Grading the AFC

Grading the AFC

There are 20 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Apr 28, 2008, titled Grading the AFC. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Pick to watch // QB Joe Flacco has a better temperament to lead the team than Kyle Boller.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Bruce

United States

#1 Apr 28, 2008
I still think the Ravens deserve an A for this draft. Only time will tell.
hypocrit

Havre De Grace, MD

#2 Apr 28, 2008
I think they deserve a C- and time will tell.
Terp

Arlington, VA

#3 Apr 28, 2008
I love how the astute Baltimore Sun writers give the Steelers a C+(wishful thinking perhaps?) while all other reputable publications rated their draft as one of the best in the NFL. But a draft with Joe Flacco gets a B+?

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

#4 Apr 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, Miami and KC had the Best Drafts....
As Mike Moran putt it about Baltimore's draft..."Joe flacco is not too good. It is not like he dominated his little D2 school. He threw around 25 td's last season. That's it. Andre Woodson threw 40 td's in the damn SEC!!!!! Have fun with your new kyle boller, he is just a little taller. "

Since: Aug 07

Hampstead, MD

#5 Apr 28, 2008
I simply cannot fathom why people are so excited about a QB who has never faced any real competition and has limited mobility to boot. This guy has "flop" written all over him.

Worse yet, they want to play him right away, proving they learned nothing from the Boller fiasco.

As for Ray Rice at #2, he would be a good pick if they were to use some two-RB sets, but that would show imagination and is therefore out of the question. He is scheduled to spell McGahee and be his backup, nowhere near what you want from a second-round pick.

The other high second day picks seem ok. Grade: C.

Since: Feb 08

Perry Point, MD

#6 Apr 28, 2008
Better to atleast try to solve your QB problems like Baltimore than ignore your QB problems like the Bears. That was a lousy call on the Pittsburgh draft. Dude's the type that calls Tom Brady a decent QB as well I'll bet.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#7 Apr 28, 2008
Terp wrote:
I love how the astute Baltimore Sun writers give the Steelers a C+(wishful thinking perhaps?) while all other reputable publications rated their draft as one of the best in the NFL. But a draft with Joe Flacco gets a B+?
Good post. I think this "grade sheet" smacks of homering idiocy. Of course no one knows how drafts will turn out down the road, but based on the current rankings of players, you have to give the Steelers a major grade bonus for picking up a top-15 player at 23 and a top 25 player at the end of the second round. As Terp points out, most analysts realize this, at least the ones not squinting at the draft through purple-colored glasses.
Biff

Troy, MI

#8 Apr 28, 2008
This is some really bad analysis, it seems like the Sun said "we have some space, so Murray...throw some names in."

Quote: "The Steelers needed more de fensive help early."

Didn't they already have a good/top ranked defense? I think their only loss was Clark Haggans, who won't be missed once Lamar Woodley and Lawrence Timmons get the nod.

Ravens had a good draft, but is it a B+? I guess its subjective, though I thought the Ravens missed out on some O-line help. Remains to be seen with Flacco, the NFL has witnessed some good 'small school' quarterbacks come of age. Should be an exciting pick.
WVTERP

New Castle, PA

#9 Apr 28, 2008
RaiderFaith wrote:
As Mike Moran putt it about Baltimore's draft..."Joe flacco is not too good. It is not like he dominated his little D2 school. He threw around 25 td's last season. That's it. Andre Woodson threw 40 td's in the damn SEC!!!!! Have fun with your new kyle boller, he is just a little taller. "
Hey Raider Fan! Have you looked at one of your drafts lately? You got to be kidding me! With the team you have, I wouldn't talk smack about anyone. Raider nation! What a joke!

“Steelers vs. Ditka? Steelers.”

Since: Aug 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Apr 28, 2008
WVTERP wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Raider Fan! Have you looked at one of your drafts lately? You got to be kidding me! With the team you have, I wouldn't talk smack about anyone. Raider nation! What a joke!
Gotta love McFadden. After that...

