Past time for some tough Lovie

Past time for some tough Lovie

There are 127 comments on the ChicagoSports.com story from Aug 24, 2008, titled Past time for some tough Lovie. In it, ChicagoSports.com reports that:

Is this how Lovie Smith wants to go out? As friend to the players? As the Great Enabler? Does he want his professional tombstone to read: He got off the bus refusing to throw anybody under the bus? If Smith ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ChicagoSports.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jim in Green Bay

Watertown, WI

#1 Aug 24, 2008
Good column. Babich is in over his head and Lovie will be looking for another job in a year or two if he doesn't put some fear into the entire team. Lance Briggs stands on the sideline and laughs and giggles like a little girl even after the defense was throttled by the 49ers. Now there's a real pro. Time to pick it up boys and start playing with some pride.
Now Wait a Minute

Harvey, IL

#2 Aug 24, 2008
Actually, it's a matching set- Angelo and Smith.
Smith never has a sense of urgency while Angelo would rather dicker in negotiating with the players who have earned the right that leaves bad blood.
I hope that Lance Briggs plays as well as his confidence because he has been awol in effort during the exhibition games. Or is it the Babich schemes? I'd like to know.
And Hillenmeyer looks like he has gotten old real fast.
And Urlacher seems to be directing traffic rather than policing it.
The same goes for Tommie Harris and Mike Brown.
I hope these guys are capable of going all out once it counts.
Walter Butch Brzeski

AOL

#3 Aug 24, 2008
I think Lovie's biggest problem is he's too loyal and will not come too hard on 'his' defenee, not Bob Babich's defense. When Ron Rivera was here, it was Rivera's defense more than it was Lovie's/

Also, tackling, pursuit, and playing behind the other team's line is a problem.

I agree 100% with the fans that are asking why the Bears don't tackle in practice. How can you learn how to tackle if you don't practice it?

And, it's just not tackling it's getting low & under control in good football position and then taking a good angle at the guy or towards where the guy is running to. Also, the Bears must not practice any kind of pursuit drills as when guys get going, there's any 1-2 guys with a shot at pulling him down.

Though, another problem is I see is the Bears defense being too complacent and little compeition at spots is the problem. Urlacher, Briggs, Hillenmeyer, Harris, Ogunlete, A, Brown, M, Brown, Vashar, and Tillman have been 'all-but' guaranteed their starting spots prior to the start of camp. So, this leaves only the free safety and (1) defensive tackle spot open for a competition.

Lovie talks about wanting players to compete. Ha!

The only spots open for any competition are the backup positions, nickel back, on special teams, on practice squad, and on IR.

Get real Lovie, you have to allow people to have a chance to compete, though, big salaries forces a team to guarantee spots to players.

Lovie, tell Angelo to start signing guys to incentive based contracts with low guaranted money and things will be different.
gman

Chicago, IL

#5 Aug 24, 2008
All these millionaires players and coaches are full of it. Make the rookies work at McDonalds the spring before training camp and then see how their work ethic improves. Make em take out the garbage, mop the floors and clean the toilets, and clean the deep fryers. Make them understand that they are being paid millions to play a kids game! Then work the S##T out of them and maybe they will play like Sayers, Butkus, Payton and Singletary. I would kill to play for an NFL and get paid all that money, it ain't brain surgery your teaching in the playbook fellas.
Frank

United States

#7 Aug 24, 2008
Rick,
You are absolutely right. The only good that might come of it is Ron Rivera may be the next Bears head coach.
Loviegump

Newburyport, MA

#8 Aug 24, 2008
Lovie is an idiot...the guy is playing checkers and the rest of the league is playing chess.

