Michael Vick indicted on dogfighting ...

Michael Vick indicted on dogfighting charges

There are 163 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 18, 2007, titled Michael Vick indicted on dogfighting charges. In it, Newsday reports that:

Michael Vick, once considered a superstar in the making and a fresh face for the NFL in the 21st century, now is a defendant in a federal criminal indictment related to alleged dogfighting on his property in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

deanna

Bronx, NY

#24 Aug 20, 2007
vick should do more jail time then 1yr
the NFL I hope and pray will ban him from football forever
Kimberley

Locust Grove, GA

#25 Aug 20, 2007
I agree with you Get Real. Thus far all I have heard people say are negative things abut Michael Vick. The news is the news and press is the press. You "never" get the full story. I see this as a "modern day lynching". Gone are the days when you could simply throw a rope and hang someone so this is the alternative. If in fact Michael Vick did those things then he should be held liable. I feel that this has been blown "way" out! There are people (celebrites, movie stars) that have done things "far" worse than this and have never seen a jailhouse. There was the case of Matthew Broderick (the man that played Ferris Bueller..Ferris Bueller's Day off in the 80's)..He killed someone..vehicular homicide..never went to jail..Rebecca Gayheart..(for those that know her..actress)..killed a young boy while driving down the street..just simply being careless..Another driver had stopped to let the boy cross the street and she drove around them being impatient..hit and killed the boy...no jail time..the list can go on and on. Right here in Georgia..Brian Nichols..the man that shot and killed all those poeple at the court house in Atlanta..He's still in jial.."awaiting trail"..for what..He killed them! Even when Kobe Bryant allegedly "raped" the young lady in Oklahoma..he continued to play during his trials etc..He lost his endorsements with McDonalds and Nutella but right now is playing ball and is flourishing. Michael Vick has been treated unfairly in this case. It seems as though he would have gotten a better shot if he had killed a "person". I love animals but this has been ridiculous. All of the sports writers are saying his career is over. If he goes to jail I would be willing to bet that he will be better of an more famous when he is released..."any" kind of publiciyt is good publicity.
Get Real wrote:
Wake up, it's more to it. Don't be the first to throw stones, it may hit you.
ST in Utah

Roy, UT

#26 Aug 20, 2007
Madeline Flores wrote:
I think Michael Vick is a disgrace to all human beings. He should be made an example of by punishing him with fines and jail time as well as throwing him off the team. This way other cruel "young"people will think twice before deciding this is a quick way to make money. We must protect these innocent animals from predators like Michael Vick and others like him who don't deserve a place among civilized people.
He is a disgrace and should be treated like he treated those innocent animals!!!!!!! An eye for an eye.
bertclar

Selden, NY

#27 Aug 20, 2007
THIS PIECE OF CRAP IS THE LOWEST OF LOW. I HOPE HE DIES A HORRIBLE SCARY DEATH IN PRISON AT THE HANDS OF SOMEONE WHO WILL TORTURE HIM AS HE HAS TORTURED THOSE POOR INNOCENT DOGS. WHAT A BIG TOUGH MAN. NOTHING BUT A COWARD. ROT IN HELL YOU PIECE OF CRAP. MAY YOU BE CURSED ALL THE REMAINING DAYS OF YOUR USELESS LIFE.

“The Bomb Diggity!”

Since: Jul 07

Westbury, Long Island, NY

#28 Aug 20, 2007
Sadly, Michael Vick will be fine. He will do a year in a fed pen in solitary cuz of who he is then get out and have ummm about 10 million dollars to live on for the rest of his life. He will disappear but make no mistake, he is not quaking in his boots. He blew it but he will still have more money than any one here COMBINED in money. Thats the sad part.
The dogs cant sue him, the dogs family cant sue him, the case is closed.

