Bears' secret weapon: Frerotte

Bears' secret weapon: Frerotte

There are 51 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 29, 2008, titled Bears' secret weapon: Frerotte. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Gussy up the numbers any way you want. Gus Frerotte still gives the Bears a better chance of winning Sunday at the Metrodome than he does the Vikings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sam

Honolulu, HI

#1 Nov 29, 2008
Seems pretty optimistic. There are alot of things that might work, but it comes down AP-all-day running all over our 'stout' defense. I truly hope we can pull this off at the dome.
Fact Checker

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 29, 2008
The fact this guy has a job at the trib speaks volumes as to the state of newspaper journalism.
Minnesota Maestro

Rochester, MN

#3 Nov 29, 2008
All of MN is looking forward to a good game tomorrow night, and, for you Chicago fans who want some real reporting, check out the MSP star tribune. You'd think a world-class city like Chicago would attract world-class journalists. No such luck so it seems.
Real Minnesotans

Rochester, MN

#4 Nov 29, 2008
Shovel, we don't use snowblowers.
Mike

Spring Valley, CA

#5 Nov 29, 2008
The last time Horrible Haugh tried to smear a QB before the game was played, the Lions darn near beat the Bears.

You would think he'd learn to stay away from bulletin board material but it appears that Horrible Haugh wants to be read in the opposition clubhouse.

Isn't it way past time that this guy gets sent packing? What is wrong with the Tribune now? They used to be a decent paper with decent journalists.

Since: Nov 08

God's Country

#6 Nov 29, 2008
Ya know I never have got people placing posts that blast journalists. What does that accomplish? All you do is let the Tribune know (a.)you're reading his articles, and what's more,(b.) you feel passionate enough to comment. If you think he sucks so bad quit reading his articles and the Trib will find someone better. It's called double secret reverse psychology or something, but I think (hope) you get my point. For the record, I like Haugh that's why I READ THE ARTICLE!
vikings fan

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Nov 29, 2008
wow you seem to have forgotten how the bears offense was rendered useless against the vikings defense so just keep hoping gus and the special teams can give the game away because you know deep down the bears are an inferior team
E B F

Skokie, IL

#8 Nov 30, 2008
This game will prove if the Bears are
Dr.Jeckyl(Six wins where half of 'em could've
been losses)or Mr.Hyde(Five losses where three of 'em could've been wins). I don't give a damn if we play a grammar school team, if you can crush 'em, crush 'em! So the Rams suck...too bad! Been there, hate that. The Bears should be ready to scratch, bite, grab, and yes, even crawl to a win in Vike-Town if they have to. The stakes are that high!
We can be sure of one thing though,
most of the bulletin board material
that goes back and forth between teams is media created. A Minnesota reporter hands Frerotte this article and it gets his blood boiling. Nice.
As if winning in that noisy-a*s stadium isn't hard enough as it is.
DagoT

Mobile, AL

#9 Nov 30, 2008
Think about it, how important IS the QB position -- the Bears made it to a Super Bowl with Shorty!
allchifan

United States

#10 Nov 30, 2008
Why make light of a QB that threw for almost 300 yards and would of beaten us if it hadn't been for some blown special team plays. The Vikes QB can beat us easily and Tillman is far from a 'shut down corner'. This article is just wishful thinking and to say Petersen is less of a threat than their QB is just stupid. We beat the RAMS....that's all. Our defense is second class at best and Vikes will have 400+ yards against this underachieving, overpaid Bears defense. As long as we have Babich and Lovie and Turner we will continue to flounder.
BearsFan2

Bradenton, FL

#11 Nov 30, 2008
I thought your description of a back-up QB as one who does nothing special on the field perfect for Kyle Orton.
And how important is the QB position in getting to a Super Bowl......well, some Orton fans are going to find that out real soon.
Russell

Britton, MI

#12 Nov 30, 2008
Once again Haugh leads the way with his courageous, insightful, and ground breaking coverage of... some guy on the other team. Guess we need to read the opposing teams sports page to get any kind of professional coverage of the Bears. Makes you wonder how the bears intimidate the sportswriters in this town so much, or was being completely ineffective the standard for getting the job in the first place. Hard to say anymore, maybe they are just angling for out of town sports page gigs, yeah that must be it.
One Eye Covered

