Kyle Orton plays it safe with injury

Kyle Orton plays it safe with injury

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 10, 2008, titled Kyle Orton plays it safe with injury. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It's one thing to let Kyle Orton call his own plays at the line of scrimmage, but quite another to allow the quarterback to decide whether he tests an ankle to which he has no business risking further injury.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#1 Nov 11, 2008
Why has Jamar Willimas been leapfrogged by Roach? Also, to all the veterans out there, I tip my hat to you on this Armistice Day. You are the best that this nation has to offer!
Denny Green

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Nov 11, 2008
Grossman played okay, especially considering the wind. Wondering why Brandon Lloyd was not back in the line-up. Booker clearly can not get open, and the little guys cannot beat the jam. Hester got schooled on our last offensive play. Why are the tight ends blocking instead of giving the QB some targets? Why is Turner making Rex pass all the time?
Steve

Carmel, IN

#5 Nov 11, 2008
If it was Orton's decision, he is an embarrassment. Our "franchise QB" is willing to sit on the sideline when the medical staff says he can play. Are we still in Chicago? Does this article really applaud a Bear for wanting to sit on the sideline?
Bill

Wayne, IL

#6 Nov 11, 2008
Steve wrote:
If it was Orton's decision, he is an embarrassment. Our "franchise QB" is willing to sit on the sideline when the medical staff says he can play. Are we still in Chicago? Does this article really applaud a Bear for wanting to sit on the sideline?

What are you talking about ??

Since: Jul 08

Windsor, Ontario

#7 Nov 11, 2008
I'm afraid that KO coming back for the Packers game won't make a difference. If our defence doesn't get a handle on their pass protection, we lose.
C'mon Lovie, wake up your buddie Babich or get lost and let somebody else call the shots!
GO BEARS, TEAR 'EM UP!!!
Randy M

United States

#8 Nov 11, 2008
Without Orton starting at quarterback Da Bears have absolutely no chance to keep up with the Packers who will throw for 400 yards!
Steve

Carmel, IN

#9 Nov 11, 2008
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about ??
The article states "If the Bears indeed left it up to Orton whether he would play Sunday with a sprained ankle—the version according to Orton—then what exactly is the medical staff's role". The Herald also reported on Monday that Orton decided not to play. I also spoke to someone on the sideline during the game, and Orton went through warm-up and apparently looked OK.
Conspiracy Theorist

Anaheim, CA

#10 Nov 11, 2008
If you were Orton, and you wanted to drive the final nail in the Grossman-in-Chicago Coffin, wouldn't it make sense to let your main competitor look bad against a really good defense? Then, when you go out and "lead the Bears to victory" against Green Bay, followed with lights-out performances against bad pass defenses in Minnesota and St. Louis, you will be treated like Joe Montana even more than you were before the injury. Now someone tell me this isn't far-fetched, if, in fact, Orton was healthy enough to play Sunday.
Bill

Wayne, IL

#11 Nov 11, 2008
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
The article states "If the Bears indeed left it up to Orton whether he would play Sunday with a sprained ankle—the version according to Orton—then what exactly is the medical staff's role". The Herald also reported on Monday that Orton decided not to play. I also spoke to someone on the sideline during the game, and Orton went through warm-up and apparently looked OK.

You haven't figured out that the Bears are blowing smoke up our a^s*s^e*s.

He'll be out about a month.

Since: Apr 08

Park Ridge, IL

#12 Nov 11, 2008
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't figured out that the Bears are blowing smoke up our a^s*s^e*s.
He'll be out about a month.
DING-! DING-!! DING-!!!

What do we have for him Johnny?!
JYS

Schaumburg, IL

#13 Nov 11, 2008
"Franchise quarterback"? You're ready to appoint him that after a handful of games almost all against sub .500 teams? Rex came out hot in '06 and look at what he's pulled. I know the Bears have lower standards for a "franchise" QB but remember, this is still Kyle Orton, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Playoffs??