What a JERK and waste of life and God given talents.
geri

Monroe, NY

#29 Aug 20, 2007
Kimberley wrote:
I agree with you Get Real. Thus far all I have heard people say are negative things abut Michael Vick. The news is the news and press is the press. You "never" get the full story. I see this as a "modern day lynching". Gone are the days when you could simply throw a rope and hang someone so this is the alternative. If in fact Michael Vick did those things then he should be held liable. I feel that this has been blown "way" out! There are people (celebrites, movie stars) that have done things "far" worse than this and have never seen a jailhouse. There was the case of Matthew Broderick (the man that played Ferris Bueller..Ferris Bueller's Day off in the 80's)..He killed someone..vehicular homicide..never went to jail..Rebecca Gayheart..(for those that know her..actress)..killed a young boy while driving down the street..just simply being careless..Another driver had stopped to let the boy cross the street and she drove around them being impatient..hit and killed the boy...no jail time..the list can go on and on. Right here in Georgia..Brian Nichols..the man that shot and killed all those poeple at the court house in Atlanta..He's still in jial.."awaiting trail"..for what..He killed them! Even when Kobe Bryant allegedly "raped" the young lady in Oklahoma..he continued to play during his trials etc..He lost his endorsements with McDonalds and Nutella but right now is playing ball and is flourishing. Michael Vick has been treated unfairly in this case. It seems as though he would have gotten a better shot if he had killed a "person". I love animals but this has been ridiculous. All of the sports writers are saying his career is over. If he goes to jail I would be willing to bet that he will be better of an more famous when he is released..."any" kind of publiciyt is good publicity.<quoted text>
Hey, Kimberly, you need to re-read what you wrote. The people you talk about did not intentionally set out to kill anyone. They made really bad decisions. This idiot ball player did what he did by choice. He admitted his guilt. There should be no plea bargin. He needs to be sent to jail for the maximum time allowed. And about his career, it's over. We don't need him influencing young kids like this. As a matter of fact, we don't need the likes of him anywhere.
You Get Real

Front Royal, VA

#30 Aug 20, 2007
A view from Richmond: Kimberly, two (or more) wrongs don't make a right. He was lucky to get the plea bargain - the NFL should now dropkick his beehind out of the league. Oh, I'm sure there's a "league" somewhere that would take him - in a country run by thugs like him, such as in Iran or North Korea. I don't give a rusty nail what color he is - as someone just said on TV, the dogs didn't care, and neither does justice. Na na na na hey hey goodbye, moron!
Disgusted in Atlanta

Greensboro, NC

#31 Aug 20, 2007
I am so disgusted with Ron "ookie" Mexico. It's a shame Mr Blank didn't see the red flags of his behavior, it's all so disgraceful.
The best news of the last few days, folks are sending their Vick jerseys to the humane society and they are using them to muck out dog kennels and letting the dogs use them for bedding. Fitting.
DISGUSTED

Monmouth, ME

#32 Aug 20, 2007
MICHAEL VICK IS THE MOST VILE, DESPICABLE CREATURE THAT WAS EVER PUT ON THIS EARTH. HE CAN'T EVEN BE CALLED HUMAN; NO ONE WITH A SOUL COULD DO WHAT HE DID TO THOSE INNOCENT, HELPLESS, BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS. VICK SHOULD BE PLACED IN AN ARENA WITH DOZENS OF STARVING ANIMALS, AT WHICH TIME US DOGLOVERS CAN BET ON HOW LONG HE LASTS.
francisco

Glendale, CA

#33 Aug 20, 2007
vick is not only a disgrace to his own race and to humanity as a whole. he is a disgrace to god. no escspe from that!
Double Standard

Stamford, CT

#34 Aug 20, 2007
What the saddest part of this whole thing, this disgusting event or chain of events, is the "black community's" support of this guy, and now, their hope that he "learns his lesson". There is no lesson to be learned other than that they blacks will support their own no matter how vile, and spin it as though he will be "rehabilitated" in jail, thus earning his career back, and that he isn't, along with his community, an animal.
Mad Cow

New York, NY

#35 Aug 21, 2007
Michael Vick is a disgrace. I'm sick of hearing all this blame it culture crap too.
Michael Vick knew all to well what he was doing here was legally and morally wrong.
If he's smart and talented enough to land a 130 million dollar contract and millions more thrrew endorsements, what has his culture done for this matter?

