Chicago Bears in contact with free ag...

Chicago Bears in contact with free agent Darren Sharper

There are 100 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Chicago Bears in contact with free agent Darren Sharper. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

There is a mutual interest between the Bears and veteran safety Darren Sharper .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Deep Dish

La Grange Park, IL

#1 Feb 28, 2009
Get Sharper. Get Lavernius Coles. Trade Orton/Oguneyle/Draft pick for Cutler and we might actually have something. I'm only dreaming though because we know Angelo all to well. 30 million left in cap space!!! Start spending!!!
Just an American

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Feb 28, 2009
I agree Deep Dish, unfortunately we will have to wait and see what Angelo does, sometimes I wonder if they really want another ring.

Since: Feb 09

Northridge, CA

#3 Feb 28, 2009
I think Brian Dawkins would of been way better. Sharper's not that good... But, I'll take him. Could this off season get any worse? At least get Marvin Harrison... How many hall of famers can Angelo really pass up? I'll tell you one thing that Matt Cassel trade makes me sick.
Bird

Columbia City, IN

#4 Feb 28, 2009
Anybody think this will really happen? They didn't raise ticket prices. They have to "watch the economy!" Do all the Chicago teams play this game to keep their fans interested?
Bird

Columbia City, IN

#5 Feb 28, 2009
He's 33 years old!!! Wait, what is Night Train Lane doing?
Bill

Wheaton, IL

#6 Feb 28, 2009

Here we go again.......... "Bears focus on Darren Sharper".

Just like every other year.......... The Bears focus upon one player ... and focus ... and focus ... and focus .......... While other teams actually MAKE THE DEALS !( Gosh.... SOME teams actually put "packages" of players AND draft picks together!... What a concept!)

Quite a few D*a*m^n good players ( WRs, QBs, CBs, RBs ), all of whom were on the Bears' "needs list", are already gone, while the Bears d*i^c^k around "focusing" on one player.

And after the "focusing" is finished, and the deal falls thru, the Bears are left holding their D___KS !!

Same thing, year after year!

David

United States

#7 Feb 28, 2009
cheer up buckaroos! all is not lost... i'm still holding out that omylao or whatever his name is will work out. puhahaha.
Deep Dish

La Grange Park, IL

#8 Feb 28, 2009
Great post Bill, I couldn't have said it any better.
Tim J

Boulder, CO

#9 Feb 28, 2009
Jay Cutler is unhappy about being shopped around by the Broncos. Talk about a premier QB who can come in with a great running back and make things happen. As long as he has a line to protect him. Sharper would be a much needed addition on D. As long as he stays healthy. Why do the Bears never finish a season with the same safeties? The deepballs lost most of the close games for the Bears last season.
brettsky51

Wood Dale, IL

#10 Feb 28, 2009
How much does the old man have left in the tank and how much is it going to cost us?

I'm so leery about going after crusty old veterans like this.

Then again I'm even more afraid of Craig Steltz being named the starter.

Oh the dilemma.

http://monstersofthemidwayillustrated.wordpre...
Chad

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Feb 28, 2009
I have to laugh!! Cassel and Vrabel to KC for the freaking 34th pick in the draft.

My guess is the the wonder twins never even offered our 18th pick. Last time I checked our worthless GM told the world QB was the priority.

What a F****** Joke!!!
Rocket Man

Liverpool, NY

#12 Mar 1, 2009
Tell me why signing "washed-up" Darren Sharper would be better than re-signing "often-injured" Mike Brown?
Ohio Joe

Pataskala, OH

#13 Mar 1, 2009
Do we really want one of the captains of the Love Boat?
Paul

AOL

#14 Mar 1, 2009
I can't understand why the Bears aren't more active in the free agent market. doesn't Jerry A understand the bears have many holes that adressed? Signing a lineman that has played in only one game doesn't seem like the Bears are trying to improve. Why weren't the Bears involved in trying to get Matt Cassel? Come on Jerry wake up.
Greg

Batavia, IL

#15 Mar 1, 2009
Opposing receivers can expect a Sharper Payne when they play the Bears this year.
val

Aurora, IL

#16 Mar 1, 2009
Paul,

The bears aren't more active in the free agent market because we have a bunch of bozos running the club (phillips for allowing this to continue, angelo because he cannot draft players and lovie because he can't coach or make decisions at crucial times...or even non crucial times). Until all 3 of these stooges are fired, there is nothing to understand. Wait till next year.
The only thing I see developing is the eventual firing of these guys. Only then will this team have a chance to rebound.
In the mean time, enjoy the show. It will be full of laugh till Christmas.
Bear in PAT town

Stonington, CT

#17 Mar 1, 2009
The Vikings are starting to look a bit scary. Jared Allen, Williams pair, AP, Berrian & now T.J.H? That looks like a team heading to the Superbowl, while bloody Angelo 'rewards' his own.The Bears would be better off having high school kids line up for them. Why does Angelo contradict himself? He did not want aging veterans and now Sharper? What an idiot!
G money

Round Lake, IL

#18 Mar 1, 2009
As long as Jerry "excuses" Angelo and Lovie "alibi" Smith are in charge the Bears will be happy with "average"! That way they can continue to say "we are close" and keep Phillips happy financially! Until the two of them get run out of town, expect the same we have been seeing since they took charge. In this econonmy it isnt about winning, its about keeping your jobs! Angelo and Smith are "winners' at doing just that!
AX Pax

Spartanburg, SC

#19 Mar 1, 2009
Chad wrote:
I have to laugh!! Cassel and Vrabel to KC for the freaking 34th pick in the draft.
My guess is the the wonder twins never even offered our 18th pick. Last time I checked our worthless GM told the world QB was the priority.
What a F **** Joke!!!
I Agree. Da Bears have become nothing more than a joke. It is clear either they are inept (My guess) or don't really want to compete.

The entire offense is a need except tight end. The defense was pathetic in many games so you can't even say that they have got one side to rely on. Sad part is they did just good enough to buy sleepy smith and Angelo one more year. I guess we can hope for them to clean house next season but then we will be in full rebuild mode and not that competitive...
Sagey

Cicero, IL

#20 Mar 1, 2009
Tons of great players shuttling between teams already and we're on the sidelines again, getting worse by the minute. A back up OT and an over the hill safety are not gonna do much for this mediocre team. How can we not pursue Housh or even Harrison????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bear Vs. Panther: Who Would Win In Nature? (Jan '06) Jun '15 Fart news 22
News Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
News Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
News Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
News All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
News Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
News Free agent Darren Sharper still considering Bears (Mar '09) Mar '10 skins fan 49
More from around the web