Harbaugh welcomes challenge of extend...

Harbaugh welcomes challenge of extended slate of road games wit...

There are 30 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 16, 2008, titled Harbaugh welcomes challenge of extended slate of road games wit.... In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Because of the rescheduling caused by Hurricane Ike , the Ravens' Week10 bye was taken away and they will have to play five road games in a span of 35days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FireTrembley

United States

#21 Sep 16, 2008
Ace wrote:
<quoted text>
What's next is the "inexperienced offensive line." First I'll say that the addition of Willie Anderson will counter that directly. He was an ironman until last year, starting 16 games for 7 of 8 years. And the only difference between an inexperienced offensive line and a darn good one is playing time. All of our starters except Gaither is a first day draft pick, and he could have been if he wasn't forced to come out a year early. Some of our backups are first day picks too. So inexperienced? Yes. Untalented? Doubtful and none of your rambling makes the opposite true.
You counter that argument by saying Willie Anderson...you realize he's not a starter right? You lose this argument.
Upp

Westminster, MD

#22 Sep 16, 2008
Kenny M wrote:
It's just nice to have a coach who isn't
crying about it. Remember Billick and the Thursday night game in Cincinnati when he publicly criticized the league, gave his players two walk-throughs all week, and promised them days off win or lose because they "needed" it? With that kind of excuses and coddling is it any wonder they came out flat four days after shutting out Pittsburgh?
As for the Ravens chances; who knows?
The division is open. The Bengals and Browns have zero wins. The Steelers struggled with the Browns who were blown out by the Cowboys who struggled with the Eagles at home. You never know.
Sometimes when the odds are against you, all a team has left is old-fashioned "coach-em-up" -- something Baltimore hasn't seen lately.
So True..Harbaugh is so ahead and beyond the Billick era that so many fans and our press are stuck in.

All summer and even now the press wanted a taste of whining from some corner.

That era of whining and losing is thankfully over. Today the club is working to be a winner and although it might not be this season, it takes this positive attitude to win in the playoffs.
Kenny M

Towson, MD

#23 Sep 16, 2008
I also like how they're dealing with McGahee. They showed him very quick just how valuable he's not. He'll fall
back in line if he wants that burn.

Remember Smith, Anderson and his fat contract riding the pine while Jamal admitted he didn't give it his all and reached 100 yds twice in two seasons? Aah, the memories.

DEK

Since: Jun 08

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#24 Sep 16, 2008
FireTrembley wrote:
LOL at any assertion that the Ravens could go to the playoffs...our team is crap...an old defense, an inexperienced o-line, undersized receivers, a TE that can't stay healthy, a starting RB that doesn't care, a rookie QB, a rookie coach, a new offensive system, the same crappy defensive system that got lit up last year, a kicker that can't hit from beyond 40 yards, an extremely delusional fanbase, and now 15 games without a bye. I welcome anyone to debate any point I made...they are all facts.
Could you tell me, from your perspective, if the Ravens have any positives at all?
Rob

Las Vegas, NV

#25 Sep 16, 2008
at any assertion that the Ravens could go to the playoffs...our team is crap...an old defense, an inexperienced o-line, undersized receivers, a TE that can't stay healthy, a starting RB that doesn't care, a rookie QB, a rookie coach, a new offensive system, the same crappy defensive system that got lit up last year, a kicker that can't hit from beyond 40 yards, an extremely delusional fanbase, and now 15 games without a bye. I welcome anyone to debate any point I made...they are all facts ] If the defense is so old how is that they were #2 against the run last year and always in the top 6 against the run......the corners Mcalister and Rolle are old but still competitive.....but not enough keep up with the many young fast receivers in the NFL today..the back up corners are horrible with the exception of Washingtion who is fast but has poor instinct.....the defensive pessure is the best in the League....the corners are the only weakness on this defense.... if they had young competitive top notch corners this defense would be virtually inpenatrable...oh and by the way the orioles died with Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson ,Boog Powell,Mark Belanger and Earl Weaver....sorry to tell ya.
GHT

Portland, OR

#26 Sep 16, 2008
Rob wrote:
at any assertion that the Ravens could go to the playoffs...our team is crap...an old defense, an inexperienced o-line, undersized receivers, a TE that can't stay healthy, a starting RB that doesn't care, a rookie QB, a rookie coach, a new offensive system, the same crappy defensive system that got lit up last year, a kicker that can't hit from beyond 40 yards, an extremely delusional fanbase, and now 15 games without a bye. I welcome anyone to debate any point I made...they are all facts ] If the defense is so old how is that they were #2 against the run last year and always in the top 6 against the run......the corners Mcalister and Rolle are old but still competitive.....but not enough keep up with the many young fast receivers in the NFL today..the back up corners are horrible with the exception of Washingtion who is fast but has poor instinct.....the defensive pessure is the best in the League....the corners are the only weakness on this defense.... if they had young competitive top notch corners this defense would be virtually inpenatrable...oh and by the way the orioles died with Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson ,Boog Powell,Mark Belanger and Earl Weaver....sorry to tell ya.
a. IMO the O's officially died when Ken Singleton and Eddie Murray left.
b. You make compelling arguments that can not be denied.
c. it is what it is at this point and we have to wait and see what develops and keep "rebuilding" through the draft and see what happens after next year's purge. Loads of old guys won't be here next year for sure. where will the corners come from?

