Hester And Chargers Run Past Cowboys

Hester And Chargers Run Past Cowboys

There are 43 comments on the NBC San Diego story from Aug 10, 2008, titled Hester And Chargers Run Past Cowboys. In it, NBC San Diego reports that:

Rookie Jacob Hester , a third round pick out of LSU, had 13 carries for 49 yards and two touchdowns to lead the San Diego Chargers in a rout of the Dallas Cowboys , 31-17, in the preseason opener for both ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC San Diego.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the water man

San Diego, CA

#1 Aug 10, 2008
Artie Ojeda is the best!
cowboyfansince75

Katy, TX

#2 Aug 11, 2008
Romo and the first team offense were perfect.

The first team defense stymied the vaunted Chargers offense with 2 "3 and outs".

Danny Amendola (the 3rd PR behind Adam Jones and Crayton and a longshot to make the team at all) fumbled a Punt Return and gave the Chargers excellent field position Dallas defense held. The Chargers got a gift PI call in the endzone and we never saw the Cowboys first team again, while the Chargers kept their starters in until halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Both rookie RB's looked fantastic, and even Miles Austin showed vast improvement at the WR position.

Adam Jones has some rust to knock off in preseason, but that is to be expected.

The final score means nothing in preseason. It is the evaluation of individual performances which matters. The only concerns are with Brad Johnson and in kick coverage (correctable in preseason).
paul felenczak

Maywood, CA

#3 Aug 11, 2008
No matter how you spin it, the Chargers still won and the Cowboys didn't.
cowboyfansince75

Katy, TX

#4 Aug 11, 2008
paul felenczak wrote:
As long as both teams' starters were on the field, the Cowboys looked like the more dominant team.

The Cowboys first team offense made mincemeat of the Chargers first team defense.

The Chargers first team offense could not move the ball against the Cowboys first team defense.

It is as simple as that. You can have the final score. I'll take the result of the starters' performances...
paul felenczak

Maywood, CA

#5 Aug 11, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>As long as both teams' starters were on the field, the Cowboys looked like the more dominant team.
The Cowboys first team offense made mincemeat of the Chargers first team defense.
The Chargers first team offense could not move the ball against the Cowboys first team defense.
It is as simple as that. You can have the final score. I'll take the result of the starters' performances...
Fine, I'll take the final score. Rationalize it any way you want, but in the end the final score will get you closer to the Super Bowl faster than ANY statistic.
harley charlie

San Diego, CA

#6 Aug 11, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>As long as both teams' starters were on the field, the Cowboys looked like the more dominant team.
If winning didn't matter, they wouldn't keep score
cowboyfansince75

Katy, TX

#7 Aug 11, 2008
harley charlie wrote:
<quoted text>If winning didn't matter, they wouldn't keep score
Last time I checked, the final scores of preseason games didn't help any team reach its goals. Getting players ready for the regular season does, however.

The Cowboys first team offense was perfect, and the first team defense stopped Rivers and the Chargers offense twice. That's all that matters.

If you are happy with how the Chargers first team performed against the Dallas starters, then you need to watch the first quarter again!
xX619Xx

San Diego, CA

#8 Aug 11, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>Last time I checked, the final scores of preseason games didn't help any team reach its goals. Getting players ready for the regular season does, however.
The Cowboys first team offense was perfect, and the first team defense stopped Rivers and the Chargers offense twice. That's all that matters.
If you are happy with how the Chargers first team performed against the Dallas starters, then you need to watch the first quarter again!
If you didn't see LT, you didn't see our starting offense! Nuff said, shut up! Damn Cowgirl fans
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#9 Aug 12, 2008
xX619Xx wrote:
<quoted text>If you didn't see LT, you didn't see our starting offense! Nuff said, shut up! Damn Cowgirl fans
LT has never had a 100 yard game against Dallas anyway, so I doubt it would have made much difference. We all know how terrific LT is (TCU) in Texas, but Wade Phillips can only line his guys up against the players who ARE on the field. The ones who were on the field could not slow down Romo and the Cowboys first team offense, and could not move the ball against the Cowboys first team defense. Period.
paul felenczak

Maywood, CA

#10 Aug 12, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>LT has never had a 100 yard game against Dallas anyway, so I doubt it would have made much difference. We all know how terrific LT is (TCU) in Texas, but Wade Phillips can only line his guys up against the players who ARE on the field. The ones who were on the field could not slow down Romo and the Cowboys first team offense, and could not move the ball against the Cowboys first team defense. Period.
Okay, I'll use your logic. Romo is 0-2 in the post season. Rivers is 2-1. I win !!!!!
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#12 Aug 12, 2008
paul felenczak wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I'll use your logic. Romo is 0-2 in the post season. Rivers is 2-1. I win !!!!!
If we're going to use the past...how many SB championships do the Chargers have? Oh, that's right---zero!!!!

Cowboys: 8 SB appearances, 5 wins

Chargers: 1 appearance (and a beatdown), 0 wins

I guess I win after all...Stick to the present. This is the 2008-09 season, not the 2006 or 2007 seasons.
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#13 Aug 12, 2008
harley charlie wrote:
<quoted text>you just don't give up do you? no wonder you're a cowboys fan, you watched brokeback mountain too many times, cuz you seem to like the tight ends a little too much, takr the beating you got on saturday and live with it, IF the gayboys do something in the regular season then pull your head out of your extra large butthole and speak then!!
Have a little dignity, will you?

