Minnesota Gophers football team still has holes to fill on defense

University of Minnesota football coach Tim Brewster is looking for a third cornerback he can rely on. Read more
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

#1 Sep 1, 2008
Stoudamire looked really quick and fluid on his two returns. If he can translate that quickness to the defensive backfield he should be a big upgrade over Collado, who just doesn't seem to have the athleticism required.

I think the Gophers are going to have to blitz quite a bit this year as the DE's were not able to get any consistent pressure on the QB. A good QB might pick the secondary to shreds if they do, but I am fairly certain that the will get shredded if they don't. Campbell, as one would expect given that he was a DE last year, looked very comfortable blitzing.

A win is a win. Granted, it wasn't overly impressive given the two long scoring passes, but as they say in golf "there are no pictures on the scorecard".
ViKING

United States

#2 Sep 1, 2008
holes to fill? Try the Grand Canyon. Pathetic.
40yrgopherfan

Sartell, MN

#3 Sep 1, 2008
Blaming collado is pathetic. He should have had help on those plays, and if the other boys didn't do what they were supposed to than it is up to the coaches to make sure they are positioned correctly to do so. It's not the players nearly as much as it is the pathetic coaching folks. Big time recruiter? I'd much rather have a big time COACH!!!
TopGunn

Antigo, WI

#4 Sep 1, 2008
40yrvirgen,

Ever hear of man to man coverage? One guy, covers another guy with no help. When teams use 4 and 5 WR sets this happens. Collado should have made the plays. He was ineffective last year and he's off to a rough start this year. Troy Stoudamire looks gifted athletically. Let's
see how successful he is as the nickle back.
jimmy

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Sep 1, 2008
40yrgopherfan wrote:
Blaming collado is pathetic. He should have had help on those plays, and if the other boys didn't do what they were supposed to than it is up to the coaches to make sure they are positioned correctly to do so. It's not the players nearly as much as it is the pathetic coaching folks. Big time recruiter? I'd much rather have a big time COACH!!!
Hey Moron,

Learn a little about football before you spout off and show you football IQ....quit listening to reusse..you sound like the typical minnesota loser fan...don't no jack shit about football, but you sure know who to blame. Like the previous poster said they were in a man to man and he was the last line of defense..in the formation niu was in he has to make the tackle..he went for the ball, missed and got burned. I guess Brewster should have made the tackle..cause according to you talent doesn't matter...just coaching right?? You never played or coached a sport before have you? Are you that clueless??
The Loon

Mississauga, Canada

#6 Sep 1, 2008
Wow, slow down name callers.

On the 91 yard TD, Callado did not make the tackle that was right there. His fault.

On the next long TD, Callado did not make the tackle and the safety (Theret) who was helping deep did not get there to help break up the pass or make the tackle after the catch.

My guess would be that Callado is going to see more Pine Time AND Theret may be too slow to help much against good spread teams.

I have been saying this for four years now. Clearly, the spread requires five guys on D who can cover man to man all over the field. A huge problem to fix for even the elite programs.
40yrgopherfan

Sartell, MN

#7 Sep 1, 2008
re all you brewster apologizers. Any div 1 big ten coach that gets beat by NDSU and wins in the last minute by a 2-10 northern ill mac team is not a big time coach. Hey jimmy, you're mommy is calling from the top of the basement steps, it's time for your cheerios and orange juice.
jimmy

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Sep 1, 2008
40yrgopherfan wrote:
re all you brewster apologizers. Any div 1 big ten coach that gets beat by NDSU and wins in the last minute by a 2-10 northern ill mac team is not a big time coach. Hey jimmy, you're mommy is calling from the top of the basement steps, it's time for your cheerios and orange juice.
That's all you got?? What a tool...talk to me again when you can use something besides opinion..like I said before, use your football knowledge..oh yeah, you don't have any??
40yrgopherfan

Sartell, MN

#9 Sep 1, 2008
Hey jimmy, lets hear your qualifications first, and fantasy leagues don't count.
jimmy

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Sep 1, 2008
40yrgopherfan wrote:
Hey jimmy, lets hear your qualifications first, and fantasy leagues don't count.
Played in college, MSU and coached in HS the last 17 years. You??
40yrgopherfan

Sartell, MN

#11 Sep 1, 2008
Just played hs and 2 years of jc 30 yrs ago and helped coach my son in grade school, who became academic all state football in 01. Life long gopher and viking fan since 68. If brewster's boys can't play his system of defense then perhaps he should switch his defense to fit his personnel.
The Loon

Mississauga, Canada

#12 Sep 1, 2008
Viking,

No matter what I am not supporting a new Viking stadium no matter what. Wilf and family are amongst the upper 1% of the upper 1% of all income earners in the USA. They live in Jersey and from that area. There is nothing about the Vikings that is Minnesota except the franchise plays here at this time. If the Viking family of rich players, rich coaches and super rich owners want to enhance their franchise here that is very fine by me. It is a free country. But as a property owner in Minnesota I do not want to give them a penny. Why would I? "Oh, we should help out the super rich of New Jersey and Israel"?

