browns drop ball

browns drop ball

There are 38 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Dec 24, 2007, titled browns drop ball. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

BEREA: Well, as Stanley once said to Oliver, this is another fine mess you've gotten us into, Ollie.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Neon of Shades

Perry Point, MD

#22 Dec 25, 2007
Ernest Byner wrote:
I hope and pray the Browns don't make it to the playoffs so that the front office will be realistic about Anderson (once and always a journeyman QB who is prone to picks in big games...let's not forget his 2nd half performance against Pittsburgh this year) and let Brady Quinn have a chance with this offense. Also, perhaps Crennel will get fired which is going to happen sooner or later. This team is going nowhere in the playoffs so let's get it over with now and on to next year.
Regarding the Steelers, they also are going nowhere. They are the most overrated team in the NFL and especially without Willie Parker will not get out of the first round. So Steeler fans can brag on this list all they want (why are they on this list?) but deep down they know the truth just as Mike Tomlin said. This team is not playing very good football.
Why dosen't this season still matter? Why is everyone talking about Brady when we can still get in the playoffs? Many people don't care about the Browns but you should. I'd rather get in just see what happens even if we don't go very far
steeler geo

Massillon, OH

#23 Dec 25, 2007
here we go steelers here we go..you loser ass browns fan make me laugh...i cant believe you guys even take the time to type out your nonsense..

here we go steelers...one for the other hand
tmurda2240

Strongsville, OH

#25 Dec 25, 2007
As much as DA has done, He's done it against a very favorable schedule. DA has played well in maybe 5 or 6 games. The other games he has either been bad or mediocre. But he is the QB so he gets the credit for us being 9-6 so far this year and a chance to make the playoffs. But make no mistake, if Brady Quinn outplays him in training camp and preseason, the job is his. BUT, if DA learns the short throws and gets his timing improved(its insane how many of his throws are behind his receivers)he'll keep the job. Also though, if we can get a high first and third to improve this woeful defense, DA is gone. Oh yea, DA's completion percentage is a problem as well, i believe it is in the mid/high 50s. Quinn has more weapons as a qb imho.
Frank Minnefield

Fairview, PA

#26 Dec 25, 2007
Doesn't really matter now? It doesn't matter if Indianapolis wins or not. The Browns can't limp into the playoffs with no-confidence. It looks like the Patriots are going to win it all anyway. I know that the head coach and the rest of the coaches need to take a lot of this blame along with Anderson. Sure, he had a bad game. So does Brett Favre every now and then.

Since: Sep 07

Fairview, PA

#27 Dec 25, 2007
Realist wrote:
That may be true, but it's sure sweet to read AGAIN about the pathetic clowns loss.
And, the even more pathetic loser fans.
FACE IT, cleveland will never have a team that wins
it's final championship game.(The sweep, The choke; and so it goes.)
how sweet is it when you your boyfriend choke each other or sweep each other under your covers? Get out of our newspaper!

Fairview, PA

#28 Dec 25, 2007
steeler geo wrote:
here we go steelers here we go..you loser ass browns fan make me laugh...i cant believe you guys even take the time to type out your nonsense..
here we go steelers...one for the other hand
I've got one for your other hand. Do you really think you're going anywhere this year? Go Patriots go Patriots! Poor Willie Parker he broke his leg. Davenport coughs up the ball more than any running back that's why Green Bay got rid of him. Ha ha.

Fairview, PA

#29 Dec 25, 2007
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe that I told any of you lame clowns fans that I support the Steelers. Fact is, I'm not a sports fan at all. Just pissed that cleveland spent all that money (over 1/2 BILLION) on teams that won't (can't) win any final championship.
And face the FACTS, despite being told that new stadiums would revitalize cleveland, explain why it's one of the POOREST cities in the country.
(That excludes Fat Cat owners & players)
Their laughing at you losers all the way to the bank.
go play golf H.o2M.0.
John Zampino

Hobbs, NM

#30 Dec 25, 2007
Why did the Browns quit running the ball? That's the burning question!!!
shawn

North Royalton, OH

#31 Dec 25, 2007
What the hell kind of losers care enough about a sports team to bother trolling a rival sports teams news article? Get a life.
Realist

Hubbard, OH

#32 Dec 26, 2007
Holiday Jerk wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I am ticked that all that money was spent on a stupid football stadium that's used MAYBE a dozen times a calendar year?? ANd about a year ago, there was some talk about adding a dome to it. Of course, it would only cost a few hundred million dollars. Just another scam of the Mike White administration.
<quoted text>
It seems that facts are not your strong point. The new stadiums were not stated as revitalizing Cleveland. Cleveland was not hurting over a decade ago. One thing Gateway did was revitalize several blocks of run down, dilapidated structures (remember the Central Market)??
Cleveland is considered one of the poorest cities in the nation for other reasons that have NOTHING to do with their sports teams or stadiums/ballparks.
AND I am not going to explain to you why, educate youself (for a change) yourself.
In Cleveland, for example, the public school system is in receivership, and Mayor Michael White will take control of it -- one day after the Browns' auction. City taxes will pay 58 percent of the cost of a new $280 million, 72,800-seat stadium.
So Cleveland wasn't hurting a decade ago .(Article lifted from a news story prior to building the new stadium.)
Typical loser comment - probably still thinks the clowns will "someday" win the superbowl.

