New kids on blocks Ravens' hit so far

Full story: Baltimore Sun 62
It's only two games into the NFL season, but the unit with the most questions about it entering the 2008 season has performed well. Full Story
veedub

Englewood, CO

#21 Sep 23, 2008
Another great article, Mike.

OL has been fantastic so far, but Pittsburgh is entirely different animal. It will be interesting to see how they execute against one of the better defenses in the league.
Mon

Baltimore, MD

#22 Sep 23, 2008
I have begged and prayed to see more athleticism on the line with more trapping, pulling and opportunities for the O-line to confuse and flat-out pancake the defense. Seemed that Billick was only interested in straight ahead power blocking -which lead to boring offenses with very few break out plays. THis is fun stuff and the line has to appreciate being given the opportunity to finally get good angles on the defenders and flatten somebody out.
things people say

AOL

#23 Sep 23, 2008
Mark wrote:
Despite loss, Steelers best in division
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers are going to win the AFC North Division. Let's get that straight right at the top. As badly as they played in Philadelphia Sunday, they still are better than Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati. They will prove that again Monday night when they smack down the Ravens at Heinz Field.
I'm thinking something along the lines of 35-10.
Seriously.
Why are you here? I am quite sure the pissburgh has a local paper where you can post on. These fake ravens fans kill me. take your negative commenth and go back where you got that little slanted pissburg quote from and post over there. i can see that you're one of those fake ravens fans that has a raven jersey on while wearing a pair of pittsburg steelers thongs. i even go the extra step and say you have them in home/away colors
Jake

Baltimore, MD

#24 Sep 23, 2008
waspman wrote:
No doubt, bringing in Anderson and Neal are two more feathers for Ozzie's hat not to mention how this young line he drafted has progressed so quickly.
I was wondering about the "#78 is an eligible receiver" announcements in the fourth quarter. A-ha! It was when Anderson came in as well.
Now I'm wondering when we will see a pass to Adam Terry.(Just send somebody else deep, though.)
Having someone like Terry or Anderson "as an eligible receiver" just means they are a TE for that play, thus he can line up as one on the line, and, if need be, catch a pass lol, but they are mainly in there to be another big blocker =)

Since: Mar 08

Baltimore, MD

#25 Sep 23, 2008
Great article, Mike. I will be watching the O-Line play even closer.
B A S H

Toronto, Canada

#26 Sep 23, 2008
The O-line needs to get a chip on it's shoulder and leave it there for the remainder of the season.

The more nasty and disgruntled any O-line is, the more they seem to dominate.

Harbaugh should call the players in to watch last week's game tape, but instead show them the tape of last year's embarrassment in Pitt on MNF to get them fired up.

I loved Suggs' comments yesterday in the article about Landry..."when you have that Raven decal on your helmet..." And Ray fired up w/ a huge hit last Sunday...it's starting to look like old times.

Since: Jan 08

Bel Air - Maryland

#27 Sep 23, 2008
I hope Gaither reads blogs...Believe us, the real fans DO appreciate good OL play, and this group are a bunch of beasts. I can't imagine us not being able to run the ball enough to make a game of it on Monday night. Flacco reminds you of a young Ben, poise, arm strength, unflappable, and hits the easy marks with authority. he'll grow into a QB that can stretch the field, but we can win without that now.

The trick-play Sunday was not needed, and led to INT #2...we were moving the ball at will. Smash-mouth football on Monday night wins it for us, like the old days, ugly W's...
Marcus

Henniker, NH

#28 Sep 23, 2008
I knew the O-line if healthy was going to be better than most people thought. They will be tested this Monday against the Steelers but this unit has been rock solid so far and only given up 1 sack!
Jon

Scottsdale, AZ

#29 Sep 23, 2008
Getting Gaither with the supplemental 5th rounder will go down in Ravens history as one of the three best moves Ozzie ever made. The risk was he had a history as a head case and poor motivation. He seems to have grown up and left that stuff behind.
Mongo

Partlow, VA

#30 Sep 23, 2008
Gaither is the real deal. Ozzie and the scouts should get all the credit in the world for finding this kid (in their own back yard) and developing him. He is nearly as big as Ogden, and far more athletic than JO was during the last 5 years of his career. Gaither has yet to give up a sack this year, and I saw him block two defenders at once on several plays Sunday.

If anything, I thought Cameron was getting a little too far away from the run game in the first half. While I appreciate the willingness to take some shots down the field, why go away from the run if it is successful.