Since: Jul 08

Baltimore

#28 Sep 16, 2008
FireTrembley wrote:
LOL at any assertion that the Ravens could go to the playoffs...our team is crap...an old defense, an inexperienced o-line, undersized receivers, a TE that can't stay healthy, a starting RB that doesn't care, a rookie QB, a rookie coach, a new offensive system, the same crappy defensive system that got lit up last year, a kicker that can't hit from beyond 40 yards, an extremely delusional fanbase, and now 15 games without a bye. I welcome anyone to debate any point I made...they are all facts.
It's the NFL. Games aren't played on paper. And you can call our defense "old" but last time i checked, we have one of the best, if not THEE best in the business. If the teams don't score, they can't win. Now i'm not saying we pitch a shut out every game, but we can compete with ANYONE in the NFL because of our defense. And Cam Cameron?!?! HELLO!!! Nobody can game plan for us offensively. They have no tapes to reference, they know nothing about this Flacco character. You strongly underestimate the element of surprise. I relate this team to that Steelers team when Big Ben took over. Great running game, stout defense....hmmmm. Kinda sounds like the Ravens. Oh, i thank myself for reminding...myself. Our running game!!! Possibly the BEST tandem of backs in the NFL. That's right. I'm not promising we're going to the playoffs, but i would not be the least bit surprised by any amount of success this team has. They're rallying around our new coach, and it's a new atmosphere in Baltimore. Now, try to argue my points. And what ever happened to fans cheering their team instead of consistently doubting them?!?! Surely there's some true fans left? unlike yourself.
Maui Guy

San Clemente, CA

#29 Sep 16, 2008
I think the Ravens look solid on defense and could gel on offense. First game for example. I live in Maui and La and don't really know what's going on except for the Sun. So I read Preston and take for granted that he knows more than me. He says O line is talented but inexperienced. I figure he knows. Game one... they look more talented than inexp. In fact they blow out Cincy at the end of the game, which is when they have to. But Cincy, everone here says, is crummy. Game two, I watch Cincy and they look bad. So maybe Ravens first game was just a good game agains't a bad team. Now we play Browns, a team we had trouble agains't but which is 0-2. My guess is we will dominate them. Can Flacco live up to game one hype? I think so. I think he looks very poised , cool under fire and has the talent to produce. I could be wrong but my guess is we win 20-6. I didn't see any offensive fire from the Browns. And their defense seems weak.

If this seems boring compared to other posts it's because it's all rational. I try to keep emotions out of my picks.

Baltimore will win 20-6.
A V III

Raleigh, NC

#30 Sep 16, 2008
FireTrembley wrote:
LOL at any assertion that the Ravens could go to the playoffs...our team is crap...an old defense, an inexperienced o-line, undersized receivers, a TE that can't stay healthy, a starting RB that doesn't care, a rookie QB, a rookie coach, a new offensive system, the same crappy defensive system that got lit up last year, a kicker that can't hit from beyond 40 yards, an extremely delusional fanbase, and now 15 games without a bye. I welcome anyone to debate any point I made...they are all facts.
How about to PUFF PUFF PASS THAT $hit!! That's some good stuff you smoking homie!!

That Defense has been in the top 10 healthy or not. That OL is young, but they're SOLID and a lot better than most OLs we've seen so far. Matt Stover is still one of the best regardless of what you say!! Based on ur name, I would say just stick to Baseball sonny boy!! 15 games without a bye!! So what?? is it the end of the world Dummie?? You just need a HUG so go get you some of them goodie hugs!!
FireTrembley

United States

#31 Sep 17, 2008
DEK wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you tell me, from your perspective, if the Ravens have any positives at all?
The uniforms are very nice...and the stadium is conveniently located to the beautiful inner harbor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WWE Battleground Predictions: Jack Swagger vs. ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News NFL coach rankings: Personality doesn't matter,... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Sobbing Pats fan 3
News Which coaches will be fired? (Nov '11) Dec '11 Jerry Jones 16
News Super Bowl cred doesn't mean as much in today's... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Carloda Vikings 12
News Line of Scrimmage: The road may be best travele... (Jan '11) Jan '11 mrpittsburgh 1
News For now, Morris is tops (Nov '10) Nov '10 MLB Hats 2
More from around the web