Frank Bodani: No reason to fret just ...

Frank Bodani: No reason to fret just yet for PSU

There are 24 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Oct 3, 2010, titled Frank Bodani: No reason to fret just yet for PSU. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

The halfway point of the Penn State football season is here, with expected results -- and a lot of disappointed, grumbling fans.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SoCalPSUFan

Villa Park, CA

#1 Oct 3, 2010
I agree with the points you made in your article, but what about the offensive line and the running game. If there is anything that Penn State can typically lean on when things are going wrong, its a running game and decent run blocking up front. The recruiting for offensive linemen has been lacking (outside of Wisniewski), and they also need to address that area.
Snar

Winchester, VA

#2 Oct 4, 2010
Have to agree completely. The score could have easily been 14-17 or 13-17, playing with a very young team and against the #1 defense in the nation. I'm actually pleased with play to this point.
psu fan

York, PA

#3 Oct 4, 2010
No Frank, The problem is the coaching staff not puting the players in posiyion to win games like this. Too many runs up the middle, poor clock managment (that rivaled les miles), no hurry up offense till very end of game when down 17-3. Punt on 4th and 5 or 6 down 2 scores. You need to go for it (the punter could have uncorked another 12 yarder and my guess is Iowa would have just run clock if PSU didnt get 1st down). Bill Kenny and Dick Anderson need replaced. O-Line is never ready. We have 1 good o-line every 5-6 years it seems whereas schools like Iowa,OSU,Wisc always have a stellar o-line i am going to bet it is coaching. The last great o-line we had in my opinion was the 94-95 line. These coaches are terrible. This game should have been closer but we will never win big game on road. When was the last time we beat a top 10 team on road? Time for coaching change.
LOG

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Oct 4, 2010
I think the most concerning aspect is the very poor recruiting for 2011. Does everyone understand how far behind the top programs in the country we are? At this point I don't see a recovery.
PSU fan in IA

Omaha, NE

#5 Oct 4, 2010
I very much agree with your post. As frustrating as it is, the future is looking bright. Watching the younger guys get more playing time is great for the future, but not for the now. People need to quit overreacting and look at it for what it is. If they lost to the likes of Minnesota, Northwestern, etc. then there will be cause for alarm. I like this team and they will come into their own. 8-4 with all the young talent isn't all that bad.
yeap

York, PA

#6 Oct 4, 2010
yeap....they will lose 7 games this year with the future not looking good because NO highly talented skilled position players have made visits to happy valley.simply no interest!
Mail Man

United States

#7 Oct 4, 2010
A stubborn old man w/a huge ego is holding PSU hostage. This fool is the problem and as a result the football program is going nowhere... until he gets too sick to coach or is led out in a pine box. That is sad that a man who has lost touch a long time ago cannot admit has to go. Go Joe enjoy your final years and oversee the museum they have planned in your honor. He recently asked a reporter who can fire him? All problems point to Joe Paterno as if he is the elephant in the room.
Doubt That

Camden, NJ

#8 Oct 4, 2010
LOG wrote:
I think the most concerning aspect is the very poor recruiting for 2011. Does everyone understand how far behind the top programs in the country we are? At this point I don't see a recovery.
Bingo!!! Just because players are young DOES NOT mean they will develop into stars. You have to recruit with the big programs and Penn State has fallen way behind in that aspect.
Doubt That

Camden, NJ

#9 Oct 4, 2010
Snar wrote:
Have to agree completely. The score could have easily been 14-17 or 13-17, playing with a very young team and against the #1 defense in the nation. I'm actually pleased with play to this point.
PSU has been outscored by ranked schools 48-6 and you are PLEASED?? My friend, that is blind optimism if I ever saw it.
PSUFAN34

Beach Haven, NJ

#10 Oct 4, 2010
I don't think most of the complaints are about the Iowa loss. They're about the coaching screwups on the sidelines and the predictable play calling in the red zone.
Boat Rocker

York, PA

#11 Oct 4, 2010
Mail Man wrote:
A stubborn old man w/a huge ego is holding PSU hostage. This fool is the problem and as a result the football program is going nowhere... until he gets too sick to coach or is led out in a pine box. That is sad that a man who has lost touch a long time ago cannot admit has to go. Go Joe enjoy your final years and oversee the museum they have planned in your honor. He recently asked a reporter who can fire him? All problems point to Joe Paterno as if he is the elephant in the room.
I agree 100%. Great comment. However, people in York still give this jerk the benefit of the doubt. They schedule incredibly easy opponents to start out each year (Example: Kent State) and that hurts them later in the year. Joe must go!!!
catalacjack

Muskegon, MI

#12 Oct 4, 2010
The Joe must go comment is really getting old, he has made Penn State into one of the premier schools in the nation. At 80+ he was hustling up the sideline trying to get the timeout, a simple miscommunication with Mike cost that one. As for the Oline I still have problems with back peddling into pass blocking, put your shoulder on the thigh pad and your elbow in his crotch and drive them out of there. The line for the problems they are having keeping five healthy is doing a great job with only 3 sacks allowed so far. Royster has got to stop being tenative and put his head and shoulders down and make some holes. He is not an acrobatic type of back so he has to be a bull. My only fault is Newsome sitting on the sidelines put him in as a flanker or even a tightend he brings a whole new dimension on the field.
thetruthhurts

