Bill Callahan hired as assistant head coach by Jets

Jan 19, 2008 | Posted by: The Associated Press | Full story: The Associated Press

“Coach Mangini has assembled a fine coaching staff and I look forward to working with them and contributing to the team.”

Bill Callahan, fired as coach at Nebraska after last season, was hired Friday as assistant head coach/offense by the New York Jets.

Callahan, who coached the Oakland Raiders to the 2002 AFC championship before they lost to Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl, has 31 years coaching experience, including nine in the NFL.

'Bill brings valuable experience as an assistant coach and head coach on both the college and NFL levels,' Jets coach Eric Mangini said. 'His expertise with the running game and with protections will be a big asset. I look forward to adding him to our staff.' Read more

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
mwgfret
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Bill #*@#*$# Callahan. It looks like Mangenius has found a sure fire way to make the Jets worse. There are times when the "old boys network" approaches total stupidity.

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Sometimes it works. Bill is not a good head coach but may do well as an assistant.
BO FENSE

Fremont, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

I AM SURPRISED THAT CALLAHAN DID NOT GET A JOB AS A HEAD COACH JOB AT SOME SMALL COLLEGE
Andrew

Neptune, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

He shouldnt be coachign at all anywhere! I dont even think he's good enough to be an assistant coach for a Jv high school team! He's a low-life loser who cant lead his team to win football games!
jth

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Good for him. I guess he can rip off the jet's by being over paid. He ruined Husker football. If he would have kept Pelini when he interviewed for the defensive corrdinator job, he may still have been able to keep his job. Instead, he brought along his pal Cosgrove that dismantled the "black shirt" defense. Better there than here.
Good ridence.

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

He was a good O Corrdinator for Gruden and the Raiders...he just isn't a good Head Coach....But he should do well as an o coordinator
Andrew wrote:
He shouldnt be coachign at all anywhere! I dont even think he's good enough to be an assistant coach for a Jv high school team! He's a low-life loser who cant lead his team to win football games!
Mark D- Omaha Ne

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2008

Bill "it's about time you leave college football" Callahan. Why he lasted that long in Nebraska is beyond me. I hope they reminded him in the interview what the word TEAM means. For you Jets fans...don't get to excited...you may only have 3 wins next season. Don't spend all the severence money in one place Bill and don't forget Pederson at Christmas. He deserves some of your loot.
john

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2008

good move by the jets. now they need a defensive coach.
Twilight Zone

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2008

Callahan wasn't bad for us as OC. Maybe he can help that moribund franchise.
husker billy

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Looking forward to a 19-0 season next year with Billy C being part of the staff.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Nick Mangold Discussions

Search the Nick Mangold Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Geno Smith's Responsibility (Nov '13) Dec '13 Timmy Teblow 7
McKnight, Peterman Among Jets' 14 Cuts (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
Ex-New York Jets Coach Eric Mangini Could Be Gr... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Runt Sports 2
New York Jets: Lessons to be Learned from the P... (Feb '13) Feb '13 School of No Thought 4
Jets' forgettable season nears end (Dec '12) Dec '12 Fl Football Fan 3
NFL: Titans end Jets' playoff hopes with 14-10 win (Dec '12) Dec '12 Laughing Bear Fan 2
New York Jets - Somehow Very Relevant In December (Dec '12) Dec '12 TimTeblowJob 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••