Manning captures NFL MVP; Pennington ...

Manning captures NFL MVP; Pennington a distant second

There are 48 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jan 2, 2009, titled Manning captures NFL MVP; Pennington a distant second. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Playing without much of a running game or run defense, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning was a landslide winner Friday and was named the NFL MVP.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Pompano Beach, FL

#43 Jan 2, 2009
Miami wrote:
I think that everyone has good comments. But in many ways it seems like MVP scoring was unfair. I know that Manning is an exceptional QB. However, his team was not down 1-15 last year. His team is not made up of a bunch of rookies and undrafted players. I am proud of you Chad and the whole Dolphin team. Thanks for a great year!!!
Lots of credit, too deserved by Tony Sporano and Bill Parcells. They turned that team around in record time! Then again, that's no surprise considering Parcell's track record.

Since: Oct 08

Ft. Lauderdale

#44 Jan 3, 2009
THE LAST WORD1 wrote:
Fang... Thank you. You, sir, have reason. I also like to point to the fact that what Chad did was probably more seen and evident to his teammates, but he was not, by a LONG shot, the MAIN reason they got to where they are right now. That's I think what poeple lose sight of. How great your coach was this year. How often do you see a first year coach come into this league and set trend as catchy as his Wildcat O he ran at times. I mean it was almost instantly a household package for a lot of other teams. That says a lot.
with that being said do you honestly believe the fins would have the same outcome had penny not signed with the fins and the fins used beck and henne all year? so if you answer is yes, then you say its the coaching, if your answer is no then you say its the qb?

Since: Oct 08

Ft. Lauderdale

#45 Jan 3, 2009
big tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Manning just came off of 2 offseason knee surgeries and NO training camp. Also, Harrison is shot, so that leaves Reggie Wayne and Gonzales (a possesion, ie short yardage receiver). Penny had like 3 STUD running backs and I believe Teddy Ginn Jr., a rocket of a receiver, if I remember correctly.
I'd still call the above a wash, until you look at the end of season (games won in a row) and HOW the teams were playing. Plus, WHO were they playing?
ok manning came outa preseason with surgeries, into an offense he knows by heart for so many years, fins recievers where unproven all year, that is if you can remember when everyone on the forums where screamin about how miami lacks reciever talent, hey i would take regie wayne any day and gonzales, i wouldnt sell them short of great.where as teddy ginn, is a rocket , where you honestly backin him all year? or where you one of the guys sayin he drops balls, runs outa bounds, afraid to get hit, cant run back a return etc...... and strength of schedule? are you kidding me, have you seen the games they played? these teams where not easy to beat at all. i mean some teams are and where struggling , st louis, kc, sanfran, but these are teams i wouldnot be saying are easy teams, as you will see next year will be a lot different for all of them.
i just dont like bashing any team for their accompishments is all. dont get me wrong, i am a fins fan for life , but just wonderin where you comin from with that comment.
Go FINS!!!
Mike 17-0

Stow, OH

#46 Jan 3, 2009
Very good. The award Manning rec'd is MVP of the League not the value to their individual team(s). This is not a slight of Penningtons contributions to the Dolphins which I believe will be recognized by the team. Whether or not Manning is the golden boy for the NFL is irrelevant. I would be more upset that CP did not get voted to the pro bowl than this.
buddy wrote:
when u think of an mvp QB pennington doesnt exactly come to mind given the circumstances he has come through. but a bunch of other players were brought in here to make this team better and it has worked. pennington got the right award for now. the comeback player of the year.

“Everyone needs a hero.I'm mine”

Since: Dec 07

Gibson City, IL

#47 Jan 5, 2009
Although both teams lost in the playoffs, what do the numbers say?
Passing

Miami CP/AT YDS TD INT
C. Pennington 25/38 252 1 4

Indianapolis CP/AT YDS TD INT
P. Manning 25/42 310 1 0

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Penny actually completed the same rate on less throws. Unfortuneatly, 4 of them were to the WRONG team. I still think Manning threw for more yards, TD's, with a depleted running game. Switch teams qb's. Indy wouldn't even make the playoffs with Penny.
I think whoever stated the case for Rivers and his numbers (as MVP, even though they're 9-8 now),
is looking pretty damn smart today.

Gibson City, IL

#48 Jan 5, 2009
weiser73 wrote:
willie mcginest was just on nfl channel sayin manning has thrown more ints than td's , what gives???
He's high.

Gibson City, IL

#49 Jan 5, 2009
weiser73:
Manning: 12-4
16 games played 95% QB rating 371 att. 555 comp. for 66.8% completion rate 27 TD's 12 INT's 1 Rushing TD 4002 Total passing yards

Third Downs Conversions 101 1ST in the NFL
Total Rushing Yards 1274 31st in the NFL

Pennington: 11-5
16 games played 97.4% QB rating 321 att. 476 comp.
for 67.4% completion rate 19 TD's 7 INT's 1 Rushing TD 3653 Total passing yards

Third Downs Conversions 71 28 in th NFL
Total Rushing Yards 1897 11th in the NFL

I added third down conversions and rushing totals. Which team was better on 3rd downs (QB) and which was better running the ball? 11th in the NFL tells me Penny had ALOT better running game. Were as third down conversion is more a reflection of the QB, rather than the receivers because it's ALWAYS the same (in this case) QB throwing the ball. Were as it's 2,3 or even 4 different receivers catching them. If this doesn't clear it up for you, your bias blinds you. Really.

Gibson City, IL

#50 Jan 5, 2009
Mike 17-0 wrote:
Very good. The award Manning rec'd is MVP of the League not the value to their individual team(s). This is not a slight of Penningtons contributions to the Dolphins which I believe will be recognized by the team. Whether or not Manning is the golden boy for the NFL is irrelevant. I would be more upset that CP did not get voted to the pro bowl than this.
<quoted text>
I agree with this. Brett Favre (who won't even go) with 22 TD's and 22 INT's. WOW! At least Cutler threw for 4471 yards with 25 TD's and 18 INT's. Favre was washed up in like, 2005-6.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Turner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Giants Rumors: Could Michael Turner be... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Forget the Alamo 3
News Now a Falcon, Steven Jackson set to face origin... (Sep '13) Sep '13 decervant4 8
News Jacquizz Rodgers stands to benefit as Atlanta F... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Lewis hasty 1
News Top 5 Teams For Michael Turner (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 2
News Report: Falcons to part ways with RB Turner (Feb '13) Feb '13 Saluki Rod 1
News Divisional Round 2012: Breaking Down the Atlant... (Jan '13) Jan '13 PezoCon 2
News Ryan throws 3 TD passes, Falcons rout Giants 34-0 (Dec '12) Dec '12 flbadcatowner 8
More from around the web