York, PA

#13 Oct 4, 2010
catalacjack wrote:
The Joe must go comment is really getting old, he has made Penn State into one of the premier schools in the nation. At 80+ he was hustling up the sideline trying to get the timeout, a simple miscommunication with Mike cost that one. As for the Oline I still have problems with back peddling into pass blocking, put your shoulder on the thigh pad and your elbow in his crotch and drive them out of there. The line for the problems they are having keeping five healthy is doing a great job with only 3 sacks allowed so far. Royster has got to stop being tenative and put his head and shoulders down and make some holes. He is not an acrobatic type of back so he has to be a bull. My only fault is Newsome sitting on the sidelines put him in as a flanker or even a tightend he brings a whole new dimension on the field.
You appear to be out of touch like the 80+ year old coach who looks more confused than in control and still refuses to wear a headset so he can at least be informed what is going on in the game.
Reality Check

York, PA

#14 Oct 5, 2010
That's like telling who passes the 10th floor as he's falling from the roof that there's no need to panic yet. It's time to fret! Other than the Youngstown State game, they have been pitiful.
Downtown Man

York, PA

#15 Oct 5, 2010
Snar wrote:
Shoulda, coulda, woulda. How long can you use that defense? I love Joe, but I think it's pretty clear when you watch him and listen to him that the time has come for him to retire. This was the fifth game and they look like they just got together for their first pick up game at the park.
BEEN THERE

Red Lion, PA

#16 Oct 5, 2010
PSU fan in IA wrote:
I very much agree with your post. As frustrating as it is, the future is looking bright. Watching the younger guys get more playing time is great for the future, but not for the now. People need to quit overreacting and look at it for what it is. If they lost to the likes of Minnesota, Northwestern, etc. then there will be cause for alarm. I like this team and they will come into their own. 8-4 with all the young talent isn't all that bad.
Heck yes , with all the Div. 2 opponents on the schedule , an 8-4 record is always attainable and continues to bolster the "hall of fame" coaches bloated record , as well. They ought to promote the schedule person to head coach , because just think if all the opponents were Div. 1 this year they would be 0 - 5 and then the whinning cry baby fans would really be after Joe's head. Plus don't fret they are still working on getting ALL the games on the schedule at GAY VALLEY , especially if it must be a Div. 1 team. wee R prostate.
George

Marshall, VA

#17 Oct 5, 2010
BEEN THERE wrote:
<quoted text> Heck yes , with all the Div. 2 opponents on the schedule , an 8-4 record is always attainable and continues to bolster the "hall of fame" coaches bloated record , as well. They ought to promote the schedule person to head coach , because just think if all the opponents were Div. 1 this year they would be 0 - 5 and then the whinning cry baby fans would really be after Joe's head. Plus don't fret they are still working on getting ALL the games on the schedule at GAY VALLEY , especially if it must be a Div. 1 team. wee R prostate.
Hmmm???? How many Div @ schools are actually on their schedule??????? It aint any of the Big 10 teams and last time I looked I think Alabama was not Div 2. Learn something about the college divisions before you spout off.
Reality Check

Mount Laurel, NJ

#18 Oct 5, 2010
BEEN THERE wrote:
<quoted text> Heck yes , with all the Div. 2 opponents on the schedule , an 8-4 record is always attainable and continues to bolster the "hall of fame" coaches bloated record , as well. They ought to promote the schedule person to head coach , because just think if all the opponents were Div. 1 this year they would be 0 - 5 and then the whinning cry baby fans would really be after Joe's head. Plus don't fret they are still working on getting ALL the games on the schedule at GAY VALLEY , especially if it must be a Div. 1 team. wee R prostate.
The don't play DII teams idiot. Remember, load brain before shooting off mouth.
BEEN THERE

Red Lion, PA

#19 Oct 5, 2010
George wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm???? How many Div @ schools are actually on their schedule??????? It aint any of the Big 10 teams and last time I looked I think Alabama was not Div 2. Learn something about the college divisions before you spout off.
Been watching PS pad their schedule for years and without the cupcakes papacupcake wouldn't have half of the wins on his resume. Youngstown State - Kent State - and temple are always cupcakes so replace them with decent competition and you clowns are 0 - 5 . plus how many home games again ? Gee afraid these 3 would pull the upset? oh joe's too old now ? what a bunch of whiners and pukes. never met a ps fan you could like. a description I hear from alot of non-football people , as well. must rub them the wrong way too. end of reality lesson wee wees.
Glenn

Lewes, DE

#20 Oct 9, 2010
I think as a penn state fan you have to remember that there are over 50 freshman on the team.and a lot of the players are starting for the first time.go penn state

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Navorro Bowman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Super Bowl 50 Party: Reggie McKenzie, other Rai... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Fart news 2
News Kawakami: Jed York and Trent Baalke nowhere to ... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 7
News The Raiders May Be Back (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 2
News 49ers coach discourages brawling with Broncos (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fart news 2
News After rough 2014, 49ers' Brooks trying to be so... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fart news 2
News 49ers Patrick Willis retiring after injury-shor... (Mar '15) Mar '15 gold diggers 1
News NFL Preview: Breaking down the 49ers' schedule (Sep '14) Sep '14 Jerrys Kids 2
More from around the web