NU goes with QB Kafka against Ohio State

NU goes with QB Kafka against Ohio State

There are 5 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 8, 2008, titled NU goes with QB Kafka against Ohio State. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Mike Kafka got another start at quarterback for Northwestern on Saturday, taking the field for the Wildcats' first series against No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

NU Fred

Peninsula, OH

#1 Nov 8, 2008
I was told today that Ohio's team GPA is just over 3.0. This is higher than any team in the B11 including NU. I guess we cant beat them in anything. I say let's lake the posts anyways.
John

Kent, WA

#2 Nov 8, 2008
NU Fred wrote:
I was told today that Ohio's team GPA is just over 3.0. This is higher than any team in the B11 including NU. I guess we cant beat them in anything. I say let's lake the posts anyways.
...which is not hard to believe when you have the option (at OSU) of taking classes like "How to be a Future Gym Teacher 101".
drb NU

United States

#3 Nov 9, 2008
The majority of kids on OSU's football team couldn't get into NU. I do know Jim Tressel makes them go to class. In the all Acedemic class for the conference in all sports Penn State leads and OSU is secound. This isn't really a catagory NU can win because they both have around 2000 of them. That's would mean one quarter of our kids were 3.0 student athletes. I think about one quarter of our kids are student athletes. I'll put our kids intelects up against any in the big ten year in and yaer out and i think we will be just fine. No other schools admision standards are even close to ours.
College Football Fan

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2008
I lost a lot of respect for Jim Tressel and Ohio State yesterday. Up 21 points with less than 7:30 left in the game, and facing an ineffective (and injured) NU offense, Ohio State could have easily ran the clock out. Instead, the chose to run the score up. Facing a 4th and 2, leading 31-10 with ~7 minutes left, OSU faked a punt and ran the ball for the first down. Then, with less than 7 minutes left, they threw a 40 yard pass for a TD. 40 yard passes in the last half of the 4th quarter while leading by 21 points? Not to take anything away from Ohio State, they're a great football team with a ton of talent. However, running up the score in the 4th quarter against an NU team, that let's face it, is no national powerhouse, demonstrated a near complete lack of class.
Bucks Fan in VA

Fredericksburg, VA

#5 Nov 9, 2008
College Football Fan wrote:
I lost a lot of respect for Jim Tressel and Ohio State yesterday. Up 21 points with less than 7:30 left in the game, and facing an ineffective (and injured) NU offense, Ohio State could have easily ran the clock out. Instead, the chose to run the score up. Facing a 4th and 2, leading 31-10 with ~7 minutes left, OSU faked a punt and ran the ball for the first down. Then, with less than 7 minutes left, they threw a 40 yard pass for a TD. 40 yard passes in the last half of the 4th quarter while leading by 21 points? Not to take anything away from Ohio State, they're a great football team with a ton of talent. However, running up the score in the 4th quarter against an NU team, that let's face it, is no national powerhouse, demonstrated a near complete lack of class.
I can understand your comments, but you have to understand Coach Tress is trying to build this team's confidence and letting the offense air it out a little after multiple weeks of ineffective offense is one way to do that. I cringed a little at the fake punt and the long pass TD pass late in the game, but these guys have beaten up over their poor offense by the national media so its hard to ask them to back off. Obviously the last TD was just a run play to get the guy some work and nobody tackled him...even Tress was unhappy with that one. Tress is a class guy and he rarely tries to do anything to embarass another team...it was not personal, just letting the kids play.

BTW: I would agree with the academic standards comment...no comparison between OSU and NU...different schools different focus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Kafka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tim Tebow Won't Play for Patriots Regardless of... (Jun '13) Sep '13 Laughing Bear Fan 12
News Andy Reid isn't committing to Michael Vick long... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Dogchoker 2
News Eagles: Forget Vick, Pick Nick (Aug '12) Sep '12 genevalove 3
News Greg McElroy leads New York Jets to TD in 28-10... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Vick gets a new flak jacket (Aug '12) Aug '12 Vickstain 2
News Eagles' Vick OK, Kafka hurt, Bell demoted (Aug '12) Aug '12 genevalove 4
News Eagles vs. Steelers: Three things to watch (Aug '12) Aug '12 Shadoz 6
More from around the web