We are going to have to live with how many more years of Lovie? The worst part is, as much as they pay him now, there's no way the McCaskeys fire him early.
Bearfan in CA

Fresno, CA

#9 Aug 24, 2008
Same story David Haugh wrote yesterday, and quess what, Morrissey is as wrong as Haugh, at this level the players don't need pep talks. Come up with something original Morrissey.
Steve from the NW burbs

Des Plaines, IL

#10 Aug 24, 2008
Loviegump wrote:
Lovie is an idiot...the guy is playing checkers and the rest of the league is playing chess.
We are going to have to live with how many more years of Lovie? The worst part is, as much as they pay him now, there's no way the McCaskeys fire him early.
Sadly for us Bears fans, it's becoming increasingly apparent that this organization, from The McKaskeys on down to Smith & his staff are UTTERLY INCOMPETANT!!
ONLY A SALE OF the Bears team to owners who are committed to winning (which includes a COMPLETE housecleaning) is likely to turn them around!!
iwafannin73

Channahon, IL

#11 Aug 24, 2008
You are right Bearfan in CA. The players don't need pep talks. They need to practice tackling. They need to do anything that resembles what an actual game will be like once the season starts. High school teams in Illinois are having a more legit "training camp" to prepare for the upcoming high school season than the Bears players have put in so far.

Lovie isn't the whole problem. The offensive players that Angelo has acquired for this team would rank no higher than 20 in the NCAA. They have a horrible offensive line. They have horrible wide receivers. They have no legit starting QB. They have mediocre running backs. When the bright spot of your offense is tight end, you are in trouble...look at the Kansas City Chiefs with Tony Gonzalez.

The worst part about Lovie as head coach is his total failure to adapt DURING a game. They make very little adjustments at halftime and almost always get outplayed in the second half. After games when asked what went wrong, Lovie's response is always "we'll have to look at the tape." Look at how he refused to change his scheme in the playoff game against Carolina and Steve Smith single handedly killed them. That isn't the only instance. Legit head coaches can adapt during the game and make decisions based on what is happening game day...not stick with what they planned to do on Wednesday.
Byron

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2008
I think smith will be gone by the end not this yr but the following.
prand15

Detroit, MI

#13 Aug 24, 2008
Lovie this is your defense. You are suppose to be the tampa two guru. Well if your so good, stop trying to protect your friend Babich and start calling plays on D. Or is that beneath you since your a head coach now. Well guess what, If you don't make some changes you won't be a head coach anywhere. Or is it too much work for you, Lovie. What you can't run the defense and be the head coach at the same time? So instead of spending time looking over Ron Turners shoulder(obviously you don't know a lick about Off, because you havn't fired turner yet), you should be schooling your boy Babich on how to call D during a game.
J W Chic

Chicago, IL

#14 Aug 24, 2008
I think that Smith has no spine, he was hired as a yes man and his whole staff are the same. How can any man with any self respect at all get up in the morning and look at himself in the mirror knowing he has not clue one of what he is doing, and be able to face his family Team and the Bears organization everyday and not feel ashamed. Yet he is accepting millions for doing it. This man has no self respect or pride, A coach like that should of never been hired on as a Bears Coach.

It all stems from Jerry Angelo and his failed chemistery experiment. It was a mistake to extend their contracts in the first place. A 2006 SuperBowl apperarance; "so what" it was a loss. They did not have the horses or the stones to bring it home. If Rivera was still here the D wouldn't have to brag about how good they are "every one would know how good they ARE". Babich could go play in his Babich patch with lovie and all the rest od the staff. The only decent couch is Toub of Special Teams.
The Voice of Reason