Wonder what Jamal Lewis is thinking right about now.
Mongo

Partlow, VA

#31 Sep 23, 2008
waspman wrote:
No doubt, bringing in Anderson and Neal are two more feathers for Ozzie's hat not to mention how this young line he drafted has progressed so quickly.
I was wondering about the "#78 is an eligible receiver" announcements in the fourth quarter. A-ha! It was when Anderson came in as well.
Now I'm wondering when we will see a pass to Adam Terry.(Just send somebody else deep, though.)
You may see Terry "converted" to a blocking TE (as he was the last couple of games last year) and trade his jersey in for one in the 80s once Anderson gets the hang of the offense. He is an average RT at best, but would enable the Ravens to run an unbalanced line without giving up much on the backside.

I doubt they will throw to Terry (linemen usually have hands of stone), though Cam may give it a whirl when everyone least expects it.
Ravensfan

Alexandria, VA

#32 Sep 23, 2008
CeAlex1223 wrote:
I hope Gaither reads blogs...Believe us, the real fans DO appreciate good OL play, and this group are a bunch of beasts. I can't imagine us not being able to run the ball enough to make a game of it on Monday night. Flacco reminds you of a young Ben, poise, arm strength, unflappable, and hits the easy marks with authority. he'll grow into a QB that can stretch the field, but we can win without that now.
The trick-play Sunday was not needed, and led to INT #2...we were moving the ball at will. Smash-mouth football on Monday night wins it for us, like the old days, ugly W's...
The fact that a trick play was called was not the problem - its execution was the problem - Flacco should have recognized that the play was broken (plus the fact that this was not a Hail Mary situation and a desparation heave into considerable coverage was not necessary) and ran the ball, passed the ball to another receiver or thrown it away.
Dan P

Washington, DC

#33 Sep 23, 2008
I was really impressed with how all the guys did but particularly Terry. He is a player that has it all. He is awesome on both sides of the line and he even moonlights as a tightend. I think this group has shown us all that they are better than anyone expected. Yanda is great. And Grubbs and Brown really work well together. Congrats guys! You and Flacco have started to earn this towns respect.
Dan P

Washington, DC

#34 Sep 23, 2008
One more thing... maybe I missed it but I never saw them insert Anderson in next to Gaither? Didn't they keep him to the right side? I think everyone will be watching the linemen more this season, thanks Mike for a great article.
BmoreRavenous

Chapel Hill, NC

#35 Sep 23, 2008
I actually liked the trick play... so what it led to an interception. When was the last time BB actually called something like that. The OL is damn impressive thus far, and I hope they continue to dominate defensive lines all over the NFL. One thing I've noticed is the increase in aggressiveness. They are no longer taking steps back, instead they are pushing the D-line backwards on pass coverage. Thats impressive! Go Ravens smack those steel loving P.O.S.s from Pittsburgh!
LOL

Houston, TX

#36 Sep 23, 2008
More like "New kids on the block."

Bud

Dover, DE

#37 Sep 23, 2008
This is the week that will tell us if the Ravens are as good as they look. This is the week that will tell them if they are as good as they think they are. This is the week that will make or braeak 500 football for us. This is the week on national TV that could get the team and the city some respect. This is the week that will make the coachs and the players stand tall. Now stop ray from dancing and it will be all good. Man he stinks dancing but he is a hell of a Line backer.
Lewis Fan

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

#38 Sep 23, 2008
I wish I could just let it go, but every week the new coaching staff continues to prove how inept Billick really was. We could have had a dynasty. Yes, I'm living in the past.
McLovin

Philadelphia, PA

#40 Sep 23, 2008
The trick play was also a srategy whether it worked or not to help set up the run and spread the field. I think it was pretty effective. If Flacco can start making some big down field throws, which Im sure he's capable of, we will start to blow teams out.
Cornelius Madry

United States

#41 Sep 23, 2008
The Monday Night game in Pittsburg (Sept. 29th), will give the Baltimore Ravens the chance to gain the respect from the NFL and the nation. If that isn't convincing, the Ravens also plays the Cowboys, Colts, and Eagles. How does a team go 5-11 and then gets one of the toughest schedules the following season. GO RAVENS !!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Flynn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gresh & Zo's No Huddle: Why Was Vick Still Play... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Barbara Hathaway 5
Rookie McClain on his way up (Nov '08) Nov '08 Daniel 12
Remember when? (Sep '08) Sep '08 Fang Guy 2
Not-so-golden oldies (Aug '08) Sep '08 RavenKen 131
Fans find camp a hit (Jul '08) Aug '08 Joe Mess East BMore 9
Patriots sign ex-Raven Flynn (Aug '08) Aug '08 18andDONEwihtoutC... 52
Blocking out talk of being the backup (Aug '08) Aug '08 Shas 8
More from around the web