Free agent Darren Sharper still considering Bears

Free-agent safety Darren Sharper visited the Saints on Monday but left New Orleans without signing a contract. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ProudBayAreaResi dent

San Jose, CA

#1 Mar 4, 2009
T.O. just came on the market, go get him Jerry Angelo, I believe Lovie can keep him in check. Just think T.O. & Devin spreading the field having the defense respect our passing game, wow what kind of season would Matt Forte have without 8 or 9 in the box.
Chicago Jim

Arroyo Grande, CA

#2 Mar 4, 2009
This guy is too DARN OLD ...
Bill

Elgin, IL

#3 Mar 4, 2009

SIX days of "focusing" on this buffoon,......... and the Bears have not yet set up a visit to Halas Hall ???

W O W !!!

Jerry, you're an even BIGGER BUFFOON !!

Stephen

Houston, TX

#4 Mar 4, 2009
ProudBayAreaResident wrote:
T.O. just came on the market, go get him Jerry Angelo, I believe Lovie can keep him in check. Just think T.O. & Devin spreading the field having the defense respect our passing game, wow what kind of season would Matt Forte have without 8 or 9 in the box.
There are several flaws here. What makes you think Lovie can keep him in check when Steve Mariuchi, Andy Reid, Wade Phillips/Jerry Jones, could not keep him in check? You are delusional if you think any single coaching staff can keep TO in check.

Why would TO want to come here? You think he would be a good match with Orton? The first underthrown pass and TO would be crushing Orton. TO would eat Orton alive.

The playing calling. The constant run, run, short pass, play calling would have TO crushing Turner.

TO is a team killer! This is absolutely the biggest reason for any team not to sign him!
Stephen

Houston, TX

#5 Mar 4, 2009
Bill wrote:
SIX days of "focusing" on this buffoon,......... and the Bears have not yet set up a visit to Halas Hall ???
W O W !!!
Jerry, you're an even BIGGER BUFFOON !!
I would guess that the Bears' staff have done their homework. It is not uncommon for teams to sign players without a visit. This is especially true for veteran players when there is plenty of game film to study. Do you think Albert Haynesworth actually visited the Redskins when then signed him within hours of the start of FA?
Mark from IL

Davenport, IA

#6 Mar 4, 2009
T.O your next stop is aboard the Bears Train... hes gonna be a great fit i love it!!!!
Larry

Olympia Fields, IL

#7 Mar 5, 2009
Until the sports media in this town and the fans start demanding that the Bears spend some money the Bears are going to be cheap. The Bears are way under the salary cap and to not spend any money and to sit back and watch the fans accept this is truely amazing.
Bill

Carol Stream, IL

#8 Mar 5, 2009
Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>
I would guess that the Bears' staff have done their homework. It is not uncommon for teams to sign players without a visit. This is especially true for veteran players when there is plenty of game film to study. Do you think Albert Haynesworth actually visited the Redskins when then signed him within hours of the start of FA?

Then, why are airports constantly full of businesspeople who are going for a face-to-face ??

Because .. that's .. how .. deals .. are .. done !

Unless one has the personality of a broomstick.

Bill

Carol Stream, IL

#9 Mar 5, 2009
Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>

Perhaps that's why Angelo ends up with so many misfits and busts on the roster.

Hebs

Montgomery, AL

#10 Mar 5, 2009
Bill... yer an idiot... how desperate do you sound, pining after a guy that's past his prime. Sure we need some vertern leadership back there. And we definitely someone that can teach Steltz how to wrap up and tackle... but we don't need to rake ourselves over the coals for him... If the price is right, he'll take it... let's just not over spend.
Bill

Carol Stream, IL

#11 Mar 5, 2009
Hebs wrote:
Bill... yer an idiot... how desperate do you sound, pining after a guy that's past his prime. Sure we need some vertern leadership back there. And we definitely someone that can teach Steltz how to wrap up and tackle... but we don't need to rake ourselves over the coals for him... If the price is right, he'll take it... let's just not over spend.

