Making me dizzy

Making me dizzy

There are 7 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jan 24, 2008, titled Making me dizzy. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

If the NFL's job-search merry-go-round got any more counterintuitive, the league might have to expand the Rooney Rule to include the top coaching talent from other sports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Scott G

Frederick, MD

#1 Jan 24, 2008
Out of curiousity, how many HC positions has Rex interviewed for and about the pecking order of choice was he? I know he had one last year he was highly considered for (can't remember) and now the Falcons job, where it sounds he was also highly considered for. Im sure its disappointing for Ryan, but in reality, many HC went through this process several times before getting a HC job (Harbaugh was up for two right, albeit one was college). Rex will get there. Im a little shocked at how few openings there were this offseason when you think about it. Two coaches resigned, one was fired after one year, and Billick. Its really seems like a slow offseason as I can remember.
Jimmy the fossil Fassel

Washington, DC

#2 Jan 24, 2008
Good article Peter, the NFL is a strange world. I like the Harbaugh hire (jury still out on Cam though), hopefully he can keep Ryan but that probably won't happen, Snyder will hire him away (ala Marvin Lewis) if the Ravens let him. They should just trade Ryan for Williams since neither probably want to stay put after being rejected. I was hoping Ryan would get the Falcon job but at least it went to a former Raven. You know the scary thing is that Brian Billick, yes that "offensive genius", has started his own coaching "tree". He currently has 4 (Mike Nolan, Jack Del Rio, Marvin Lewis, and now Mike Smith) head coaches in the league (that's 12%) and if Fassel gets the 'skins job that would be 5 (though technically Jimmy was a HC before he worked for Billick, so maybe 4.5). GO RAVENS
Waspman

Washington, DC

#4 Jan 24, 2008
Jon Gruden might have gotten extra mileage by being in a weak division in the weaker conference with a fourth place schedule but wasn't everyone all misty-eyed when Sean Payton did the same thing the year before with the Saints?

Considering the overall talent of the Bucs and the fact Gruden didn't get a Drew Brees added to his roster, Gruden pretty much proved he is one of the best coaches in the NFL.

What were you expecting? 18-0 and a showdown against the Pats?

As for Rex Ryan, he can (1) be annoyed that he is being held twisting in the wind by his contract when he may end up being paid for nothing rather than what he would rather be doing -- coaching -- or (2) remember the words of his big supporter, Ray Lewis. "It is just business."
florida connection

Northbrook, IL

#5 Jan 24, 2008
and
Waspman wrote:
Jon Gruden might have gotten extra mileage by being in a weak division in the weaker conference with a fourth place schedule but wasn't everyone all misty-eyed when Sean Payton did the same thing the year before with the Saints?
Considering the overall talent of the Bucs and the fact Gruden didn't get a Drew Brees added to his roster, Gruden pretty much proved he is one of the best coaches in the NFL.
What were you expecting? 18-0 and a showdown against the Pats?
As for Rex Ryan, he can (1) be annoyed that he is being held twisting in the wind by his contract when he may end up being paid for nothing rather than what he would rather be doing -- coaching -- or (2) remember the words of his big supporter, Ray Lewis. "It is just business."
AQnd that's what makes it so scarey.Ray Lewis supports him.I think you would still see the old locker room division and thuggery.Be best if a whole new regime came in.New blood,new rules etc.etc.etc.Maybe some of the old guard would retire or be traded.We'll see !
Wil

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Jan 24, 2008
I feel pretty good right now since I picked John Harbaugh as my first choice and Cam Cameron as my first choice as OF coordinator. I'm two for two and now I suggest we let the head coach decide about the rest of his staff as he well choices. My final suggestion is to draft Joe Flacco from Delaware as our future QB and our future will be in good hands. If our scouts don't see what i see in him then they have never seen the likes of Joe Montana or John Unitas. I will bet all my skills as a judge of talent that this guy will someday be a Star!!!
Dave O

Baltimore, MD

#7 Jan 24, 2008
Rex Ryan has had a weekly spot on WNST during good times and bad. He has always been a stand-up guy willing to accept responsibility for the failures of the team and unwilling to point fingers at anyone but himself. I, for one, appreciate that attitude.
I was very happy to hear that he and Harbaugh already had a good professional relationship because I wanted Rex to return as DC. The Ravens will now, potentially, have one of the best sets of co-ordinators in the league. Ravens fans have reason to be optomistic.
jon dey

Canada

#8 Jan 25, 2008
With Fassel at DC they won't be going anywhere for awhile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WWE Battleground Predictions: Jack Swagger vs. ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News NFL coach rankings: Personality doesn't matter,... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Sobbing Pats fan 3
News Which coaches will be fired? (Nov '11) Dec '11 Jerry Jones 16
News Super Bowl cred doesn't mean as much in today's... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Carloda Vikings 12
News Line of Scrimmage: The road may be best travele... (Jan '11) Jan '11 mrpittsburgh 1
News For now, Morris is tops (Nov '10) Nov '10 MLB Hats 2
More from around the web