Dissecting the good and bad in Bears'...

Dissecting the good and bad in Bears' critical victory

There are 17 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 12, 2008, titled Dissecting the good and bad in Bears' critical victory. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Lovie Smith didn't necessarily like returning to the lectern to answer one final question after he had begun to step away late Thursday night to celebrate the Bears' 27-24 important overtime victory over the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Mike Ditka Joke

Denver, CO

#1 Dec 12, 2008
This is a horrible view on football and coaching This is purely plays made vs plays defended. Come on write something worth reading.
MDodd

San Antonio, TX

#2 Dec 12, 2008
I don't understand you guys sometimes....I've read both Haugh and Morrissey both say that Lovie going for the fake punt meant he "had no faith in his defense". On the contrary, taking a risk with a fake punt on 4th down at that yard marker shows TREMENDOUS faith in his defense. If he was scared he defense couldn't stop them, he'd punt to give the Saints the longest field possible. It was a risky call that didn't go our way, but the Bears have made plenty of risky special team calls that have went their way. You only make a call like that if you have confidence in your defense in case it doesn't go as planned. I'm surprised that 2 of the Trib's writers both see it completely wrong and have come up with the idea that all of a sudden Lovie thinks his defense can't play. It's not rocket science.
Obawmah 08

United States

#3 Dec 12, 2008
Disectioning bares is wrowng. Yu peple's ar krual basturds.
sam

Winnetka, CA

#4 Dec 13, 2008
another dink and dunk performance by orton.why is it that every one in chicago and even the national media is convinced that because of cold wether conditions in chicago all the bears need in a QB is a game manager and some one who does not loose the game. why has the bar for QBs been so low in chicago for so long.has any one heard of Favre,Elway,Phil Simms and even Eli Manning who all had to play in cold weather cities.

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#5 Dec 13, 2008
So so article, could have been more harsh towards Lovie; but I love the.... Nobody tries to lose. But coaching decisions in games this meaningful demand scrutiny and explanations from coaches paid $4.5 million per year....this Lovie is so NOT a good coach, Bears will NEVER win anything with this buffoon, but they have a buffoon GM too. So NOT much will chnage until the McCaskey's wake up out of their coma.
butkus dick

Galesburg, IL

#6 Dec 13, 2008
i usually agree with what haugh has to say about the bears - he is fair and objective and no homer - but i have to disagree with all three points here.
No. 1 - nothing wrong with the call to go for it on the fake punt. maynard did his part but peterson drops the ball. if he catches, conservative lovie and turner are praised all week for their daring call.
No. 2 - the way you run out the clock is to get first downs. the bears felt their best option to accomplish this - with forte injured - was to pass. orton messes that up with a dumb throw.
No. 3 - 3 yard loss by taking a knee would have been a big deal if the kick was moved back from say the 48 to the 51, but from the 32 to the 35 meant knothing with gould kicking.
Bubba

Stillmore, GA

#7 Dec 13, 2008
I second what "butkus dick" says...
Bubba

Stillmore, GA

#8 Dec 13, 2008
I second what "butkus dick" said...
BearsFan2

Bradenton, FL

#9 Dec 13, 2008
Orton, Orton, Orton. You know what about Orton.....it's a good thing the Saints tackled him when they did on the last play in regulation instead of letting him run another 4 yards and then tackled him. If they had done that, time would have run out with Orton blowing it big time.

It sure is nice when a QB can at least get a pass interference call to "complete a big one" to help win a game. Even when he has thrown a few picks earlier. In case anyone forgot, that's how we won with Grossman.

But go ahead Chicago, keep this guy in the fold. Truth of the matter is, we will never get back to a Super Bowl with him as our QB. He doesn't have what it takes to beat play-off teams in January. Grossman did, and he will again for someone else.

Wait and see.
Rich

Hays, KS

#10 Dec 13, 2008
Nobody tries to lose. But coaching decisions in games this meaningful demand scrutiny and explanations from coaches paid $4.5 million per year.
BY WHO?? surely not by you or any of us. And whats the difference between a 32 and a 35 yd kick . Think he miss a straight on from that distance. God forbid he he ever try a 45 yarder from an angle.
Steve Nelson - Lakeview

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 13, 2008
I could not agree more with David Haugh's comment's regarding Lovie Smith's coaching decisions in games. HIs tactical decisions demand scrutiny and explanations for man earning $4.5 million per year. Coach Smith's decisions have been questionable all season, If you can not take the heat and scrutiny, step down and allow a more credible coach to provide the answers.
Rocket Man

Ithaca, NY

#12 Dec 13, 2008
Actually, the two passes the Bears tried with 5-plus minutes to go were a good call, just poor execution. The Saints had the box stacked to stop the run plus with Forte hurting, it made sense to try a pass or two. If there were only three-plus minutes to go, then yes, run the ball.