Did you get up a little too early??

Just where in the hell did you get the idea that I want Sharper??

Actually, I've been pointing out that the Bears shouldn't have gotten rid of Mike Brown...... And he'd be cheaper than Sharper.

I'm merely showing how inept Angelo is as a negotiator.

Denny Green

Tallahassee, FL

#12 Mar 5, 2009
He is not coming to the Bears. This is where safeties come to die. Besides, the Bears have a reputation for being the whinniest fans on the planet. Sure the Eagles fans will throw snowballs, but the Bear fans actually go to other teams websites to tell them how awful their new free agent will be. Of course, so far, every guy who has left Chicago has done better in his new locale. Even lowly Cedric Benson who got cut for being the wrong color in Texas,(which is a much worse offense than smashing your Lamborghini into a telephone pole) is doing great. It is sure going to hurt when Cincy is in the playoffs with Grossman and Benson, and the Bears are sitting at home. I am sure the "Wrecks sucks" posts will ease the pain.
Da Bearss

United States

#13 Mar 5, 2009
If Sharper wants to be a Bear, let's accomodate him. The only thing worse than letting Mean Mike Brown go would be not replacing him.

As for T.O., the only thing that will "keep him in check" is winning, just like when Dennis Rodman was on the Championship Bulls. T.O. would rather play in the Arena League than Chicago, a cold-weather city that plays its football outside on grass (green-painted dirt come December).
Asher Chase Boisvert

Santa Clara, CA

#14 Mar 5, 2009
Although this most likely will not create the cannonball splash that some Bears fans have been looking for, I do believe someone like Sharper is a necessity. God knows I LOVE Mike Brown, but dude simply couldn't get back on track. Sharper is like a healthy Mike Brown nowadays. I really feel like we need a veteran presence at this position, be it as a starter or just as a mentor.
Howard the Duck

Birmingham, AL

#15 Mar 5, 2009
So why are we arguing about the Bears needing to schedule a visit with Darrin Sharper because "that's how business gets done..."?

Sharper actually says in the article that he could sign with the Bears without a visit because he knows the team, the city and the players so well already.

...shouldn't that settle this ridiculous debate?

And a quick question to Bill - do you want Darrin Sharper or Craig Steltz as the free safety for the Bears?... and Mike Brown is not an option here; he isn't coming back.
ab rami

Palo Alto, CA

#16 Mar 5, 2009
go for leinart
Stan

Laguna Niguel, CA

#17 Mar 5, 2009
Craig Steltz is a bust. If you watched last year, he was always the guy that came into your picture just after the play ended. Great timing. The Bears are in serious trouble at that position if they don't find veteran help going into the season.
KOZ

Chicago, IL

#18 Mar 5, 2009
We don't need Sharper, the guys way past his prime. I say let's wait and see if the Cowboys release Roy Williams. He would be a nice fit and a hard hitter the Bears sorely need.
Brandon

United States

#19 Mar 5, 2009
I am so tired of hearing how the Bears already have a starter in Kevin Payne. That guy sucks. Istead of wrapping up and making tackles he always goes for the deathshot and misses 3/4 of the time. He sucks in coverage. We need starters at both safety positions. Sign Sharper and Jermaine Phillips. A week ago Jerry said he was looking for #1 receiver talent only. Well Jerry, look who just became available. Sign TO to a 2 year deal and sure up our O-Line and D-Line in the draft. TO is not as bad as everyone says. He's never been arrested, so don't lump him in with Vick, Pacman, and Tank. He's an exceptional talent at WR and he might come cheaper than he should considering the circumstances. Do it.
Dave

Schaumburg, IL

#20 Mar 5, 2009
Release Roy Williams?!?!?! HAHAHAHA!!! They gave up 3 picks for him, that's the funniest thing I have read in a while, thanks KOZ, LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
LA foothill suburbs dig out after mudslides (Feb '10) Feb '10 go go golphers 1
Evacuees return to LA-area homes swamped with mud (Feb '10) Feb '10 el oh el 1
More from around the web