2013 NFL Mock Draft: The Green Bay Packers Selecta

Jan 15, 2013 Full story: LombardiAve 16

Apr 26, 2012; New York, NY, USA; A general view of the 2012 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall.

Full Story
fireflame624

Duluth, GA

#1 Jan 20, 2013
As a diehard fan its time for Ted Thompson to finally pull the trigger and draft a top tier rb no disrespect to Alex Green because you can keep him along with Dejuan Harris but if that kid Eddie Lacy is on the board at that time then you must take that kid and begin to make a couple of runs at some championships while you still have a talented team with most of your guys being young.So its timeout for all of this running back by committee stuff now draft one who we all actually see make an impact on Saturdays and that's Eddie lacy,pair him with Dejuan Harris and A.Rodgers then the defense has to get out of that two safety high look and put one in the box for run support and then guess what its a smorgasboard for A.Rodgers and those receivers on the outside because its a legetimate threat at running back!
eric

Neillsville, WI

#2 Jan 20, 2013
Very nice but i with all due respect have to disagree.GB has to build the Oline..If they have a good oline,that makes the running game better.
Id rather a good line and a decent back,then a great back and a weak oline,,We have to keep AR upright as well and a strong OLINE is a better solution for that then a better RB.DuJaun Harris and Alex Green are good enough backs with a solid Oline and i believe GB will try to bring back Cedric Benson as well for a year or 2.
IM hoping Barrett Jones is on the board ( i dont think it will happen but) if not,GB needs a quicker LB or a quicker D.linemen as well.A good RB can be found in the later rounds
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

#3 Jan 21, 2013
We need to get tougher. Jesse Williams of Alabama would be good. John Jenkins of Georgia--big guys to put in that D-line rotation. I agree about an enforcer safety, though it is not a great draft class for it--unless you can shift an small LB to safety--like an Alec Ogletree--or a smaller school guy as they did with Collins. It's not a deep inside LB draft either, but we could use depth there. Strength up the middle and tacklers. We really need depth at OT, too. There's skill guys in the late rounds, for sure. Deep deep WR draft. I can see us taking one or two... it is the Pack, after all.
eric

Neillsville, WI

#4 Jan 21, 2013
The one good thing out of all of this.We need to get tough at inside LB and we get Desmond Bishop back and he is a tough,gritty guy back there.Its no great at Safety which is why im hoping Sean Richardson ( just had some sort of back surgery) makes a full recovery and can play.Hes a good size guy as well ( somewhere around 6 1--6 2 around 210-215 or so.Im also hoping McMillian takes the step up.Hes not real but if you believe what his coach said after he was drafted,the kid is a hitter.
question of the day....Can we somehow get Bulaga to play LT and maybe play a healthy Andrew Datko at RT OR we can start Barclay there,he had his good and bad moments but for an undrafted player w/o really any experience in the NFL he didnt play that badly and could very well get better..
Im going on the assumption Woodson will be gone and Hawk as well and Bishop is the physical player there.Yea,you are right,we must get tougher and IMHO,we must draft a better Center,and get tougher on the dline! Like i said Bishop ( getting back) will help DJ Smith for depth and Nick Perry should really help as well.
I can def agree with you about taking a WR with our first round pick! TT hasnt drafted a WR in the past few drafts and since Jennings will be gone.Jones and Nelson are FA after 14 i believe.Its been said TT wants to resign AR,CM and BJ Raji in the next 6-9 months so thats a ton of cash and pretty much pushes Hawk out ( cap reasons) Woodson and i can see the Packers trading or out right cutting Tramon WIlliams and freeing up 6M or so.
With an open corner back competition for next year ( its been written Williams is not guaranteed a starting spot for next year) we have Shields,House who should be 100% and Hayward
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#5 Jan 22, 2013
I agree with Eric,
Rebuild the O-line, then get a RB
GBPmies

Finland

#6 Jan 23, 2013
We NEED better DEs in my opinion. Imagine two beasts to play along side Raji.... Our LBs would have a much easier time making plays if those 3 guys are eating up blocks, playing tough, and getting pressure. Pickett is ok and he can still rotate in too but we need some fresh talent in there. CJ Wilson? He is not going to cut it. Worthy? Maybe on passing downs…

So my hope/guess, and only that, because I don't know any better. I not a GM of anything. But keep Woodson at Safety for 1 more year to see how the young guys pan out before replacing them.