Since: Dec 07

Akron, OH

#33 Dec 26, 2007
Ha!! All the trash talking you Browns fans did last week means nothing!! Now you have to count on another team losing to make the playoffs. Meanwhile the Steelers clinch the AFC north and become the #4 seed!!! Go Steelers!!!!!!! Not bad for a first year with a new head coach.

Since: Nov 07

Dayton, OH

#34 Dec 26, 2007
Rocky Colavito wrote:
<quoted text> I've got one for your other hand. Do you really think you're going anywhere this year? Go Patriots go Patriots! Poor Willie Parker he broke his leg. Davenport coughs up the ball more than any running back that's why Green Bay got rid of him. Ha ha.
Haha. What a pathetic Clowns fan! You cheer for the Patriots! I know where the Steelers are going! To the playoffs! You Clowns are only praying you make it!

GO STEELERS!
Ken

Berea, KY

#35 Dec 26, 2007
All we can do is root for the Colts...But oh how I would wish Tennesee had to play a Belichick coached team.....because he ALWAYS plays to win.....not like Dungy who plays to rest and relax!!!
Chico

Coraopolis, PA

#36 Dec 26, 2007
When the first sentence of your article is 100% wrong why should anyone give any creedence to the rest of your story? Who knows what other facts you have wrong?
rufus

Raleigh, NC

#37 Dec 26, 2007
all i want for christmas is a brady quinn.

Since: Aug 07

Jackson Twp.

#38 Dec 26, 2007
"There have been two games Anderson played when he looked tight: at Pittsburgh (especially in the second half) and at Cincinnati."

Not nearly true.

In the second half of the most recent BALT game, DA had exactly one TD 'drive'- for a whopping 11 yds (thanks to a Cribbs' generous field position gift). He went 3-and-out on 4 of the other 6 'drives' in that same second half. During that time, when the Browns had the chance to put the game away, BALT took over the lead. Only a 100 yds INT return for a TD by the DEFENSE even allowed the Browns to still be in that game, otherwise they lose. Period.

He also threw 2 picks and was lousy against OAK - the 26th ranked defense in the league. He's a journeyman - a solid second-stringer. Nothing more, nothing less.
Brian

Aurora, OH

#39 Dec 26, 2007
If the Browns do not make the playoffs, it will be because of there defense. The offense did everything they needed to do to get this team to the playoffs. The Defense was the group that was giving up over 20 points a game and not being able to stop anyone.

Since: Aug 07

Jackson Twp.

#40 Dec 26, 2007
Brian wrote:
If the Browns do not make the playoffs, it will be because of there defense. The offense did everything they needed to do to get this team to the playoffs. The Defense was the group that was giving up over 20 points a game and not being able to stop anyone.
There's no question the D needs a lot of help. But if you look at the #2 PITT game and the #2 BALT game closely - you can see that the D was on the field almost the entire second half of both those games. IIRC, the time of poss in the PITT game was something like 38:00 PITT and 22:00 CLE. That's a lot to expect of a defense - to be on the field almost twice as long as the oppponent. Scoring is all about opportunities, and it's the OFFENSE that determines how many opportunities to score the opponent will have simply by how well they themselves control the ball/clock. The defense has no control over that.

Even this last CIN game - the offense gave the Bengals the ball deep in CLE territory twice within two minutes. Yep - you'd like to see the D make a stop there and hold them to a FG, but plain and simple, they shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place. Those were two scoring oppotunities the Bengals should have NEVER had. That lays squarely at the feet of the offense, Derek Anderson in particular.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Adams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preview: Packers vs. Steelers (Dec '13) Dec '13 Miranda 1
News Offensive Line Question Marks Could Be Bad News... (Jul '13) Jul '13 jpsteeler567 1
News Suspect in stabbing of Steeler captured in Florida (Jun '13) Jun '13 pgh 1
News Pittsburgh Steelers: Familiar Faces Could Lead ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Greg 1
News Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft: How the Rich Ca... (Dec '12) Dec '12 ashamed fan 1
News Unsung Heroes of Pittsburgh Steelers' 2012 Season (Dec '12) Dec '12 John Polvere 1
News Near Full Strength, Timing Couldn't Be Better F... (Dec '12) Dec '12 hammertime 2
More from around the web