While the Bears say they come off the bus running, in actuality, they are a better team when they complete short passes that essentially are like running plays. Everyone is shit-hot about Forte but the bottom line is that you also need a fast running back to team up with a back like Forte. The Bears still lack that type of threat, along very few threats in the passing game.
REM

Whiteland, IN

#13 Dec 13, 2008
Don't agree with the analysis - good teams pass the ball late in the game to get first downs and run out the clock. The alternative was three plunges and a punt, with Forte hurting. Play calling was not the problem, execution was. The Bears horrible wide receivers hamper the passing game's ability to put teams away when they have the lead.
RHURLEY49

Sioux Falls, SD

#14 Dec 13, 2008
The biggest mistake the BEARS made was before the season when they decided on a dink and dunk offense and promoted a third string QB to starter status. Orton just sucks!
1bearsfan

United States

#15 Dec 13, 2008
So IL Bruno wrote:
So so article, could have been more harsh towards Lovie; but I love the.... Nobody tries to lose. But coaching decisions in games this meaningful demand scrutiny and explanations from coaches paid $4.5 million per year....this Lovie is so NOT a good coach, Bears will NEVER win anything with this buffoon, but they have a buffoon GM too. So NOT much will chnage until the McCaskey's wake up out of their coma.
You said We will never win anything with Lovie?? Where the He11 have you been?? How long have you been a fan 12 months? I have been a Die Hard Bear Fan for 40 years! Lovie is one of the most winningest coaches we have had.He took us to our only Super bowl in over 20 years! 2 Division titles(maybe a 3rd this year).We are 8-6 so far with a chance for the Division & the Playoffs.We are way Overachieving from the 3-4 wins everyone said we would have this year! So Lovie is a terrible Coach?? Not only are you not a Bear fan obviously,but you are also an Idiot! Lovie has made some bad decisions,but what Fricking coach doesnt?? You have to look at the overall picture on coaching,Not just a handful of calls here or there.Lovie has done well without any super star players either! I agree Babich and Turner have disappointed.And I am sure they will be dealt with After the season.Angelo controls everything on final decisions?? Take care. BEAR DOWN!! GO BEARS,2008 DIVISION CHAMPS!! WE BELIEVE!!

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#17 Dec 15, 2008
1bearsfan wrote:
<quoted text>
You said We will never win anything with Lovie?? Where the He11 have you been?? How long have you been a fan 12 months? I have been a Die Hard Bear Fan for 40 years! Lovie is one of the most winningest coaches we have had.He took us to our only Super bowl in over 20 years! 2 Division titles(maybe a 3rd this year).We are 8-6 so far with a chance for the Division & the Playoffs.We are way Overachieving from the 3-4 wins everyone said we would have this year! So Lovie is a terrible Coach?? Not only are you not a Bear fan obviously,but you are also an Idiot! Lovie has made some bad decisions,but what Fricking coach doesnt?? You have to look at the overall picture on coaching,Not just a handful of calls here or there.Lovie has done well without any super star players either! I agree Babich and Turner have disappointed.And I am sure they will be dealt with After the season.Angelo controls everything on final decisions?? Take care. BEAR DOWN!! GO BEARS,2008 DIVISION CHAMPS!! WE BELIEVE!!
You mean you have been dou-che bag for 40 years. You are the typical Bear meathead that drives me crazy. You are the only loon on this blog who actually believes Lovie is a good coach. I was at the Super Bowl in Miami dou-che. Lovie and Grossman lost that game. Grossman with his bad play and Lovie with the bad coaching. I could have had that team more prepared. But Lovie isn't interested in being a good coach, he wants his players to like him and ask him to come to their kids parties. You are NOT #1 Bear fan, you insult the rest of us who know what the hell is going on. You are #1 collossal idiot. Oh by the way, Lovie's Bears will miss the playoffs for the 2nd straight year and you'll be the loon who will say he did a great job and Angelo should give him yet another extension....and I'm looking at the calendar and saying, its been 23 years since we won anything. The goal is the SB trophy, ANYTHING ELSE IS LOSING. Loser.
BearsFan2

Bradenton, FL

#18 Dec 16, 2008
RHURLEY49 wrote:
The biggest mistake the BEARS made was before the season when they decided on a dink and dunk offense and promoted a third string QB to starter status. Orton just sucks!
And that's why the let Berrian go. They knew he was going to feel the same way you do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Now Grossman knows what not to do (Jan '06) Feb '17 RexPhartings 2
News Bear Vs. Panther: Who Would Win In Nature? (Jan '06) Jun '15 Fart news 22
News Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
News Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
News Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
News All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
News Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
More from around the web