1. DL
2. DL
3. OL
4. RB or WR
5. I don't care really ... TE? OL?
eric

Neillsville, WI

#7 Jan 23, 2013
Good call! Build from the inside out.A stronger OL makes the RB that much better.A stronger D.L. makes the LB job easier,but, we can still use to be faster and tougher at LB.We do get Perry back ( hes missed a ton of his rookie season,so who knows what we will get there),we get Desmond Bishop back as well ( coming back from a torn Hammy and honestly i dont know much about coming back from that,its not pushed like coming back from an ACL is by commentators on broadcasts,,,,its not talked about is what i should say)IF Perry and Bishop come back and Bishop is the same ole Bishop,,quick and tough and Perry ( who missed a ton in his rookie season) will have to come back from missing time in his rookie season but if he makes up a bit and learns and builds on what he had last year nad improves we do have 2 improvements at LB and got quicker,stronger and tougher.Looking at it that way ( for me at least) it tells me we need to improve at DE and Center or LT.
Reading last night that Bulaga may get a look at LT ( if he could play LT,why did we have 2 years of Newhouse there?) but if Bulaga proves he can play LT, that would help since we have no idea what we can get from Sherrod ( if hes healthy 100%,he should kick ass there,but, after that injury,who knows if he will ever get there).That leaves maybe moving Newhouse to RT or Andrew Datko,Don Barclay may move back,he should be better with the final few games and the playoffs under his belt and of course there is always a late pick in the draft.
I wouldnt be surprised if they go WR high in the draft as well.TT hasnt drafted a WR in a few years and since Jennings is prob. gone.Driver as well, and James Jones and Jordy Nelson are both FA after 14,it may be wise to grab another WR with a high pick.LT are a bitch to find,SO if Bulaga can make it work there and we can toughen up at Center,GB oline should be much better and that will help AR,the running game ect
GBPmies

Finland

#8 Jan 24, 2013
It might be a bit risky cutting Hawk, even if we draft early at ILB. Bishop is great and hope he returns back to 100% but he tore his hammy off the bone, he might not fully recover from that. There were also a lot of other injuries at ILB and B Jones is FA too. Maybe they wait one more year before letting Hawk go. Last year Hawk was the best we had at ILB but if Bishop returns that will not be the case, Bishops return should help Hawk too.
eric

Neillsville, WI

#9 Jan 24, 2013
With Smith and Bishop coming back,Perry on his way from the injured wrist and if Greene is right and he is going to be that asskicker Greene thinks,Hawk is expendable for cap reasons.Hawk hasnt been that highlight film type LB but is very solid,but, GB can use the cap space and with like ive said,Perry and Bishop as well as Smith coming back makes the LB quicker and already improves it and we need Hawks cap space ( unless they can free it up somewhere else,like Woodson) and Rodgers is really pushing to keep Woodson in GB so guess we will see if Rodgers voice has any pull over Ted's voice ( as we all seen it didnt work for Favre,as no Randy Moss ect) lets see if it works for Rodgers.
eric

Neillsville, WI

#10 Jan 24, 2013
They will free up a ton of cash when Jennings leaves for sure,I thought they would have cash when they trade or cut Finley but looks like hes staying because he had that nice few game run at the end.It only took threatening him to get his ass moving but maybe they want to keep him during his final year until FA hits ( you know he will go all out next year for that new deal,as long as TT doesnt fall for the BS and think he will go all out for the next 3 years and resign him)
GBPmies

Finland

#11 Jan 24, 2013
eric wrote:
With Smith and Bishop coming back,Perry on his way from the injured wrist and if Greene is right and he is going to be that asskicker Greene thinks,Hawk is expendable for cap reasons.Hawk hasnt been that highlight film type LB but is very solid,but, GB can use the cap space and with like ive said,Perry and Bishop as well as Smith coming back makes the LB quicker and already improves it and we need Hawks cap space ( unless they can free it up somewhere else,like Woodson) and Rodgers is really pushing to keep Woodson in GB so guess we will see if Rodgers voice has any pull over Ted's voice ( as we all seen it didnt work for Favre,as no Randy Moss ect) lets see if it works for Rodgers.
Agree to disagree then eric,
But Perry plays OLB like Clay so that has zero influence on Hawk playing ILB, Bishop and Smith are the other ILBs, and both are coming off major injuries... and the Packers do not know how they will return and the next best is Brad Jones (3rd string) who is mediocre and serviceable, at least Hawk makes the calls on the field. His cap is not even half of Finley's next year. I am not saying they won’t cut Hawk, I just see it as a major risk hoping that both injured ILBs players come back 100% and Hawk won't be needed. There is not much depth at ILB.
Brian