I really hope the NFL makes an example out of Vick and banns him for life, as did MLB did to Pete Rose.
Vick's crime is way more harsh that Pete Rose's was.
The Reaper

Auburn Hills, MI

#36 Aug 21, 2007
Michael Vick is a serial killer of innocents. The travesty is that he has been found guilty of only lesser charges and will probably do only a very short sentence in prison, after which he will probably continue being a serial killer after he is released.

I hope that he is permanently banned from playing in professional sports. Such evil things as he should not be exalted as professional sports players are in society. It is just sick to exalt a serial killer who has taken part in all the atrocities as he has done.

Pete Rose was banned from professional sports for life for much less harm. Michael Vick should receive at least the same bann for life from professional sports.
Brian H

Medina, NY

#37 Aug 21, 2007
Kimberley wrote:
I agree with you Get Real. Thus far all I have heard people say are negative things abut Michael Vick. The news is the news and press is the press. You "never" get the full story. I see this as a "modern day lynching". Gone are the days when you could simply throw a rope and hang someone so this is the alternative. If in fact Michael Vick did those things then he should be held liable. I feel that this has been blown "way" out! There are people (celebrites, movie stars) that have done things "far" worse than this and have never seen a jailhouse. There was the case of Matthew Broderick (the man that played Ferris Bueller..Ferris Bueller's Day off in the 80's)..He killed someone..vehicular homicide..never went to jail..Rebecca Gayheart..(for those that know her..actress)..killed a young boy while driving down the street..just simply being careless..Another driver had stopped to let the boy cross the street and she drove around them being impatient..hit and killed the boy...no jail time..the list can go on and on. Right here in Georgia..Brian Nichols..the man that shot and killed all those poeple at the court house in Atlanta..He's still in jial.."awaiting trail"..for what..He killed them! Even when Kobe Bryant allegedly "raped" the young lady in Oklahoma..he continued to play during his trials etc..He lost his endorsements with McDonalds and Nutella but right now is playing ball and is flourishing. Michael Vick has been treated unfairly in this case. It seems as though he would have gotten a better shot if he had killed a "person". I love animals but this has been ridiculous. All of the sports writers are saying his career is over. If he goes to jail I would be willing to bet that he will be better of an more famous when he is released..."any" kind of publiciyt is good publicity.<quoted text>
Gee Kimberly what positive thing would you like me to say about Mike Vick"he hasnt killed a cat". Funny how you didn't mention the more recent car accident like Brandy how threw carelessness killed a mother of two hmmm. As far as Mathew,Rebecca,and Brandy none of these people set out to hurt anyone.There called accidents and all accidents have some degree of carelessness about them.MV chose to kill those dogs on purpose by drowning,slamming them into the ground, and electrocuting them.To bad he didnt pull an OJ and just take a knife to them it would have been less painful,but just as sick. Now as for Brian Nichols he's in jail awaiting trial he aint going anywhere he's entitled to have a trial and so's MV. Like Brian he would have been found guilty except he plea bargained.
Jen

Mamaroneck, NY

#38 Aug 21, 2007
BIGD wrote:
Who needs the NFL anyway? If it stopped tomorrow who is going to loose their job, car, house, etc.? We need more Black doctors, teachers, engineers, nurses, etc. Right now in 30 of our largest cities and metro areas less than 50% of young black will graduate high school. This is the lowest since the statistics began in 1940. When is the last time Vick took any of that money and enhanced the chances of out Black youth? Hell the $46,000 he had in that bag to bet on dogs would have put some smart but disadvantaged Black student through college. The multinational corporations along with the NFL and NBA have made "gods" out of in many cases nearly illiterate individuals for the sake of cashing in monetarily.
These people are about as far removed from the dreams and goals expressed by Dr. Martin Luther King as we are from the planet Pluto.
Part of his mulitmillion dollar living is acting as a role model for children. Whether you want to admit it or not, he is not just a ball player. He earns what he earns for being so renowned. Look at how many people know who he is!! Think of all the kids (especially the inner city black ones) who idolized this guy and look at him like he's a hero. That's his living.
Elaine

