Green Bay Packers top 10 draft busts

Green Bay Packers top 10 draft busts

There are 42 comments on the WLUK-TV Green Bay story from Apr 20, 2009, titled Green Bay Packers top 10 draft busts. In it, WLUK-TV Green Bay reports that:

The toughest part of this list was narrowing it down to just ten! I originally had about 15 guys on the list, but after realizing that really anyone drafted outside of the first three rounds is really a roll of the dice, I focused on those players.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLUK-TV Green Bay.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Apr 20, 2009
No TT players? Yet? And no Tony Mandarich?
eric

Necedah, WI

#2 Apr 20, 2009
the list was only for the last 10 years and Tony was beyond that.but notice the anti TT which i knew was coming as soon as i read the headline,well there was quite a few Ron wolf guys on there and i think he did a good job right?
answerman

Wausau, WI

#3 Apr 20, 2009
Re: Mandarich... he narrowed it to the last 10 years. If you go back farther, there are many many more that belong. I'd go back 20 years and include first round picks Mandarich (no explanation needed), John Michels (never did anything in the NFL), and Terrell Buckley (ended up with an OK career, but never did anything to warrant the #5 overall pick, and was pretty much worthless with the Packers).

Just goes to show that first round picks are not the only way to define how well someone performs in the GM position. Look at Ron Wolf's first round record (and he was rightly considered one of the best GMs of all time):

(1992) Terrell Buckley, CB (5th overall)
(1993) Wayne Simmons, LB (15th overall)
(1993) George Teague, S (29th overall)
(1994) Aaron Taylor, G (16th overall)
(1995) Craig Newsome, S (32nd overall)
(1996) John Michels, T (27th overall)
(1997) Ross Verba, G (30th overall)
(1998) Vonnie Holliday, DL (19th overall)
(1999) Antuan Edwards, S (25th overall)
(2000) Bubba Franks, TE (14th overall)
(2001) Jamal Reynolds, DE (10th overall)(though Mike Sherman was the GM, this was Ron Wolf's pick)

A few busts, and none of these players are going to be showing up at their HOF induction ceremony anytime soon. I wouldn't categorize any of these picks as much better than average.

Now, I am not questioning Wolf's record as a GM. I'm just pointing out that you have to look WAY past the first round hit/bust record.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#4 Apr 20, 2009
What about all those choices between the glory years in the 60's and Brett's arrival in the nineties; surely we missed on a few of those? Just goes to show you miss more than you hit as a GM. When it comes to drafting, I still would take TT over most GM's.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Apr 20, 2009
eric wrote:
the list was only for the last 10 years and Tony was beyond that.but notice the anti TT which i knew was coming as soon as i read the headline,well there was quite a few Ron wolf guys on there and i think he did a good job right?
I agree that Wolf did a good job. I have always maintained that there is only one logical method to assess GMs, wins and losses. First, drafting is only one part of a GMs job. Second, drafting well without creating wins is meaningless. Wolf was a winner. TT isn't.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#6 Apr 20, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
What about all those choices between the glory years in the 60's and Brett's arrival in the nineties; surely we missed on a few of those? Just goes to show you miss more than you hit as a GM. When it comes to drafting, I still would take TT over most GM's.
What does this mean? You think TT drafts better than 16 other GMs? What about the other aspects of being a good GM, other than drafting that is?
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#7 Apr 20, 2009
This article is only in reference to drafting and doesn't get into the other aspects of being GM; didn't you read the article!!
eric

Necedah, WI

#8 Apr 21, 2009
the only thing he read was how many ted draft picks were on the list ZERO! and it might ruin his argument
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Apr 21, 2009
eric wrote:
the only thing he read was how many ted draft picks were on the list ZERO! and it might ruin his argument
Honestly, I just read the names. So what? You really need to end this infatuation you have for TT.
eric

