ANOTHER Pit Bull Saves child from Snake attack

Posted in the Michael Vick Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Prosecute ALL Animal Abusers”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#1 Jun 20, 2008
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/artic...

When the deadly cottonmouth snake struck out at "her" children, Dixie never hesitated. The dog pushed the children aside, putting her 50-pound body between them and the snake. Dixie saved Frank Humphries, 9, and his 7-year-old twin siblings, Katie and Codi. But the venomous snake inflicted two bites on the face of the 16-month-old dog.

Valerie Humphries of Fayetteville, Ga.,-- the children's mother and Dixie's co-owner -- killed the snake with an ax and rushed the dog to veterinarian Francoise Tyler. "Seeing Dixie's unconscious body in the arms of that doctor was one of the worst things I've ever been through," Humphries said. "Dr. Tyler had to keep her for several days, hooked up to intravenous antibiotics."

Then the vet nominated Dixie for the Hero Dog category in a contest sponsored by the Georgia Veterinary Medical Association. Dixie won over 300 nominated dogs and this month is being inducted into the Georgia Animal Hall of Fame.

Now here comes one of the cheapest writing tricks in the book -- the "O'Henry ending":

Dixie is a pit bull.
Paul

United States

#2 Jul 8, 2008
Rubbish story, and one the sensationalist media seems to be spewing every time a dog and snake come into conflict. Having had and worked with both snakes AND dogs for many years, I can assure that a venomous snake will NOT go out of its way to attack anyone. It will only bite humans if it feels threatened. Dogs however, will attack snakes due to predatory instinct, and in almost all these "dog saves owners from snake" cases, the most certain scenario is the dog was the aggressor to a snake that wanted nothing to do with the dog or person(s).
Anbreen

Santee, CA

#3 Jul 8, 2008
Or, the children annoyed the snake. Kids do that.
Rebecca

Kingston, Jamaica

#4 Jul 8, 2008
exactamente.

“Prosecute ALL Animal Abusers”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#5 Jul 9, 2008
Guess Paul doesn't want to believe eye witness accounts--I guess he knows better than what these people have seen happen with their own eyes!!

Paul must be a snake lover, which is certainly ok. But when people tell the stories about how a dogs saved them from a snakebite, say they see it happen, then I tend to believe them. Myself, I am a dog lover, and have seen many instances where a dog made a great difference in a human's life.
Anbreen

Santee, CA

#6 Jul 9, 2008
JenniferInSC wrote:
Guess Paul doesn't want to believe eye witness accounts--I guess he knows better than what these people have seen happen with their own eyes!!
Paul must be a snake lover, which is certainly ok. But when people tell the stories about how a dogs saved them from a snakebite, say they see it happen, then I tend to believe them. Myself, I am a dog lover, and have seen many instances where a dog made a great difference in a human's life.
And, a number of them involved snaked. The human accidently stepped on the snake. The dog took the bite. I just saw one on TV. The dog survivedm BTW.
New York

Bridgewater, NJ

#7 Jul 10, 2008
Isn't it amazing that people like "Paul" don't want to believe these kind of stories but have absolutely not problem believing the "pit bull attack" stories and half the time the attacking dog in those stories isn't actually a pit bull at all. So many breeds look like pits and because of all the media attention pits are getting it's real easy to say pit bull. Most people don't know their arse from page one when it comes to specific breeds. Stupidity is running rampant where pits are concerned.

“Prosecute ALL Animal Abusers”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#8 Jul 10, 2008
Yep, you're right NY. They can't wait to tell another pit bull attack story, but when they hear a story where a pit bull saves their owners lives, they want to discredit it.

I am coming to love pit bulls more and more. The one in my avatar is a rescue that I found a home for, because I already have 3 dogs and I couldn't keep her. I believe my next dog WILL be a pit bull though.

Fantastic story Anbreen, glad to know the dog survived.

“Prosecute ALL Animal Abusers”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#9 Jul 10, 2008
oops, don't know how that happened, sorry about double post
Rebecca

Kingston, Jamaica

#10 Jul 10, 2008
JenniferInSC wrote:
Yep, you're right NY. They can't wait to tell another pit bull attack story, but when they hear a story where a pit bull saves their owners lives, they want to discredit it.
I am coming to love pit bulls more and more. The one in my avatar is a rescue that I found a home for, because I already have 3 dogs and I couldn't keep her. I believe my next dog WILL be a pit bull though.
Fantastic story Anbreen, glad to know the dog survived.
I can't have a dog right now but I do want a pitbull someday when I can afford to move.
Gulf Coast Texan

Round Rock, TX

#11 Aug 4, 2008
We are experts when it comes to Cottonmouth snakes.. Yes, these snakes will go out of their way to attack humans, animals, anything that invades its perceived territory. Paul, I seriously doubt being from ND you have any contact or first hand experience with this viscious marshland reptile...I too have had my dog take a Cottonmouth strike for me, and I think that Dixie was just doing what she knew to do by instinct-protect her kids....

Good job Dixie
Solomon

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Sep 4, 2008
I believe that michael vick should get put into a dog fighting ring and have all HIS dogs that he trained bite him until he died. I believe this because a dog is a living being just like we are humans are. what if it was your dog that had died? FOR NOTHING. just for being a DOG! I know many of you reading this probably think that i'm harsh and that i'm saying this because i'm a "dog lover". BUT NO. i'm saying it how it is. It was a dog. Dogs have feelings just like us humans do. And dogs understand humans..why cant we understand them? I hope Michael Vick and his family live with misery all his life and i hope he gets hurt just like the dogs got hurt. Is this guy that greedy for money? he was making more than just a few millions..and i am veryyyy thankful that he lost allllll his money!!!!

