Starting Orton key to Bears' offense righting itself

Nov 19, 2008 Read more: Chicago Tribune 42
With due respect to the need to dissect the Bears' defense like a frog in high school biology class, maybe we all are missing the point regarding a root cause of this two-game losing streak. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Shiloh

Columbus, OH

#1 Nov 19, 2008
I think you have a man crush on Orton. He's an average quarterback. You want to see great, compare him to the great ones, doesn't work. He's just ok.
AngryBearsFAn

Osteen, FL

#2 Nov 19, 2008
He definitely has a man crush on ORton, Freakn Orton lover what he is! Orton should have never played in that game vs. the Packers. He wasn't even healthy nor productive. They should have went with Rex,since REx is and will be forever now 3-0 against the Packers. Poor widdle Kyle's ankle is hurting, man enough and sit on the bench till it heals fully fool! He's rushing to get back, so that REx one day won't excel. We all know REx can light it up when he's hot, and also stink it up when he's not. Kyle really needs a reality check and so does the coaching staff. Bunch of Neanderthals .........
pld coach

Monomoy Island, MA

#3 Nov 20, 2008
"They beat us and would have if I was healthy."

No excuse leadership. That is a far cry from some of the cry babies that have played QB. I like this guy, even with a beard.
pld coach

Monomoy Island, MA

#4 Nov 20, 2008
Hey, angrybearsfan...regarding Grossman's record against the Bears, did you ever hear about a regression to the mean?

Since: Oct 08

Merrimac, WI

#5 Nov 20, 2008
Rex should of went in at the half, Then maybe they would've got on the same page to score some points! So easy we forget he did take most of this team to a Super Bowl!the coaches are really sucking it up and the players well there in the twilight zone! Lets just see if they get fired up in St.Louis! and pld the man Rex has beaten the Pack many times before
GO BEARS GO
SAH

Bradenton, FL

#6 Nov 20, 2008
Surely you jest. Orton will play well again....well I was going to say the next time we play a pathetic team.....but that didn't work for him either when he was losing to the "Almighty Lions" before he got hurt.
Oh well. Now, if he can just keep getting injured or at least something nicked up real bad, he'll never have to play well again to get a nice fat contract and such continued wonderful support from ignorant sportswriters.
Rex is Done

United States

#7 Nov 20, 2008
Somebody just called Haugh a KO lover? Are you out of your mind? Why dont you browse some archives over the past few years - essentially every other article Haugh wrote was in defense of Rex. If anything, it must have really pained him to get off Rex bandwagon, and he was one of the last ones off it, even after the wheels fell of.

Kyle will be just fine
KenK

Denver, CO

#8 Nov 20, 2008
"Players have limited faith in Rex Grossman after he filled in against Tennessee". No I think Lovie has limited faith in him. They are really using this kid. Should have let him go before the trading deadline. Rumor has it there were inquiries for him but the front office was too stuborn to let him go.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#9 Nov 20, 2008
KenK wrote:
"Players have limited faith in Rex Grossman after he filled in against Tennessee". No I think Lovie has limited faith in him. They are really using this kid. Should have let him go before the trading deadline. Rumor has it there were inquiries for him but the front office was too stuborn to let him go.
Rumors lie. Grossman has ZERO NFL value 2 other teams.
yochanan

South Bend, IN

#10 Nov 20, 2008
the first part of the year looked good now who knows.

after obama becomes president the bears will win every game and there will be unicorn sightings

Since: Jul 08

Genoa IL.

#11 Nov 20, 2008
yochanan wrote:
the first part of the year looked good now who knows.
after obama becomes president the bears will win every game and there will be unicorn sightings
I`m afraid of Unicorns, with good reasons.
Rich W

Sun Prairie, WI

#12 Nov 20, 2008
Rex is Done wrote:
Somebody just called Haugh a KO lover? Are you out of your mind? Why dont you browse some archives over the past few years - essentially every other article Haugh wrote was in defense of Rex. If anything, it must have really pained him to get off Rex bandwagon, and he was one of the last ones off it, even after the wheels fell of.
Kyle will be just fine
You are so right I almost stopped reading Haugh because it seemed like I was reading love letters to Rex.

I think the best line was the players not having faith in Rex. That with the players making Orton a captain tells you they have faith in Orton.

I do not say Orton is great but he is the best we have had in a long time but it is hard to tell with sub par receivers just how good he is.
bushrags

Tempe, AZ

#13 Nov 20, 2008
Rich W wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right I almost stopped reading Haugh because it seemed like I was reading love letters to Rex.
I think the best line was the players not having faith in Rex. That with the players making Orton a captain tells you they have faith in Orton.
I do not say Orton is great but he is the best we have had in a long time but it is hard to tell with sub par receivers just how good he is.
Wait a minute Rich...Grossman backers were never allowed to wonder about subpar receivers, subpar running attack, subpar O line play....just sayin'
Philo

Seminole, FL

#14 Nov 20, 2008
Rex is Done wrote:
Kyle will be just fine
What Haugh was and what he IS are two different things.