United States

#13 Nov 30, 2008
Wow. Such grumpiness on this 13th week of the NFL schedule. Haugh is one of the best sports writers on the Tribunes staff. I cant say whether that is a compliment to David or an indictment on the poor quality of the rest of the staff, but suffice it to say I, for one, am glad it was Mike Downey who is gone and not Haugh. As for tonites game, it is a virtual playoff game towards winning the division. The problem is that the Bears have shown that they cant enjoy even the most limited amount of success. If the Rams game was one step forward, then tonites Vikes game will probably be two steps back, resulting in a 6-6 record, and the familiar refrain that the Bears are what we thought they were. And that is, of course, that they are not very good. No wied receivers and no pressure from the D-line equals a Vikings route, which will be followed by the typical calls for Jerrys and Lovies heads angst, and four weeks of pondering draft prospects that Jerry will get wrong anyway. Oh what fun. And you megamopes are worried about the columnist. That’s pretty funny.
Bill

United States

#14 Nov 30, 2008
BearsFan2 wrote:
I thought your description of a back-up QB as one who does nothing special on the field perfect for Kyle Orton.
And how important is the QB position in getting to a Super Bowl......well, some Orton fans are going to find that out real soon.

And,... your " solution " is .......... what ??

Mark G

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 30, 2008
Vikings are 4-1 at home. Even though the Bears are a better team, the game being up in MN could be a problem
Saddened

Glendale Heights, IL

#16 Nov 30, 2008
I am sure that the Vikings are looking forward to beating the Bears. I heard too much during the week that make me think that the Bears still do not get it. The Bears beating the Rams does not a good defense make. But, this is all I heard during the week -- that the Bears got their mojo back. We will see if this real or just another fairy tale with a bad ending delivered by Lovie and crew.
Check your facts MN

Amery, WI

#17 Nov 30, 2008
First off, Haugh is a very good journalist -- the critics probably couldn't make it through a 3rd grade spelling bee.

And if you want to see some QB criticism, all you need to do is go to the Mpls startribune web site and see the celebrity rip jobs they give old Gus. However Gus does, it doesn't matter what we have to say in Chicago. It's just the facts, jack.
1bearsfan

United States

#18 Nov 30, 2008
Haugh is just a Typical journalist.He even gives the other team ammunition to play better.By trashing their Q.B right before a big game that we need to win.Most Journalist's will do anyone & screw anyone to get a story,absolutely heartless!! Thanks David for pumping up the Vikings for us Tonight! I did not know you wrote for Minnesota & not the Tribune.You are back stabbing all of us,I hope it is worth it!! I lost some serious respect for you today,David. Its confusing how a Tribune writer would hurt their own team & help their Opponent get Fired up right before the game! Journalists have No-Loyalty except to the Big Story,Controversy(Dirty laundry).Even with David's attempted Sabotage on our Bears.I say the Bears win 27 to Vikings 10. BEAR DOWN!! GO BEARS,2008 DIVISION CHAMPS!!
The Voice of Reason

Louisville, KY

#19 Nov 30, 2008
vikings fan wrote:
wow you seem to have forgotten how the bears offense was rendered useless against the vikings defense so just keep hoping gus and the special teams can give the game away because you know deep down the bears are an inferior team
The bears offense scored 34 points against the vikings defense??
Annoyed

Glendale Heights, IL

#20 Nov 30, 2008
1bearsfan wrote:
Haugh is just a Typical journalist.He even gives the other team ammunition to play better.By trashing their Q.B right before a big game that we need to win.Most Journalist's will do anyone & screw anyone to get a story,absolutely heartless!! Thanks David for pumping up the Vikings for us Tonight! I did not know you wrote for Minnesota & not the Tribune.You are back stabbing all of us,I hope it is worth it!! I lost some serious respect for you today,David. Its confusing how a Tribune writer would hurt their own team & help their Opponent get Fired up right before the game! Journalists have No-Loyalty except to the Big Story,Controversy(Dirty laundry).Even with David's attempted Sabotage on our Bears.I say the Bears win 27 to Vikings 10. BEAR DOWN!! GO BEARS,2008 DIVISION CHAMPS!!
It must be time for your next dose of Ritalin. It might also be a good idea to take a class in grammar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Now Grossman knows what not to do (Jan '06) Feb '17 RexPhartings 2
News Bear Vs. Panther: Who Would Win In Nature? (Jan '06) Jun '15 Fart news 22
News Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
News Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
News Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
News All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
News Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
More from around the web