Charleston, IL

#15 Aug 25, 2008
So as I sit here reading this article and, more over, the comments below (full of mispellings and udderly incompetent remarks) I can't help but to wonder if Rick Morrissey has ever played a sport in his life? Come on Rick?? Let me know... Players won't play for a coach they can't relate too. You criticize Lovie for 'shielding' his players from the media circus and not letting them live-tackle in training camp???
Pop quiz hot shot: how many nfl teams actually tackle live in training camp?
I'm tired of hearing the same stories told over and over again on the "demise" of the bears defense...
Every team and every defense has a bad outting. No matter how good things look, they are never that great (ask 07 New England), and how bad things may appear they are never that dismal. The bears defense is full of professionals who know how to get the job done (and if you need proof check the frequent flyer miles to hawii). The defensive line will start to produce as the rotation becomes more solid and the linebackers and defensive backs will gain consistency once they clock more game time.
I'm not saying this is the 85 bears... it may not even be the 06 bears, but the defense will be dominate and once Rex gets his shot again (because it will happen) and lights it up we'll make some noise in the playoffs.
The last thing Lovie needs to worry about is job security... 2 soon to be 3 division championships in 5 years....I'll take that
Tom

Huachuca City, AZ

#16 Aug 25, 2008
I think you are correct Rick. I was very happy when the Bears hired Lovie, but it has become clear that he is not a very good head coach. These players need to be told that if they do not perform they will be out on their rears. Instead they are coddled.

As far as all the injuries go, not all of that is bad luck. Some of it may be poor work habits on the part of players. Even as a high school athlete you learn that the first guys to get hurt are often the guys who don't condition properly. Again, that is on the coaches.

I think the Bears made a big mistake paying Lovie what they did. He immediately got rid of Rivera and went to the buddy system. It was bad for the team and I think all of the fans knew it.

I hope they will consider Rivera when Lovie goes. I just hope the league office does not interfere with the Bears hiring an ex-Bear, instead of someone the league wants to see get the job.
Chris R

United States

#17 Aug 25, 2008
It is said that "you play how you practce". With the patty-cake sessions the Bears call practice, this comes as no surprise. I'm afraid that 7-9 last season will look good against what happens this year - these babies will wind up at 4-12 with no end in sight.
Vic

Gastonia, NC

#18 Aug 25, 2008
"We'll give Babich a little more time."

WHY?

Wasn't last year more than enough! Sorry, Babich, but I'm ready to lay the blame directly at your feet, NOW!
Big Bob in SC

Boiling Springs, SC

#19 Aug 25, 2008
Agree 100%.
I've always said (in spite of the SB appearance (or disappearance)) that Lovie played NOT to lose. It also seems that his constant comment "he's our starter" is the kiss of death. Been a Bears fan for more than 70 years and They STINK.
Brandon

Baltimore, MD

#20 Aug 25, 2008
We will never know how good the 2006 defense could have been with Mike Brown going down in the 6th game and Tommie Harris going down against Minnesota. How good would the '85 defense have been if Fencik and Hampton went down?

I think we need to wait until the season starts to throw Lovie under the bus. It's obvious this verteran unit couldn't care less about the pre season. All they want is to go to Indy in one piece.
allchifan

Dayton, OH

#21 Aug 25, 2008
Lovie is just plain stupid along with Angelo, Babich and Turner. We have become a laughing stock in just three short years. Fire the entire management team now....I am embarrassed.....
Bumsteer

South Elgin, IL

#22 Aug 25, 2008
They have tons of talent on defense, just look at their contracts. Fact of the matter is most of these guys have gotten big deals in the past couple years and they're set for life. They're not hungry anymore. Even Urlacher, who's clearly on the down hill side of his career, convinces the Bear's to shell out more so he can keep making those support payments. Only special athletes step up their game after getting the big contract until its time again for a new one. They can all talk about their real estate deals and Lamborghinis in between getting pancaked.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blake Bortles' Confidence and Poise Prove the J... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Empty Gatorade Bo... 7
News Jaguars players mentor top HS recruit Kevin Tol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 SwampHumpers 1
News Jaguars notebook: Coaches, players pleased with... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jax MeOff 1
News All 10 members of NFL ownersa labour committee ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 LOL 1
News Crew hired to prevent forest fire in La Canada ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 FIREMAN 1
News Free agent Darren Sharper still considering Bears (Mar '09) Mar '10 skins fan 49
News LA foothill suburbs dig out after mudslides (Feb '10) Feb '10 go go golphers 1
More from around the web