Brown down but not out of picture

Brown down but not out of picture

There are 40 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 26, 2008, titled Brown down but not out of picture. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It was hard to argue with an exasperated Jerry Angelo in January at Halas Hall when he wondered aloud, "How am I going to count on Mike Brown ?" Some inside the Bears organization will ask that same question ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chris R

United States

#21 Dec 27, 2008
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Chris R. Hardliner is criticizing the fact that Mike Brown is still on the team.
I thought you should know that before you start jumping up and down eager to agree with him.
John, I was responding to the sarcasm in Hardliner's call for Angelo as Executive of the Year.
Rich

Hays, KS

#22 Dec 27, 2008
We seem to feel bad that our team don't win the Super Bowl evey year, Feel the pain of these guys---Teams that have never won a Super Bowl:

Buffalo Bills,
Cincinnati Bengals,
Cleveland Browns,
Houston Texans,
Jacksonville Jaguars,
Tennessee Titans,
San Diego Chargers,
Philadelphia Eagles,
Detroit Lions,
Minnesota Vikings,
Atlanta Falcons,
Carolina Panthers,
New Orleans Saints,
Arizona Cardinals,
and the Seattle Seahawks.
Dave

Chicago, IL

#23 Dec 27, 2008
You have a good name, but your ideas are backwards. Give Orton an extension? Sign Mike Brown? Do you want the Bears next year to be worst than this year?
CRBear

Decorah, IA

#24 Dec 27, 2008
Mr. Haugh,
I agree a 100%, the Bears NEED the emotional intensity Brown brings. Many of the fans are screaming for Urlachers lack of intensity (but none have had to play NFL football while missing most of your offseason work outs due to neck surgery) but what if he returns to form next year? Mike Brown, with a revitalized Urlacher and Briggs bringing it like he has...let's throw in Adams and Brown and we have a Dominant Defensive Cookie.
Mike Brown is a beast, bring him back with an incentive loaded contract and groom him for a coaching position. Brown is too hard core to allow him to go, what if Singletary were a DC for us...
Rich

Hays, KS

#25 Dec 27, 2008
There was a big hue and cry for Culpepper,McNabb, and that guy from the Browns whose name escapes me (the Browns too)maybe one of them could replace Mr. Brown. Last July this paper said"whoever ends up with FARVE will automatically win the SUPER BOWL" Well time will tell on that one.Every year a couple thousand football players leave upwards of 700 schools ==NFL - only 32 teams The Combine has proven that the difference between the best of the best and the worst is minimal,fractions of a sec in speed , One or two reps in strenght maybe an inch in leaping. So what it boils down to is "You win some , You lose some, and some end up in a tie" Getting back to his HIGHNESS FARVE, nobody ever told him he had to only throw off his back foot ,no side arm and 2 dozen interceptions will put him down the road. When your team wins more than they lose ,most people are happy.
bsoukup

Rockford, IL

#26 Dec 27, 2008
move brown to linebacker or is he too small
Mike

Palatine, IL

#27 Dec 27, 2008
The bears have so many other needs, why add safety to that list? You can't put a dollar amount on what Brown brings to the team. He's like the Kerry Wood of the Bears, so much early potential, oft-injured, but never once lashed out at anyone or felt sorry for himself. Instead Brown came back year after year, rehab after rehab, and tried to lead this team. You never let a guy like that go, especially in this era of modern sports.
South Florida Fan

AOL

#28 Dec 27, 2008
He'll make a helluva coach.
Hardliner

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Dec 27, 2008
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Angelo saved so much money paying $200 million to defensive players the past two seasons.
I never said he was smart. That just adds insult to injury and is one more reason he should be shown the door.
Nate

United States

#30 Dec 27, 2008
Florida Jim wrote:
Perhaps he should be a coach? Mike Brown is too fragile to be counted on as a player.
Every year the Bears have counted on him he has been hurt and they were unprepared to replace him adequately.
A player who is undependable is no player for me.
When you restructure a player's contract to give him less money and only sign him for one year you are not counting on him. This is a simple matter of risk reward. He's costing you almost nothing and you know that when he can stay on the field he's a very solid player. The Bears got a lot of productivity out of Brown this year and he started all but 1 game in the regular season. They should (and probably will) do the same thing again next year.
1bearsfan

United States

#31 Dec 27, 2008
Mike Brown,what a great example of a True Bear! Not only is he very talented,but he is a great emotional leader on Defense! We should be able to sign him relatively cheap. So we should definitely re-sign him for next year. We need to focus on the Safety position in the draft or free agency. I would like to see more of Steltz. To see how well he can play in the secondary,or not. Steltz has a big challenge this week with the Texans. Our game VS the Texans can be a good Tune-up game for us heading into the Playoffs. I agree that Kevin Payne is more suited for the strong safety position. It is too soon to anoint Mike Brown a coach at this point. But I agree he should pursue being a coach & hopefully with the Bears! After he retires we can start grooming him to coach on our defense. I was glad to see him make it for 15 games this year! Hopefully the Vikings will stay true to form and Choke again as usual!! Hopefully our Bears win Big in Houston & take momentum into the postseason. I believe we will be in the post season. The Vikings can soak in their Tears & Sorrows and watch the Bears in the Playoffs. Take care Fellow Bear Fans. BEAR DOWN!! GO BEARS,2008 DIVISION CHAMPS!! WE BELIEVE!!
sweet34

Pleasanton, CA

#32 Dec 27, 2008
Kepp Mike Brown no matter what ... get a 10th year out of him. Regardless the outcome, I'd rather him unless it's some stud we get to replace him....