AOL

#39 Aug 21, 2007
Michael Vick is subhuman. And I am sick and tired of people blaming this behavior on his "bad choices" by hanging with "the wrong types". Isn't it interesting that his "homies" turned on him? Isn't it interesting that it took him over a month to get out from under his lies and plead guilty? What an arrogant and evil young man. A friend of mine suggested he play one down this season and then he gets hit and snaps his spine. See how you like that Vick.
jscb40342

Lawrenceburg, KY

#40 Aug 21, 2007
Shaun Powell seems to feel that Michael Vick hasn't been taught right from wrong and that is the reason that he has mistreated animals. That is just one more excuse for bad behavior. With the type of education that one gets at VA. Tech., I feel quite confident that someone might have mentioned acceptable behavior. Michael Vick has been shown compassion throughout his life but he simply didn't learn the lesson. Give up on the idea that growing up in the projects makes you a bad person. Vick is a viscious insensitive adult that does know right from wrong. You are insulting people who grew up in the projects and didn't turn out like Vick. Enough of spoiled athletes! Let them get a real job and work for a living.
Gary

Bronx, NY

#41 Aug 21, 2007
I feel Vick should serve 7 years for every dog he killed,should be thrown out of the natl felony league,when this all started he lied to every one now that all his cronies flipped on him hes changing his tune and every one forgives??? bulls--t he did the crime now do the time He was raised by a mother in the getto so what you still know right from wrong,and what he did was wrong dead wrong those dogs dint perform well they were hurt so instead of medical care he body slammed them against a wall or hung them....These are gods creatures put here to be loved if he had a bad game did the falcons body slam him or hang him??? Vick give back the money take the heat and DROPDEAD I would like to meet him so i can tell him in person Vick Your a SAvage
sick of vick

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#42 Aug 21, 2007
I can't believe what I just read by Shaun Powell. Let's feel sorry for poor little Vick because he rose up from the slums, got a college education, and a $130 million contract to play professional football, and just so happened to have a passion for tormenting,killing, and watching dogs mangle each other. Let me tell you how sorry I feel for him. I guess you can take the lowlives out of the slums, but you can't take the slums out of the lowlives. I wonder what Oprah would say to that. Is she secretly sponsering cock fighting? After all this would certainly be understandable because she grew up poor and black. Lets make more excuses for poor black people and blame our society for their crimes.Shaun Powell is a disgrace to
Newsday readers with his racial bias of this situation. How dare you even bring that in to the picture and use it as a defense. Are you, and Tiki Barber that slanted by your bias that YOU do not see right from wrong?! Next thing we know, Al Sharpton will be leading Vick around by a leash and leading a million man march to defend him. If you worked for my newspaper, Mr. Powell, you would be fired for racism. Oh, and let me know how you feel when your sister is raped by a poor, black man from the ghettos?
unbelievable

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#43 Aug 21, 2007
If Michael Vick has the audacity to publically acknowledge his crimes and offer his deepest regrets for having sponsered events that promote animal cruelty at its worst-I say, just don't even bother. The only thing he regrets is getting caught.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pacman Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play Ms.PacMan (Feb '12) Feb '12 LvGigs 1
News Pacman in trouble yet again (Nov '10) Nov '10 nomercy 1
News Agent: Lions have 'great interest' in Pacman Jones (Mar '10) Mar '10 college park 1
News CFL Team Says It's Not Signing Pacman Jones (Sep '09) Feb '10 Bullfarts 7
News Feds indict Vick (Jul '07) Sep '09 Doglover-7 46
News 'Makin' it rain' a questionable judgment for Young (Jul '09) Jul '09 truone 1
News Prima Donna Alert? Titans Chris Johnson Announc... (Jul '09) Jul '09 truone 2
More from around the web