So please, give Wilf all the money you want, but haunting this board in the hope the Gophers will go away is not going to work. The U is not getting offers to move to LA.
jimmy

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Sep 1, 2008
40yrgopherfan wrote:
Just played hs and 2 years of jc 30 yrs ago and helped coach my son in grade school, who became academic all state football in 01. Life long gopher and viking fan since 68. If brewster's boys can't play his system of defense then perhaps he should switch his defense to fit his personnel.
Good for you and congrats to your son!! Hey we both want to see the U succeed. My point is we need to support the U no matter who the coach is...I was not a big fan of Mason, but I still went to the games and supported them.. If he was willing to recruit a little harder..I mean work at it, he would probably still be here. I just get tired of all the negativity...it seems that the typical MN fan gets their info from the bashing the U types in the media...reusse, c. hartman... and others who really don't know or care to know much about the the program. If you stand up and cheer during a big down at the game, people bitch that they can't see, they get more enjoyment out of watching the mistakes. That doesn't happen at Wis. or Iowa...at Wis, some of the fans stand the whole game!!! Our fans through out the state need to change the atmosphere at football games. Granted football hasn't been that great, but this is our only d1 school...I will support the program/coach no matter what...if brewster doesn't improve each year...he should be gone, but you have to give him some time. I know I am a hell of a lot better coach when I have fast, athletic players on my team..we try to put them in the right place, but sometimes the other guys are just better. Yes, they should adjust and I believe Roof will do a good job of making some changes the next few games. They were a much better defense than last year after only one game. Everyone wants to win now, but from my experience in HS it doesn't just happen over night. We can't go out and trade for a Jared Allen...these young men have to develop and it does take time. I apologize for the insults. Like I said it's just frustrating to hear all the negative stuff all the time. You can't spin it positive all the time like Brewster was last year...there does have to be some criticism, but he is trying to build a program...his way...I think many MN fans aren't used to his style, we need to deal with that and support the players and the program. Go GOPHERS!!
40yrgopherfan

Sartell, MN

#14 Sep 1, 2008
jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you and congrats to your son!! Hey we both want to see the U succeed. My point is we need to support the U no matter who the coach is...I was not a big fan of Mason, but I still went to the games and supported them.. If he was willing to recruit a little harder..I mean work at it, he would probably still be here. I just get tired of all the negativity...it seems that the typical MN fan gets their info from the bashing the U types in the media...reusse, c. hartman... and others who really don't know or care to know much about the the program. If you stand up and cheer during a big down at the game, people **** that they can't see, they get more enjoyment out of watching the mistakes. That doesn't happen at Wis. or Iowa...at Wis, some of the fans stand the whole game!!! Our fans through out the state need to change the atmosphere at football games. Granted football hasn't been that great, but this is our only d1 school...I will support the program/coach no matter what...if brewster doesn't improve each year...he should be gone, but you have to give him some time. I know I am a hell of a lot better coach when I have fast, athletic players on my team..we try to put them in the right place, but sometimes the other guys are just better. Yes, they should adjust and I believe Roof will do a good job of making some changes the next few games. They were a much better defense than last year after only one game. Everyone wants to win now, but from my experience in HS it doesn't just happen over night. We can't go out and trade for a Jared Allen...these young men have to develop and it does take time. I apologize for the insults. Like I said it's just frustrating to hear all the negative stuff all the time. You can't spin it positive all the time like Brewster was last year...there does have to be some criticism, but he is trying to build a program...his way...I think many MN fans aren't used to his style, we need to deal with that and support the players and the program. Go GOPHERS!!
Thanks for the apology, I appreciate it. I do get over passionate and critical, I admit. I lived and died for the Gophers and Vikes and Twins as a young boy, and I know the Gophers can rise to the top again. I just don't like all that unrealistic mumbo jumbo he came in here with. We should be whipping NDSU and bottom tier MAC teams with ease, no matter what. GO GOPHERS!
The Loon

Mississauga, Canada

#15 Sep 1, 2008
Jimmie, you are wrong about Mason being let go. That decision was made before he was rehired and had nothing to do with how "hard" he recruited. He was kept on at great cost to our program so that Maturi would get his new stadium. Once that was done Mason was gone no matter how many games we won or lost in 2007. Indeed, our winning those last three Big Ten games was a major PO for many of the big cigars who wanted him gone. I was there.

Once the Gary Russell stuff started to come out (2006), Mason was gone. The rest was all BS and smoke screens. Some wanted more Russells, a few wanted none. But, go ahead and believe what you need to believe.
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

#16 Sep 1, 2008
Now that Jimmy and 40yr have kissed and made up, let's get back to football. Collado blew it, twice. The Gophers need athletes in the secondary who can keep up with the other teams athletes at WR. I am looking forward to seeing whether Dandridge and Stoudamire can get the job done.
40yrgopherfan

Sartell, MN

#17 Sep 1, 2008
The strib is reporting that the Grey kid is out for the year, he's retaking the test. Did anybody hear what the irregularities were on his ACT?
wow

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Sep 1, 2008
Failed the first one, suspicious major improvement the next time.
jimmy

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Sep 1, 2008
The Loon wrote:
Jimmie, you are wrong about Mason being let go. That decision was made before he was rehired and had nothing to do with how "hard" he recruited. He was kept on at great cost to our program so that Maturi would get his new stadium. Once that was done Mason was gone no matter how many games we won or lost in 2007. Indeed, our winning those last three Big Ten games was a major PO for many of the big cigars who wanted him gone. I was there.
Once the Gary Russell stuff started to come out (2006), Mason was gone. The rest was all BS and smoke screens. Some wanted more Russells, a few wanted none. But, go ahead and believe what you need to believe.
That was just my opinion, I wish he recruited harder, obviously there was more to it than just recruiting... that's not hard to figure out??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nathan Palmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 49ers Schedule Preview 2013: Indianapolis Colts (Jun '13) Jun '13 ITALNINER 2
News Bennett's late runs lift Gophers past Northern ... (Aug '08) Sep '08 The Loon 37
More from around the web