Minn Fans, a little nervous are ya .... you should be.
but don;t worry your players steriods haven't warn off yet.
firefly

New Berlin, WI

#33 Dec 27, 2008
read recently that bears 2002 draft pick marc colombo got a contract extension from the cowboys. this comes after having been cut by the bares in 06. bill parcells the coach wanted marc and told him to tkae a year off away from football and heal. he did and was rewarded with a contract.

maybe jerry could put his hurt kids on ir for a year and let them get healthy. you know jerrys kids, dusty, mike and tommie. they need time to heal. unfortunately the bares may not be deep enough to allow that to happen.
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#34 Dec 27, 2008
Tillman sliding over FS, ala Ronnie Lott/Troy Vincent/Bobbie Taylor.

Since: Jun 08

United States

#35 Dec 27, 2008
ldc wrote:
If they can sign him cheap, bring him back.
But they need to seriously address the safety spot, and early, if not the first-round.
They should also finally move Tillman, a good corner would would be an outstanding safety.
One last point...
Every time Mike Brown gets injured just reminds me of the stupidity of trading Chris Harris and keeping Brandon "I had a good game against Pittsburgh three years ago" McGowan.
Your idea about Tillman is interesting. As fans, I suspect that we tend to think that switching positions is not as difficult as it probably is to do, but it would seem like Tillman would make an excellent safety. Does anyone know if the Bears have actually considered moving Tillman to safety?
homer

Britton, MI

#36 Dec 28, 2008
How can you focus on Mike Brown and completely miss the improvement in the Bears Defense and record since his move to strong safety? How can you miss the hazard of injury prone brown playing this position in the cover 2. This is the defense that turns an all pro middle linebacker into an irrelevant safety and turns an njury plagued safety into a undersized linebacker. Great scheme Huh? Way to use your personal to marginalize your most talented players and expose your less than stellar players to repeated beatings. Great defense, great coaching, not. This is a team that should be better, but can't get coached out of its own way. Cover that 2 Haugh!
Cbears22

Buffalo Grove, IL

#37 Dec 28, 2008
Brown should be re-signed to two years, close to minimum value, and have incentives like he did this year. I would love to see him back and hope this happens. I will be very disappointed if we let him walk.
Bill

Warrenville, IL

#38 Dec 28, 2008

Imagine the team that we would have if ALL the Bears played with the intensity of a Mike Brown and a Matt Forte.

We should be thankful for ANY amount of games played at Brown's level.

WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#39 Dec 28, 2008
Are you seriously trying to measure one of the oldest football franchises to these also-rans, including all those expansion teams? The Bills have teen to four SBs, no mean feat. How many have the Bears been to?
Rich wrote:
We seem to feel bad that our team don't win the Super Bowl evey year, Feel the pain of these guys---Teams that have never won a Super Bowl:
Buffalo Bills,
Cincinnati Bengals,
Cleveland Browns,
Houston Texans,
Jacksonville Jaguars,
Tennessee Titans,
San Diego Chargers,
Philadelphia Eagles,
Detroit Lions,
Minnesota Vikings,
Atlanta Falcons,
Carolina Panthers,
New Orleans Saints,
Arizona Cardinals,
and the Seattle Seahawks.
sweet34

Pleasanton, CA

#40 Jan 8, 2009
WrecksAlwaysSux wrote:
Are you seriously trying to measure one of the oldest football franchises to these also-rans, including all those expansion teams? The Bills have teen to four SBs, no mean feat. How many have the Bears been to?
<quoted text>
TWO SB's 1985 2006 ....
and before that we went to many NFL CHampionship
games, and won a few of those in time.

what are ya talking?
the guy was just saying, don;t feel too bad ..

give 'em a break man.
you're reading much too much into it...

Only the NYG have more Championships than the Bears. So, what are we talking?

And i do not want to hear any off this stuff
it was a 12 team league way back etc, it is what it is, and if we won, it's a championship. if someone can't handle those facts, go live in your world, seems to suit you fine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Now Grossman knows what not to do (Jan '06) Feb '17 RexPhartings 2
News Bear Vs. Panther: Who Would Win In Nature? (Jan '06) Jun '15 Fart news 22
News Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
News Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
News Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
News All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
News Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
More from around the web