Necedah, WI

#10 Apr 21, 2009
Im just having fun with all your anti TT rants.If they suck this year,Ted will be gone if the packers do well hes still there. i think it will be the latter and you think its the afore,so we will see.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#11 Apr 21, 2009
eric wrote:
Im just having fun with all your anti TT rants.If they suck this year,Ted will be gone if the packers do well hes still there. i think it will be the latter and you think its the afore,so we will see.
ditto
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#12 Apr 21, 2009
haha!!! GBPfan, why do you have this obsession with TT, it's not healthy man. Believe me, he's not losing any sleep over it. My recommendation would be to forget about him and see how the 2009 plays out. If the team folds, TT will probably get the boot. We all agree that this is what should happen.
eric

Necedah, WI

#13 Apr 21, 2009
No doubt this is Teds do or die year and it starts next Saturday! If he was a player in Free agentcy,he could miss some what,but,he depends on drafts and its his baby,his strength,his lifeline,so this is it for him!
we need a D end,NT at least 1 oline player ( Tackle) and a guard would really help here as well.
and id say a LB if not 2 so Ted with 9 picks,Ted needs to hit on 6 of them unless he will dip into a few vets after cut down day which im sure he is looking at and will to a certain point.
eric

Necedah, WI

#14 Apr 21, 2009
If Raji falls to 9 it will be very interesting what Ted will do! it is a position of definite need and he ( supposedly failed a test) but he and his agent deny it.
I wonder if Ted would with a chance at Raji and SF looking at 12 If Ted would fall back to 12 and grab a 3rd rounder,of pick Raji or go another direction.
i should have printed an article,there are a list of guys Ted really likes who are late picks or wont be drafted and there was a guy in particlar who is 6 3 330 who is a NT and im thinking ,with that size and he wont get drafted,what kind of player is he?But at least they are thinking big and they looked at afew guards who are good size as well,no more of these 295lb Daryn Colledge types,its time for some 320lb guards who can actually block and open holes for our RB"s.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#15 Apr 21, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
haha!!! GBPfan, why do you have this obsession with TT, it's not healthy man. Believe me, he's not losing any sleep over it. My recommendation would be to forget about him and see how the 2009 plays out. If the team folds, TT will probably get the boot. We all agree that this is what should happen.
I really don't have an obsession with TT per se. I do admit that I am obsessed with the Packers and their success. It just so happens that TT is the main obstacle to the Packers success. So, as you see, I don't actually have any personal animosity toward TT.

Have you ever heard anyone say: I don't want you to leave angry, I just want you to leave. This is how I feel toward TT.
Rick

Hyattsville, MD

#16 Apr 21, 2009
I always thought Goerge Teague and Wayne Simmons (He died in a car crash, I believe) were very good.
eric

Necedah, WI

#17 Apr 21, 2009
so did I! It would been interesting if they had a list for the last 25 years or so.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#18 Apr 21, 2009
GBPfan; I hear ya man and I want them to succeed also. If the team doesn't produce this season, you get your wish. I'm not a real big fan of the way they handled our greatest player; #4. Brett was all about winning, how many times did he have his contract re-done to allow other players to get theirs? What did it get him but a swift kick in the butt.
answerman

Wausau, WI

#19 Apr 21, 2009
hey Rick! Haven't seen you here in a while.

My point was that there were no real "standout" players in that list. How many of those players made the Pro Bowl? Not that it's anything much more than a popularity contest, but it's somewhat of a measuring stick when looking at players that you project as "impact" draft picks. I stand by my original assessment of "not much better than average".
answerman

Wausau, WI

#20 Apr 21, 2009
Here's a list of every first round pick the Packers have ever made, if it interests you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_Ba...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nick Barnett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ben Reiter: Postcard from camp: Bills (Aug '11) Aug '11 Pajamas 1
News Green Bay Packers 2011: 5 Players Who Could Be ... (May '11) May '11 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Agent: LB Hawk close to new deal with Packers (Mar '11) Mar '11 JOC-12 1
News Packers say goodbye to fans after Super season (Feb '11) Feb '11 Beecharmer 2
News Packers QB Aaron Rodgers weighs in on team phot... (Jan '11) Jan '11 PackerBacker-Wich... 9
News Rodgers: Some injured players didn't stay here (Jan '11) Jan '11 PR and Proud 14
News Injured Packers will be in Super Bowl team photo (Jan '11) Jan '11 GBPfan 1
More from around the web