Haugh is the same now as many of the Orton fans are, one who would support anyone NOT named Rex.

He did used to support Grossman, now he's all in for Orton. In two years he'll be all in for whomever is back there then.

A lot of things have happened this season. One of them is showing that Grossman isn't the only Bears QB to screw up big time, he's just the only one to get booed for doing it.

Haugh article really does peeve me a bit though. He talks about how any NFL team would have lost scoring 17 and 24 points. Funny, but that is more than they scored in 2005 during almost every Orton start and we won.

The truth finally came out. the Bears do NOT just seem to 'win' when Orton's the QB. We seem to win when we have a dominating D.
JBS

Mundelein, IL

#15 Nov 20, 2008
Right, David Haugh. The reason that the Bears offense struggled against Tennessee and Green Bay was only because the Bears changed their offensive game plan. Because we all know that if Ron Turner was only more imaginative and aggressive in his play calling, everything would have been fine. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Bears offensive players are actually rather mediocre by league standards and the defenses they played were actually rather good by league standards. No, that has nothing to do with it. If only Kyle Unitas had not twisted his ankle, the Bears would be 7-3 and would have won both games handily. You watch: The Bears are about to face another bad defense (worse than Minnesota or Atlanta vs. the pass.) They and Orton will put up solid numbers and these boards will be full of meatballs going on and on about how great Kyle Unitas is and discussing whether he is not only the next Tom Brady, but whether Tom Brady should actually feel honored to hold the clipboard for Kyle.
dils

United States

#16 Nov 20, 2008
I just heard Trent Dilfer on the radio saying that if Mcnabb became available that the Bears shouldn't take him and should stick with Orton I quote "The Bears have there Quarterback". At least we know it isn't just local meatballs drinking the Orton kool-aid. The biggest defense for Orton lovers prior to this year was his record as a starter, well guess what meatheads, counting the half before Orton got hurt, Orton would be 4-6 as a starter this year. That terrible guy name Grossman is the reason we're not below .500 now. You guys are going to get enough of this hypocrisy. I'll say it one more time: ORTON BETTER WIN THIS SUNDAY!! Because if he plays terrible and the Bears lose a lot of meatball fans, and meatball media people will have a lot to answer for.
Rich

Hays, KS

#17 Nov 20, 2008
THAT FUNK STARTED A LITTLE LONGER THAN A MINUTE BEFORE HALF IN THE lIONS GAME TO BE EXACT ABOUT 23 TO 13 BEFORE AND IF HE DIDN'T GET HURT WHO KNOWS. As far as losing faith in Rex cause he only accounted for 14 points against Tenn. Only 3 teams this year scored more and not much more at that.Orton was 4 and 3 and on the way to another loss when he got hurt.
Arnie

Duluth, GA

#18 Nov 20, 2008
All you Rex supporters.. Stop your man-love for him. If you notice the address are from Flori-DA.
Rex SUCKS.. Flori-DA boys, I'm sorry!
Rex of Sept 2006 is not coming back. He can't handle pressure and everyone knows it.

Orton will be a better than average QB in the NFL. If we pick up Houshmandzadeh or Bolden in the off-season he'll be a pro-bowl QB. If Rex had them both he would still sucks because he can't deal with pressure and he can't read defenses and his decision making ability SUCKS.
Stratmaster

Fairhope, AL

#19 Nov 20, 2008
How ridiculous. now, of course, a player being healthy should always make him play better, but if his ankle was bad enough to affect his productivity that dramatically he shouldn't have been on the field.

Orton is an average QB, no better and no worse than Grossman. The games where we supposedly "lit up" the opposition were against the weakest defenses in the NFL. Orton has yet to do anything against a decent defense, and Green Bay showed his weaknesses. The Tennessee game was a fortunate one for him to miss.
E B F

United States

#20 Nov 20, 2008
The full story on Orton hasn't been told yet. As a rookie, he won games mainly because we had a dominating defense.
In the first half of 2008, he was great, similar to Rex in early '06.
Now is the time to prove he can keep it up even though teams have film on him and will attempt take away his strenths.
The Bears claim to be a running team, but being a running team doesn't mean being conservative. They have absolutely no imagination. Zero.
We as fans can see what Bears coaches cannot.
To me, it's as simple as rushing out of different formations, using well thought out draws and screens on obvious passing downs, and for the love of God doing something, anything that's unpredictable.
But that's just a fan talking.
"Rex is our quaterback."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
News Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
News Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
News All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
News Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
News Free agent Darren Sharper still considering Bears (Mar '09) Mar '10 skins fan 49
News LA foothill suburbs dig out after mudslides (Feb '10) Feb '10 go go golphers 1
More from around the web