Jacobs seeks to remain Giant as contr...

Jacobs seeks to remain Giant as contract expires

There are 9 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 19, 2008, titled Jacobs seeks to remain Giant as contract expires. In it, Newsday reports that:

Brandon Jacobs wants to be practicing today. He wants to play on Sunday. And when the NFL 's free agency period begins this winter, he wants to still be a Giant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Dollar man

Boxborough, MA

#1 Nov 19, 2008
Sign 'em all. Spend every last buck you got. People will pay anything to see their team win.
KJ from Queens

Atlanta, GA

#2 Nov 19, 2008
I hate to see "Earth, Wind, and Fire" broken up, however this is a business. It will be nice to see Bradshaw get some more touches; he may torch the league next year....he just needs to stop putting the ball on the turf.
jints

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Nov 19, 2008
It will be Jacobs over Ward, which is fine. The one element that the team will miss is Ward's ability to catch and run. Bradshaw may be able to do that as well, but he's a smaller target to hit on screens and short drop passes.
andiamo

New York, NY

#4 Nov 19, 2008
Jints, you hit the nail on the head...I love the way Eli has been using Ward in the passing game lately (sure beats throwing it to Madison Hedgecock!) but in all seriousness, it's going to hurt to see Ward go, especially knowing that he's capable of starting and racking up serious yardage. It's also nice for a change to hear Jacobs talk about $...seems like he's one of those Tom Brady types who will sacrafice some green for the good of the team. I just think that with Bradshaw on the team Ward becomes more expendable.
Giants21

Danbury, CT

#5 Nov 19, 2008
I love Jacobs as a giant, and I would hate to we him go, but what's better for the team is ward, ward is younger has better hands, and he may not be able to smash his way through but ward is a great back, and Bradshaw is amazing he just doesn't stop, you can't tackle the kid, so I say resign ward and let Jacobs go unfortuntely. Then if Jacobs does not play Sunday and ward and Bradshaw take care of the running game then if we have a comfortable lead in the fourth quarter let danny ware show us what he can do
Iceman

Baltimore, MD

#6 Nov 19, 2008
Giants21 wrote:
I love Jacobs as a giant, and I would hate to we him go, but what's better for the team is ward, ward is younger has better hands, and he may not be able to smash his way through but ward is a great back, and Bradshaw is amazing he just doesn't stop, you can't tackle the kid, so I say resign ward and let Jacobs go unfortuntely. Then if Jacobs does not play Sunday and ward and Bradshaw take care of the running game then if we have a comfortable lead in the fourth quarter let danny ware show us what he can do
I don't think you can go wrong with keeping either Jacobs or Ward, but I think Bradshaw will turn out to be a back in the mold of Ward, so keeping Jacobs gives to a different style back - which I think is the better route. Regardless of who we keep, we'll continue the rotation that's worked so well this year.

Reese and Co. have done a fantastic job of scouting talent to fill key roles.
PJM

United States

#7 Nov 20, 2008
Giants21 wrote:
Jacobs is 2 years younger and has been hurt less. His size and speed combine with his agility is unique in the NFL. If he stays healthy he could become one of the greatest RBs of all time. One thing I worry about is it's so hard to bring him down that he is taking a lot of extra hits. He must have the record for most plays whistled dead because of forward progress being stopped but, the defense couldn't bring him down. What I like about all 3 RBs is that they never give up, always giving a 2nd effort. Just ask Ray Lewis after all 3 of them made him look silly. Even though Bradshaw is smaller he lowers his shoulder and drives forward. And Ward has the knack of always knowing where the 1st down marker is and getting across it. I'd hate to see any of them go but, Jacobs is the one to keep. He's like Csonka in the way he looks to knock DBs over, only bigger and faster.
MrRight

United States

#8 Nov 20, 2008
Maybe Derek and Jacobs could do a package deal. Yes, Giants can afford both, but with Bradshaw also in the mix, Giants will not pay high. Derek there is always Tampa Bay who has some aging and damaged backs who are questionable for long term durability. Derek you definitely would like it down here, a real football region. But whether the Bucs would be willing to spend for a RB the rest of the season and how it plays out at that postion will decide that question. Meanwhile, keep winning and go get that second ring.
PJM

United States

#9 Nov 23, 2008
I think todays game proved that without Jacobs pounding the defense the Giants are a good running team instead of a great one. If they could keep them all and stay under the salary cap that would be great but, I don't think they could do it. GM Reese has got to be more careful now that all players want guaranteed contracts. Hixon has proved in the 2 games he replaced Burress that the Giants over payed him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Turner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Giants Rumors: Could Michael Turner be... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Forget the Alamo 3
News Now a Falcon, Steven Jackson set to face origin... (Sep '13) Sep '13 decervant4 8
News Jacquizz Rodgers stands to benefit as Atlanta F... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Lewis hasty 1
News Top 5 Teams For Michael Turner (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 2
News Report: Falcons to part ways with RB Turner (Feb '13) Feb '13 Saluki Rod 1
News Divisional Round 2012: Breaking Down the Atlant... (Jan '13) Jan '13 PezoCon 2
News Ryan throws 3 TD passes, Falcons rout Giants 34-0 (Dec '12) Dec '12 flbadcatowner 8
More from around the web