I am just properly analyzing the results of a preseason game. The Chargers put a beating on the Cowboys reserves, practice squad players, and camp fodder. Given their struggles against the Dallas starters, that's hardly something to brag about...

Turner had to keep Rivers and his first team offense in the game until halfway through the 2nd quarter just to get a positive result.

Since: Mar 08

Burleson, Texas

#14 Aug 12, 2008
cowboyfan, I would not worry about it...in the end, yes, the Chargers won the game...but based on first team performances, Dallas dominated on both sides of the ball...let them enjoy their preseason win...it makes them all warm and fuzzy inside.
paul felenczak

Maywood, CA

#15 Aug 12, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>If we're going to use the past...how many SB championships do the Chargers have? Oh, that's right---zero!!!!
Cowboys: 8 SB appearances, 5 wins
Chargers: 1 appearance (and a beatdown), 0 wins
I guess I win after all...Stick to the present. This is the 2008-09 season, not the 2006 or 2007 seasons.
Fine, I'll stick to the present Chargers 31 Cowboys 17.
harley charlie

San Diego, CA

#16 Aug 12, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>Have a little dignity, will you?
I am just properly analyzing the results of a preseason game. The Chargers put a beating on the Cowboys reserves, practice squad players, and camp fodder. Given their struggles against the Dallas starters, that's hardly something to brag about...
Turner had to keep Rivers and his first team offense in the game until halfway through the 2nd quarter just to get a positive result.
alright , I got a little carried away, I'm sorry, uncalled for. however I am obviously not a cowboys fan, and no matter what spin you try to put on it you lost , we won, yes pre season, yes it doesn't mean much, so quit defending a game that we'll never know an alternative outcome on
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#17 Aug 12, 2008
harley charlie wrote:
<quoted text>alright , I got a little carried away, I'm sorry, uncalled for. however I am obviously not a cowboys fan, and no matter what spin you try to put on it you lost , we won, yes pre season, yes it doesn't mean much, so quit defending a game that we'll never know an alternative outcome on
Apology accepted. And I'm not defending the players who performed poorly when given an opprotunity to play. It just seems like some people do not actually understand what preseason is all about. I am happy with how the Cowboys starters performed on offense and defense. I was not happy with the Dallas kick coverage, and I hope it will be corrected in the next three weeks.

In the interest of peace, I was also impressed with Jacob Hester (out of LSU---my alma matter). I think he will make a fine changeup guy in San Diego.
SDheisman

San Diego, CA

#18 Aug 12, 2008
exactly!!
paul felenczak wrote:
paul felenczak

Maywood, CA

#19 Aug 12, 2008
cowboyfansince75 wrote:
<quoted text>Apology accepted. And I'm not defending the players who performed poorly when given an opprotunity to play. It just seems like some people do not actually understand what preseason is all about. I am happy with how the Cowboys starters performed on offense and defense. I was not happy with the Dallas kick coverage, and I hope it will be corrected in the next three weeks.
In the interest of peace, I was also impressed with Jacob Hester (out of LSU---my alma matter). I think he will make a fine changeup guy in San Diego.
All sports are about winning. That's the ONLY objective, otherwise it's pointless. If you think that going 0-4 in preseason is not going to have an affect on a team and carry into the regular season I think you would be sadly mistaken. But that's just my opinion.
cowboyfansince75

Stafford, TX

#20 Aug 12, 2008
paul felenczak wrote:
<quoted text>
All sports are about winning. That's the ONLY objective, otherwise it's pointless. If you think that going 0-4 in preseason is not going to have an affect on a team and carry into the regular season I think you would be sadly mistaken. But that's just my opinion.
Is that right? Well, the 1993 Cowboys did exactly that in preseason (0-4) and went on to win the Super Bowl after a 12-4 record.
If winning was the only thing that mattered in preseason, why would anyone pull their starters after a series or two? If that were the case, Romo and the starters would have played until the end of the game. Your argument makes no sense.

Keeping players healthy but getting in a little practice, along with evaluating players deep into the depth chart is the purpose. Winning is just a bonus. Marty Schottenheimer always said he preferred his teams to be humbled a bit in preseason. So did Don Shula.

Preseason games ARE a bit pointless. The same evaluation of personnel can be accopmlished in intra-squad scrimmaging (as the Cowboys will do against Denver all this week). The only point to preseason games in their current format is for teams to sell Tv rights, tickets, merchandise, and concessions to make more money.

I guarantee you that Norv Turner was not in a celebratory mood while evaluating the first team's performance against the Dallas starters in the meeting rooms this week.

Once again, you can have the final score...I'll take my teams starters' performances against yours any day of the week...and twice on Sunday.
King Patriot

Houston, TX

#21 Aug 12, 2008
Cowfags

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Turner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Giants Rumors: Could Michael Turner be... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Forget the Alamo 3
News Now a Falcon, Steven Jackson set to face origin... (Sep '13) Sep '13 decervant4 8
News Jacquizz Rodgers stands to benefit as Atlanta F... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Lewis hasty 1
News Top 5 Teams For Michael Turner (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 2
News Report: Falcons to part ways with RB Turner (Feb '13) Feb '13 Saluki Rod 1
News Divisional Round 2012: Breaking Down the Atlant... (Jan '13) Jan '13 PezoCon 2
News Ryan throws 3 TD passes, Falcons rout Giants 34-0 (Dec '12) Dec '12 flbadcatowner 8