to "over-the-hill" players? He had brought in at least two new assistants in the brief time between the end of the 1988 season and the time Jones sacked him in February 1989. Jones still hasn't come anywhere near matching Landry's 20 straight winning seasons. In 1986, the Cowboys were 6-2 until QB Danny White got hurt; then they ended 7-9. Landry had gotten the team going after having five straight losing seasons at the start of his career, and after all those devastating losses to Cleveland before they finally won a Super Bowl.

Bottom line is: Landry deserved a chance in 1989. Jones and Johnson were both so egotistical they parted company in 1994, probably preventing Dallas from a third straight world title.(Granted, Barry Switzer delivered one in the 1995 season). But now, Jones has lost his touch. The Cowboys haven't won a playoff since 1996. Jones needs to fire just one person--HIMSELF.
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#10 Feb 4, 2008
Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Okay, I am aware of what happened after Jones fired Landry. But who's to say that Landry would have hung on to "over-the-hill" players? He had brought in at least two new assistants in the brief time between the end of the 1988 season and the time Jones sacked him in February 1989. Jones still hasn't come anywhere near matching Landry's 20 straight winning seasons. In 1986, the Cowboys were 6-2 until QB Danny White got hurt; then they ended 7-9. Landry had gotten the team going after having five straight losing seasons at the start of his career, and after all those devastating losses to Cleveland before they finally won a Super Bowl.
Bottom line is: Landry deserved a chance in 1989. Jones and Johnson were both so egotistical they parted company in 1994, probably preventing Dallas from a third straight world title.(Granted, Barry Switzer delivered one in the 1995 season). But now, Jones has lost his touch. The Cowboys haven't won a playoff since 1996. Jones needs to fire just one person--HIMSELF.
NO ONE will come close to Landry's 20 straight winning seasons, not in this new salary cap era, so that is a fascile analogy!
I remember those last Landry years well, and he was losing it. There were reports that he had become illucid at times, and even forgot his players' names! It was just time to go. You can debate the WAY in which it was done, but in the NFL, timing is everything, and there is nothing that would come close to guaranteeing that if the Cowboys had kept Landry that they would still have engineered the huge trades that enabled that 90's dynasty. It is preposterous for you to even believe that would have been possible, since it was Johnson behind those moves. Jerry restored greatness to the Cowboys, period. Yes, he has had some trouble adjusting to free agency and the cap, but his self-realization of the need for change is precisely what led to the hiring of Bill Parcells and the assemblage of the current roster--which, in case you haven't noticed by the NFL record 13 Pro Bowlers, is in pretty damned good shape! Landry's NFL is gone forever, and keeping him on for one more nostalgic season would have been the wrong turn. The history of the 90's Cowboys should speak that loud and clear to you. Don't get me wrong, it was Landry who helped capture my childhood imagination on behalf of the Dallas Cowboys. But that era is gone, and it was on its way out when Jones bought the team.

My thoughts are that, if Jones had not bought the team and showed Landry the door when he did, the 49ers would have easily won 3 straight Super Bowls in the 90's. Instead, Dallas took 2 of those, turned around, snorted a few lines, and took another from Farve's Packers for good measure. What would Landry have done with a dozen or so "Hollywood Hendersons"? LOL!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patrick Crayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brady, Pats Remain Perfect (Oct '07) Jan '11 Belichick Domination 223
News Could Dallas Cowboys Trade, Release Patrick Cra... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Loko 1
News Cowboys send Crayton to SD, McQuistan to Miami (Sep '10) Sep '10 Tony Romo 2
News Cowboys throw, catch, block better than day before (Aug '10) Aug '10 sun city fan 7
News Cowboys take on Cowboys North Sunday in Hall of... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Jojo 3
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dr Phil 5
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 proFootballTickets 1
More from around the web