...well, Al at his finest. Atleast they got rid of Fabian Washington. What a bust that guy was.
Jack Lee

Halethorpe, MD

#11 Apr 28, 2008
hypocrit wrote:
I think they deserve a C- and time will tell.
I think you deserve a lesson in spelling before you're qualified to grade.
Jack Lee

Halethorpe, MD

#12 Apr 28, 2008
I love how the media is fawning over Flacco, when the guy hasn't played a down yet. I don't think he'll be as good as Boller, and given the lousy offensive line and receivers we've had Boller is as good as anyone. Rocket arm and tough as nails. Flacco who?

Best thing about the draft was the trade for Fabian Washington.
Bruce

United States

#13 Apr 29, 2008
RaiderFaith wrote:
Flacco is not like any other QB that the Ravens have signed in the past. All the analysts felt he was the second best QB in the draft. That was NOT the case when Boller got picked. Plus he is a much better thinker, bigger, and stronger than Boller. So you can't really compare the two. So before you open up that small mind of yours, do a little research on him. You'll find he is head and shoulders above Boller. Oh and by the way, thanks for your Cornerback. He'll be a great addition. You're little Oakland Raiders blew that one big time.
Bruce

United States

#14 Apr 29, 2008
Like RaiderFaith, learn a little about Flacco before you open your mouth. It's going to be real hard to get that foot out of it after this year.
Bruce

United States

#15 Apr 29, 2008
Jack Lee wrote:
I love how the media is fawning over Flacco, when the guy hasn't played a down yet. I don't think he'll be as good as Boller, and given the lousy offensive line and receivers we've had Boller is as good as anyone. Rocket arm and tough as nails. Flacco who?
Best thing about the draft was the trade for Fabian Washington.
Like the guy above me, learn a little about Flacco before you open your mouth. It's going to be real hard to get that foot out of it after this year.

Since: Apr 08

Monroe, LA

#16 May 2, 2008
Jopa-n wrote:
Better to atleast try to solve your QB problems like Baltimore than ignore your QB problems like the Bears.
Or the Panthers.

Since: Feb 08

United States

#17 May 4, 2008
LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
Or the Panthers.
Very good oh wise one. That's why your the Guru!!!

Monroe, LA

#19 Jul 2, 2008
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>Very good oh wise one. That's why your the Guru!!!
*bows humbly*

In truth, I don't think of it as wisdom or knowledge of the sport. Just numbers and fate intermingled. Guru? hehe. I'm such a homer, I don't even deserve a title like "unbiased Steeler fan".

LZ

Omaha, NE

#20 Jul 10, 2008
Seems Delhomme is even better than he was last year. Might be a good #2 pick for a QB if any of you guys wanna draft late for a backup QB in your fantasy draft.

If ya didn't know...Delhomme had the second highest QB rating in the league after week 2. 8 TDs and 1 INT in two games. Then he got injured. And he has a pretty easy schedule this year. I say the Panthers get to the second round of the playoffs.

LZ
Tavon Austin

Havre De Grace, MD

#21 Dec 1, 2008
Fang Guy wrote:
I simply cannot fathom why people are so excited about a QB who has never faced any real competition and has limited mobility to boot. This guy has "flop" written all over him.
Worse yet, they want to play him right away, proving they learned nothing from the Boller fiasco.
As for Ray Rice at #2, he would be a good pick if they were to use some two-RB sets, but that would show imagination and is therefore out of the question. He is scheduled to spell McGahee and be his backup, nowhere near what you want from a second-round pick.
The other high second day picks seem ok. Grade: C.
Gee, I guess you were WRONG

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Rucker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Panthers take notice but will `talk with our pads' (Jan '06) Feb '17 NoticePharts 2
News 2013 NFL mock draft: Could the Panthers take a ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Cam 1
News NFL's newest rivalry: Falcons vs. Panthers (Sep '06) Jan '10 Vick is great 6
News Delhomme looks to bounce back (Nov '08) Nov '08 timgoodman 1
News Rucker puts off retirement, plans to play next ... (Feb '08) Feb '08 The Truth of the ... 1
News Rucker plans to play next season (Feb '08) Feb '08 panther fan mike 2
News Season-ending win leaves Carolina more questions (Dec '07) Feb '08 keith 2
More from around the web