Camp questions: Can Higgins return to...

Camp questions: Can Higgins return to '08 form?

There are 6 comments on the Inside The Oakland Raiders story from Jul 15, 2010, titled Camp questions: Can Higgins return to '08 form?. In it, Inside The Oakland Raiders reports that:

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer Thursday, July 15th, 2010 at 12:08 pm in Oakland Raiders .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inside The Oakland Raiders.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

" I DA HO " !

#1 Jul 15, 2010
when higgins took that hardass hit he was in la la land. will he recover? personally? i doubt it! i can tell you one thing, he is strong minded and willing to put the effort to make a comeback. he didn't do it long after that hit but will 2010 be different? it's been a long season of flashbacks but on the other hand he may just recover fine. i sure hope he does because he made a difference when he was in sharp form. "before the hit"
RAIDERS 2010!!!
Freddy

Granger, IN

#2 Jul 16, 2010
I think the new Special Teams coach (Fassell) had more to do with Higgin's drop in production than the hit. It seemed that Fassell did not get the respect from the players until he walked on the field yelling at the refs (received a penalty). Also, the Raiders did not have another player that could field a punt if Higgins was hurt again after he returned (Javon Walker almost muffed a fair catch). I don't expect Higgins to be the starter at returning punts this season. He will be the back-up behind Ford and spend more time on the field at WR.

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#3 Jul 16, 2010
Freddy wrote:
I think the new Special Teams coach (Fassell) had more to do with Higgin's drop in production than the hit. It seemed that Fassell did not get the respect from the players until he walked on the field yelling at the refs (received a penalty). Also, the Raiders did not have another player that could field a punt if Higgins was hurt again after he returned (Javon Walker almost muffed a fair catch). I don't expect Higgins to be the starter at returning punts this season. He will be the back-up behind Ford and spend more time on the field at WR.
I agree with your comment about the special teams coach being a reason for Higgins drop in 2009. It seems that DHB, Schilens, and Murphy are locks to make the team at WR. You've got Higgins, Ford, and N Miller competing for returner jobs and one of them won't make it. Then again Cable kept 6 WRs last year with the 6th being Javon Walker and all he did was muff a punt.
Freddy

Granger, IN

#4 Jul 16, 2010
TexasRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your comment about the special teams coach being a reason for Higgins drop in 2009. It seems that DHB, Schilens, and Murphy are locks to make the team at WR. You've got Higgins, Ford, and N Miller competing for returner jobs and one of them won't make it. Then again Cable kept 6 WRs last year with the 6th being Javon Walker and all he did was muff a punt.
With Watkins, the Raiders kept seven WRs when Camp broke. Realistically, the only had five considering Walker was not used and Miller was injured. I think that you right that the Raiders will break camp with 6 WRs this year (Miller seems to be on the outside).

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#5 Jul 17, 2010
The punt returner and Kick off returner jobs will play a major role in who makes the team among 5 players...Rock Cartwright, Michael Bennett, Jacoby Ford, Johnnie Lee Higgins, and Nick Miller. If Nick Miller can't win the kick off returner job, then he'll be out most likely. Cartwright and Bennett are fighting for the #3 tail back spot and if Cartwright wins the kickoff returner job, then he'll get the #3 TB job. However, the fact that Cartwright and Campbell have been teammates before plus Cartwrights ability to return kickoffs will give him the edge over Bennett anyways. The only way both will make the team is if one can play fullback. Ford can be effective as both a WR and KR so I think he'll make the team for sure. Higgins could likely get traded if he doesn't win the PR job and I think we could get a decent trade for him...It will be interesting
Freddy

Granger, IN

#6 Jul 19, 2010
TexasRaider wrote:
The punt returner and Kick off returner jobs will play a major role in who makes the team among 5 players...Rock Cartwright, Michael Bennett, Jacoby Ford, Johnnie Lee Higgins, and Nick Miller. If Nick Miller can't win the kick off returner job, then he'll be out most likely. Cartwright and Bennett are fighting for the #3 tail back spot and if Cartwright wins the kickoff returner job, then he'll get the #3 TB job. However, the fact that Cartwright and Campbell have been teammates before plus Cartwrights ability to return kickoffs will give him the edge over Bennett anyways. The only way both will make the team is if one can play fullback. Ford can be effective as both a WR and KR so I think he'll make the team for sure. Higgins could likely get traded if he doesn't win the PR job and I think we could get a decent trade for him...It will be interesting
If Cartwright can return kicks, I would not be surprised if the Raiders keep both Bennett and Cartwright (especially with McFadden's injury history). I don't believe JLH has a lot of trade value and the Raiders would prefer to resign him. If Miller has a great camp and preseason like last year, he may push Watkins for the last roster spot, and not so much JLH. Miller's inability to stay healthy definetly works against him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nick Miller Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oakland Raiders notebook: Rookie Stefen Wisniew... (Aug '11) Aug '11 TexasRaider 8
News Raiders Dive Into the UFA Pool (Jul '11) Jul '11 TexasRaider 1
News ESPN: Kiffin grievance denied (Nov '10) Nov '10 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 1
News Raiders kick away Chiefs for overtime victory (Nov '10) Nov '10 Jonny black 3
News NFL: Raiders beat Chiefs 23-20 in overtime (Nov '10) Nov '10 Bullfarts 8
News Raiders' Miller gets his opportunity (Oct '10) Oct '10 azb 1
News Oakland Raiders training camp: Little depth, fe... (Jul '10) Jul '10 bulldog3 4
More from around the web