“Prosecute ALL Animal Abusers”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#13 Sep 8, 2008
Solomon wrote:
I believe that michael vick should get put into a dog fighting ring and have all HIS dogs that he trained bite him until he died. I believe this because a dog is a living being just like we are humans are. what if it was your dog that had died? FOR NOTHING. just for being a DOG! I know many of you reading this probably think that i'm harsh and that i'm saying this because i'm a "dog lover". BUT NO. i'm saying it how it is. It was a dog. Dogs have feelings just like us humans do. And dogs understand humans..why cant we understand them? I hope Michael Vick and his family live with misery all his life and i hope he gets hurt just like the dogs got hurt. Is this guy that greedy for money? he was making more than just a few millions..and i am veryyyy thankful that he lost allllll his money!!!!
Amen, I agree with everything you say here. Nice to have a fresh voice say the same things several of us have been posting here for a year.

I think when Vick gets out of prison, there should be tickets sold to an event at a dome, where Vick must fight the most vicious dog to be found, and if he loses, he should be hung, and cut down just before he is dead. Then stick his head in a bucket of water, and stick a battery cable up his @ss. The money for tickets sold should go to pit bull rescue. That would be justice.
Paul

River Falls, WI

#14 Oct 17, 2008
New York wrote:
Isn't it amazing that people like "Paul" don't want to believe these kind of stories but have absolutely not problem believing the "pit bull attack" stories and half the time the attacking dog in those stories isn't actually a pit bull at all. So many breeds look like pits and because of all the media attention pits are getting it's real easy to say pit bull. Most people don't know their arse from page one when it comes to specific breeds. Stupidity is running rampant where pits are concerned.
What? I have nothing negative to say about Pit Bulls. I'm just saying that dogs are aggressive to smaller animals, and snakes are vilified. The shock of the moment causes great exaggeration. Seeing a beloved pet with a venomous snake can do that. Just like animal size is exaggerated, so is animal attack. You pitbull owners should respect the last bit...or maybe all those pitbull attacks reflect the killer instinct of the dog..
Esther

UK

#15 Oct 22, 2008
I think there have been too many pit bull atack stories to risck owning one with children, but if you dont have a family thats great. And thats not to say that there arnt some perfectly friendly Pit Bulls around that would make great pets. Great story, i believ it 100%!

“Prosecute ALL Animal Abusers”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#16 Oct 22, 2008
Esther wrote:
I think there have been too many pit bull atack stories to risck owning one with children, but if you dont have a family thats great. And thats not to say that there arnt some perfectly friendly Pit Bulls around that would make great pets. Great story, i believ it 100%!
I am a pit bull advocate. I love the dogs, maybe because they are so abused in society today and they are getting such an unfair rap because of that abuse. But I have to agree with you. Unless you KNOW the lineage of any pit pull you take into your home, its best not to have them and children too. Just for point in time in society. If we win this battle to eradicate dog fighting, and they are no longer used for such violent disgusting acts as dog fighting, then pit bulls will enjoy the same affection and trust as they did before these degenerates turned their sadistic sights on this wonderful breed of dog.

Yes, that's why I continue to advocate for the pit bull and hope for reform in regard to laws and animal abuse--Because there ARE wonderful pit bulls in shelters today, just like the dog in this story, who will never have a chance because of a huge group of sadistic people have ruined their reputation.
KCH

United States

#17 Dec 20, 2008
Paul wrote:
Rubbish story, and one the sensationalist media seems to be spewing every time a dog and snake come into conflict. Having had and worked with both snakes AND dogs for many years, I can assure that a venomous snake will NOT go out of its way to attack anyone. It will only bite humans if it feels threatened. Dogs however, will attack snakes due to predatory instinct, and in almost all these "dog saves owners from snake" cases, the most certain scenario is the dog was the aggressor to a snake that wanted nothing to do with the dog or person(s).
okay one guess what I was one of the kids that dog saved so it is not rubbish we don't know why the snake attacked us but it did and my dog almost died! so stop trying to say it is rubbish because obviously you don't knwo enough
KCH

United States

#18 Dec 20, 2008
Esther wrote:
I think there have been too many pit bull atack stories to risck owning one with children, but if you dont have a family thats great. And thats not to say that there arnt some perfectly friendly Pit Bulls around that would make great pets. Great story, i believ it 100%!
all pitbulls are friendly it just depends how the owners raise them. Pitbulls are not cruel because they can be they are cruel because people make them that way. The pitbull in this story MY pitbull she is sweet and thinks she's a lapdog and that's because that is the way we raised her. Dogs are ment to be sweet even a Chiuaua can be cruel if the owner doesn't treat it right.
Rebecca

United States

#19 Dec 20, 2008
Thank you for your kind comments.
kirsty

Sydney, Australia

#20 Jan 28, 2009
Just today my dog attacked a red belly on our driveway where mums daycare kids play.She pulled it out of the garden while the kids were on the varandah while it happened and we got them inside while she had the snake. WE took her to the vet but it didn't get her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Vick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's Email Address (Nov '08) Tue Panther Fan 1,139
vick doesn't run enough Dec 18 Hampton Roads 2
Big moves: Jets sign Vick and release Sanchez (Mar '14) Nov '14 Zack 17
Marcus Vick in custody at Newport News jail (Mar '12) Nov '14 Flatulence Fred 164
Silverman: Unlike Jets, Giants Won't Panic - Wh... Oct '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Thursday Night Football Breakdown: New York Jet... Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 5
Geno Smith bristles after reporter suggests Mic... Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 8
More from around the web