Brown down but not out of picture

Brown down but not out of picture

There are 40 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 26, 2008, titled Brown down but not out of picture. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It was hard to argue with an exasperated Jerry Angelo in January at Halas Hall when he wondered aloud, "How am I going to count on Mike Brown ?" Some inside the Bears organization will ask that same question ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ABC

Cicero, IL

#1 Dec 26, 2008
BRING BROWN BACK!!!

“The quo has no status”

Since: Oct 08

Glen Ellyn, IL

#2 Dec 26, 2008
Mike Brown is the kind of player that you bring back no matter what. If the Bears haven't been grooming him for a future coaching position, they are VERY short-sighted. Brown is the kind of hair-on-fire player that I spend my hard earned season ticket money to see. Too many players think they have to take it easy to extend their careers. I don't think Brown has that "off" switch. Yes, the last few seasons' injuries are disheartening. But that only magnifies the intangibles he brings with him to the locker room and the field. I'm not saying the Bears should break the bank to re-sign him. But if it takes a little more money than a comparable player, fork it out.
Mel

United States

#3 Dec 26, 2008
Mike Brown should get 1 more year then he should take over Bob Babich's job as Bears' defensive coordinator.
Reason

United States

#4 Dec 26, 2008
I like Mel's idea, but make him defensive coordinator now.

Since: Jun 08

United States

#5 Dec 26, 2008
I have always thought that Mike Brown (when healthy) was the best player on the team, but it would be foolish to make any decisions about him before determining whether he is healthy enough to be a benefit to the team. He has lost a few steps, but we do not know how many. Look at him objectively without letting our feelings about him get in the way of an accurate assessment. All of the fans can speculate about whether we should keep him, but none of us know the full details of his fitness to play.
Bleed Cubbie blue

United States

#6 Dec 26, 2008
It's just sad to see a player like Brown suffer mightily with injuries. He's such a hard worker, and you can tell that it kills him whenever he gets knocked out. I really don't want him to leave, but don't know if Angelo will bring him back.

I wouldn't at all be opposed to him being the DC.
sam

Winnetka, CA

#7 Dec 27, 2008
oh no I am sure they are 4 and 1 because of your boy Kyle Orton.
Rob

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 27, 2008
He should ALWAYS be a Bear! If not as a player, then a coach. His honest asessment of defensive play, plus his fiery attitude would be the biggest improvement the Bears could make. He knows what works and what doesn't which is more than Babich has proven.
Wooly Bully

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Dec 27, 2008
Great player when healthy - which he hasn't been for about 40 years.....
ldc

New Bloomfield, PA

#10 Dec 27, 2008
Whatever.

If they can sign him cheap, bring him back.

But they need to seriously address the safety spot, and early, if not the first-round.

They should also finally move Tillman, a good corner would would be an outstanding safety.

One last point...

Every time Mike Brown gets injured just reminds me of the stupidity of trading Chris Harris and keeping Brandon "I had a good game against Pittsburgh three years ago" McGowan.
DagoT

United States

#11 Dec 27, 2008
Put him on the coaching staff. Don't let ANOTHER sharp player leave the organization to ply his skills elsewhere (Frazier, Singletary, Fisher, Rivera ...)
Greg

Chicago, IL

#12 Dec 27, 2008
DagoT wrote:
Put him on the coaching staff. Don't let ANOTHER sharp player leave the organization to ply his skills elsewhere (Frazier, Singletary, Fisher, Rivera ...)
...Richie Petitbon, Earl Leggett.
Hardliner

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Dec 27, 2008
Every year it is the same story with Mike Brown, not a matter of if he gets knocked out for the year but a matter of when he gets knocked out for the year. This year the Bears got lucky he actually made it through 15 games and since they are going to lose to Houston and miss the playoffs anyway it's no big deal.
Hardliner

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Dec 27, 2008
The one thing you can count on from Jerry Angelo's teams is that many of his top picks and starters will spend more time on the DL than on the field. Angelo is a pretender and will never bring a Super Bowl title to Chicago. He will however continue to save the McCaskeys big bucks and I guess at the end of the day the McCaskeys making money is what this is all about anyway so Jerry Angelo for executive of the year!
allchifan

United States

#15 Dec 27, 2008
Brown is one of our emotional leaders...Urlacher is slacking off in intensity and performance..resigning at least brings back some leadership that the underperforming Bears need...his comments turned this team's focus to being what they could be, not what they used to be...I am a fan of Brown and would like to see him back...but it will be wise to plan for an alternative player or two...
Chris R

United States

#16 Dec 27, 2008
Hardliner is right. Talk about short-sighted....

Mark Columbo just signed a 4 year deal with Dallas. The Bears sure could use O-line help right now. The Bears gave up on him too soon - that was a really severe injury he had. They will probably give up on Brown, too, He will be a free agent somewhere and he'll stick with that team to begin his coaching career. This will happen because the current regime doesn't want pressure on Babich (and ultimately Lovie) because of an upstart coach who calls things as he sees them. If they did, Ron Rivera would still be here, too.
Bill

Joliet, IL

#17 Dec 27, 2008
sam wrote:
oh no I am sure they are 4 and 1 because of your boy Kyle Orton.

Sam,

Your homosexuality is showing again.

John

Rockford, IL

#18 Dec 27, 2008
Chris R wrote:
Hardliner is right. Talk about short-sighted....
Mark Columbo just signed a 4 year deal with Dallas. The Bears sure could use O-line help right now. The Bears gave up on him too soon - that was a really severe injury he had. They will probably give up on Brown, too, He will be a free agent somewhere and he'll stick with that team to begin his coaching career. This will happen because the current regime doesn't want pressure on Babich (and ultimately Lovie) because of an upstart coach who calls things as he sees them. If they did, Ron Rivera would still be here, too.
Hello Chris R. Hardliner is criticizing the fact that Mike Brown is still on the team.

I thought you should know that before you start jumping up and down eager to agree with him.
John

Rockford, IL

#19 Dec 27, 2008
Hardliner wrote:
The one thing you can count on from Jerry Angelo's teams is that many of his top picks and starters will spend more time on the DL than on the field. Angelo is a pretender and will never bring a Super Bowl title to Chicago. He will however continue to save the McCaskeys big bucks and I guess at the end of the day the McCaskeys making money is what this is all about anyway so Jerry Angelo for executive of the year!
Yes, Angelo saved so much money paying $200 million to defensive players the past two seasons.
Florida Jim

Altamonte Springs, FL

#20 Dec 27, 2008
Perhaps he should be a coach? Mike Brown is too fragile to be counted on as a player.
Every year the Bears have counted on him he has been hurt and they were unprepared to replace him adequately.
A player who is undependable is no player for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bear Vs. Panther: Who Would Win In Nature? (Jan '06) Jun '15 Fart news 22
News Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
News Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
News Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
News All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
News Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
News Free agent Darren Sharper still considering Bears (Mar '09) Mar '10 skins fan 49
More from around the web