Madison, WI

#12 Jan 24, 2013
Here is my take on the Packers needs for 2013: You saw it with San Fran and how we need to get faster and tougher. Here is my take on the draft.
1st round. Take Alec Ogletree with 1st round. This will allow us to release Hawk or at least negotiate to a reasonable salary level. I do believe Bishop will be back so Ogletree and Bishop will play inside with Perry & Mathews outside. Ogletree has unbelievable speed from Georgia. He plays like a Safety but at 6'3" and 238 lbs.
2nd Round. Take a WR like a Da Rick Rogers. Take a look at his film from Tennessee Tech. 6'3" and 210 lbs. This will help replace Greg Jennings.
3rd round. Get Travis Frederick from Wisconsin to take over Center position. With Bulaga & Sherrod coming back along with Lang & Sitton it could be a much improved line.
4th round. Pick up a Free Safety like Phillip Thomas or DJ Swearinger and you have helped your team with speed and toughness.
4th round compensation for Flynn. Look at DE William Gholston from Michigan.
5th round. Look at a running back maybe like Jonathan Franklin UCLA or if no-one picks up Marcus Lattimore you may want to take a flyer on him.
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

#13 Jan 24, 2013
First off, GBP understood what I was saying. DEs--perhaps someone who can give Raji a series off will help alot. That's why I like Jenkins. They tried to sure that up on the cheap last off-season and Muir and Hargrove didn't stick. I hope everyone comes back healthy too. Maybe if we were tougher we'd have fewer injuries? Bishop's been hurt twice now. You can't be tough on crutches. I think they'll renogotiate Hawk, as Brian suggests. Not sold on Perry myself. He looks lost out there. Hopefully the light will go on this summer.
I'm not worried about the O-line so much--they will ultimately benefit from these guys getting playing time.
I wasn't advocating taking a WR in the first. My point was that there are a bunch of good ones, meaning good picking well into the draft.
Ogletree's gonna have to put on some weight before he becomes anybody's Mike LB. I know he's come up in a couple of mock drafts as our pick, based on his overall eval. The Pack may not like his coach issues and mystery injury. He played safety in 2010 and runs a blazing 40 so I think that's where he belongs. It wouldn't shock me if the Patriots took him if we don't.
Gholston's an interesting pick... I like that one. Swearinger? I feel like we have 2-3 of him already. I do like his leadership, though.
eric

Neillsville, WI

#14 Jan 24, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree to disagree then eric,
But Perry plays OLB like Clay so that has zero influence on Hawk playing ILB, Bishop and Smith are the other ILBs, and both are coming off major injuries... and the Packers do not know how they will return and the next best is Brad Jones (3rd string) who is mediocre and serviceable, at least Hawk makes the calls on the field. His cap is not even half of Finley's next year. I am not saying they won’t cut Hawk, I just see it as a major risk hoping that both injured ILBs players come back 100% and Hawk won't be needed. There is not much depth at ILB.
We still have Terrell Manning and Robert Francois at ILB as well and there is always the draft..
anyway,,,,Yes,we can always disagree and there is nothing wrong with that!!!!!!
Question now IS,,who can we restructure? Woodson seems to be obvious but will he agree to restructure.Also,since Mathews,Raji and Rodgers are due to be resigned real soon, will the 10M from Woodson and maybe 1M or so from either Walden or Jones leaving be enough when you throw out the current deals and add to them?
in other words..Rodgers is 10M of cap space Now,cancel his deal and we free up 10M and take Jennings 9M after he leaves and that's 19M ( around Brady,Brees ect 20M or so),,Raji is 5 or 6M cap,what should be be making,i guess you can take a Million from Walden,,how about Mathews? he will receive quite a bit more then the few Million hes making and we are still 6M or so under the cap now.We also need cash to sign our draft picks as well.
GBPmies

Finland

#15 Jan 26, 2013
Now Worthy has torn his ACL and may miss a good chunk if not all of the 2013 season. So now I really hope we go heavy on the Dline early in the draft, it is very thin and very weak IMO.
eric

Neillsville, WI

#16 Jan 26, 2013
Yea,thats a shame.I read that not long ago.He will have a long run ahead of him.I dont know if its worse then what Adrian Peterson went through.It was amazing Adrian Peterson made it back w/o missing time not to mention the performance and yardage he gained,it was simply amazing and certainly not the norm.Good Luck to Worthy and may he be back healthy for the 13 or 14 season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nick Collins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jermichael Finley: What might the Green Bay Pac... (Feb '14) Mar '14 eric 27
Drafting philosophy leaves Packers far under sa... (Feb '14) Mar '14 eric 7
Fixing the Green Bay Packers Defense Must Start... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reggie 2
Former Green Bay Packers tight end Mark Chmura ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 6
Green Bay: Draft Gods? (May '13) May '13 GBPfan 4
Packers Need Improvement at Safety to Contend f... (May '13) May '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Green Bay Packers: Little dead money counts tow... (Apr '13) Apr '13 normallylikeyellow 2
More from around the web