Since: Apr 08

Park Ridge, IL

#14 Nov 11, 2008
JYS wrote:
"Franchise quarterback"? You're ready to appoint him that after a handful of games almost all against sub .500 teams? Rex came out hot in '06 and look at what he's pulled. I know the Bears have lower standards for a "franchise" QB but remember, this is still Kyle Orton, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Playoffs??
Can I buy you a Coors Light my good fellow?

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

#15 Nov 11, 2008
JYS wrote:
Maybe we can trade him for Kerry Collins? I mean, we made that guy look like Joe Freakin' Montana out there!!

Legit franchise quarterbacks seem to be a rare breed these days. Who would we want besides Orton, or Grossman if you please?

We probably could have had Favre, McNabb etc. but do we want those guys? I think Orton is about as good as anyone available to us.
Jerseyboy

Bayville, NY

#16 Nov 12, 2008
Randy M wrote:
Without Orton starting at quarterback Da Bears have absolutely no chance to keep up with the Packers who will throw for 400 yards!
excuse me but what is rex record vs the pack. see you are just ignorant a complete hater. we clearly have two qbs that are not bad compared to other teams and because you guys want rex to leave so bad you are praising orton when we have the easiest schedule in our division. you guys are just sad orton is not a franchise qb believe me. i'm not saying rex is but give him a better offense and he'll out shine any qb in the league. stats don't lie while orton has two games of 100 passing rating rex had 7 and was tied for 1st with peyton manning. yea that might have been in the past but clearly this offense has shifted in favor of orton not just personnel but playcalling.
Jerseyboy

Bayville, NY

#17 Nov 12, 2008
Conspiracy Theorist wrote:
If you were Orton, and you wanted to drive the final nail in the Grossman-in-Chicago Coffin, wouldn't it make sense to let your main competitor look bad against a really good defense? Then, when you go out and "lead the Bears to victory" against Green Bay, followed with lights-out performances against bad pass defenses in Minnesota and St. Louis, you will be treated like Joe Montana even more than you were before the injury. Now someone tell me this isn't far-fetched, if, in fact, Orton was healthy enough to play Sunday.
wow thank you now your cooking.. I totally believe the same thing. in my mind i wanted orton to play badly because i wanted to see if the hype was really true. I'm a rex supporter but i was willing to give orton my stamp of approval had he won that game. I heard the same conflicting statements how he was ready to go. He opt not to play because he knew this game would be tough and he did not want to ruin his little image he has going on. I'm telling you man this only makes me appreciate rex even more that he would go out there vs a top 5 defense and perform better than i thought he would in the pocket not so much passing but not making the crucial mistakes to kill us. orton is no damn franchise that guy is a loser playing like this vs garbage comp doesn't mean bleep to me. This guy hasn't even won a playoff game and people are calling him a franchise. i'll admit he may look better than rex and that's only because he's had more reps than he has like 8 wks worth. anyone who can't see that orton bitch up on this one is a fool. his agent probably told him not to play just to secure his so call franchise ticket. lol yea sure buddy in your dreams. I say the bears start all over draft two qbs and get rid of lovie and turner and urlacher all leaving halas hall holding hands with Jerry Angelo in a coffin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nick Roach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oakland Raiders happy with free-agency upgrades (Mar '15) Mar '15 Oakland Faders Sux 1
News Raiders agree to deal with free agent LB Malcol... (Mar '15) Mar '15 j_raiders 1
News Kevin Burnett Only Hurting Himself By Not Atten... (Jun '14) Jun '14 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 9
News Raiders Now Have a Full House at Linebacker (May '14) May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 6
News Raiders, Houston Texans reportedly discussing S... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Zild0405 12
News Raiders to get visit from Washington Redskins l... (Mar '14) Mar '14 RaiderNation 1
News Reggie McKenzie says Raiders have improved (Dec '13) Dec '13 Corran Horn 5
More from around the web