Referee explains penalty call on Suggs

Full story: Baltimore Sun 42
Jamison Hensley, the game's pool reporter, talked to referee Bill Carollo after the game about Terrell Suggs' roughing-the-passer penalty during the Titans' game-winning drive. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joshua

Catonsville, MD

#1 Oct 6, 2008
That referee should be fired...

How the hell can you call roughing the passer when Suggs just hit his pads!? AND A FALSE START KILLS EVERYTHING! Play is dead!!!

Where was all the holding penalties on the Titans TD drive?
Miffed

United States

#2 Oct 6, 2008
Lining up in the neutral zone can be nullified if the player gets out of the neutral zone before the ball is snapped. Therefore, if a player is in the neutral zone and the ball is snapped, the whistle should blow immediately, stopping play. How come play continued?
Dave

Baltimore, MD

#3 Oct 6, 2008
That was a BS call. Suggs hit the QB's right shoulder pad. If the official is blowing the whistle he should have kept on blowing it til the players heard it. Another blown call by the officials and it cost the Ravens the game. All though other things cost the RAvens the game to like poor positioning by the the defense let the Titans run around like little kids.
Steeler Amongst B-morons

Baltimore, MD

#4 Oct 6, 2008
I think we also forget that we have the benefit of seeing these things on television in "super slow-mo", whereas the refs see these things happening only once (unless a reviewable play, which this was not) at real speed. Nobody here can say with 100% confidence that Suggs did not hit his helmet, until you saw the replay. I agree it was a crappy call, but like Dave said, there were a lot of things that cost the Ravens the game, one of them being poor QB play.

DEK

Since: Jun 08

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Oct 6, 2008
I'm sick now that I heard the explanation, to think that that play should have never happened in the first place. it's all bullcrapingalloveryou.
Jeff

Annandale, VA

#6 Oct 6, 2008
Thats bull, usualy when a player false starts, and the players keep going the whistle is blown anyway!! THOSE REFS SUCK
Jeff

Annandale, VA

#7 Oct 6, 2008
did anyone see the horse collar on Mclain at the end of the game, that the refs DIDNT CALL? it looked like he was going to get alot of yards
Biff

Bethpage, NY

#8 Oct 6, 2008
Officiating overall seems to be getting worse, and I think in part, because there are too many rules that leave it up to the official to interpret.

Clearly the whistle had blown or they say it did, but everyone (both teams) were still playing, so the officials need to do a better job of stopping a play when the play is dead.

Maybe the whistles are not good enough any more. Even so, it was not an egregious hit by Suggs by any stretch, and we've all seen Suggs make some legal and illegal big hits.

During the Steeler-Jax game last night, James Harrison was hit with a 15 yard hit on Garrard, the ball had just left the QB's hand and Harrison hit him cleanly.

Both plays, the official is left to determine that its a penalty, and neither should have been.
Frustratedraven

Laurel, MD

#9 Oct 6, 2008
Regardless of whether the Ravens could have overcome this blown call or been in a position such that it would not have matter, it still was a blown call that changed the momentum of the game. I have not seen any picture or video which supports the refs view of the play and the commentors on the NFL network GameDay final agree that it was a bad call. Suggs was attempting to block the passer's arm while he was being blocked by the linebacker. During the process of attempting to block the QB's arm, Suggs hand landed on the shoulder pad. Since Suggs hand is big and the QB's head and helmet just happened to be next to his own shoulder (who knew), one of Suggs fingers (the side of the finger) happened to be touching the bottom of the QB's helmet. In no stretch of the imagination could this be construed as a blow to the helmet of the QB.
GHT

Portland, OR

#10 Oct 6, 2008
the NFL, who is so worried about injuries to marquee players (ie QB's) that they have these crazy rules in effect limiting how you tackle a QB whereby it's actually compromsing the outcome of these games. I guess I can understand the rules but I don't like the way some calls are whistled a little too quick without any thought. You can't go to replay on every damn play or a game would take a day to play, but the refs need to step back a bit and let the players play. I am sure that ref, after seeing the replay, feels like he messed up. Whatever happened to the refs running in to stop a play from continuing that was whistled dead? That did not happen here,
GHT

Portland, OR

#11 Oct 6, 2008
Steeler Amongst B-morons wrote:
I think we also forget that we have the benefit of seeing these things on television in "super slow-mo", whereas the refs see these things happening only once (unless a reviewable play, which this was not) at real speed. Nobody here can say with 100% confidence that Suggs did not hit his helmet, until you saw the replay. I agree it was a crappy call, but like Dave said, there were a lot of things that cost the Ravens the game, one of them being poor QB play.
I thought a hit to the helmut meant using your own helmut to hit his? You telling me an inadvertant gingerly touch will get a flag everytime now? This is football, not cricket. There are times when your pinky finger may be pushed into the QB's helmut, then what? Leave it up to a ref to judge? Great
GHT

Portland, OR

#12 Oct 6, 2008
I got a great idea NFL rulez makers, lets just take the "sacking the QB" out of the game. Make it illegal, then there wont be times when an overpaid official wil have to make any snap judgement call to blow.
Frustratedraven

Laurel, MD

#13 Oct 6, 2008
Steeler Amongst B-morons wrote:
Actually I did see the play at full speed sitting at my seat at the stadium and was 100% certain that Suggs had not made a blow to the QB's head. The ref was alot closer than I was and he completely blew the call.

Since: Oct 08

Baltimore, MD

#14 Oct 6, 2008
Frustratedraven wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I did see the play at full speed sitting at my seat at the stadium and was 100% certain that Suggs had not made a blow to the QB's head. The ref was alot closer than I was and he completely blew the call.
Yeah..........then maybe you should go to ref school and get out there and make a change. Surely your Superman esque penalty calling abilities will turn it all around, and you will never miss a call.

Since: Oct 08

Baltimore, MD

#15 Oct 6, 2008
And I'm sure you were also 100% certain that Flacco and the defense ultimately blew the game. Or did the refs make Flacco throw those picks? Or did the refs let the Titans continue to drive 60+ yards down the field and score. That's what I hate about Ravens fans, they never own up to the fact that their team is simply not as good as they think they are. Always someone else's fault.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#16 Oct 6, 2008
Total BS call -- total BS explanation to try to sweep it under the carpet. And don't even get me started on the whole thing about Haynesworth throwing Flacco to the ground on an unabated to the QB offside THAT WASN'T EVEN CALLED A PENALTY. There's just something very wrong going on when it comes to the officiating of Ravens games. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during their pre-game preparations.

A tape of the Haynesworth play ought to be forwarded to the league by the Ravens FO so that an appropriate fine can be levied against him. He should have been ejected. And maybe a suspension as a result of that play could be forthcoming.
jon dey

Shediac, Canada

#17 Oct 6, 2008
I have theNFL ticket up here so I switch around a lot from game to game. Believe me folks the refs are blowing a LOT of calls all over the place. There are too many to mention but I can't help notice this is two weeks in a row the refs have jobed the Ravens.
GHT

Portland, OR

#18 Oct 6, 2008
jon dey wrote:
I have theNFL ticket up here so I switch around a lot from game to game. Believe me folks the refs are blowing a LOT of calls all over the place. There are too many to mention but I can't help notice this is two weeks in a row the refs have jobed the Ravens.
I was going to say the same thing, Baltimore reffed games don't have a corner on the market in the bad calls category, there are plenty of those going around. It's just like balls and strikes, you're at the mercy of the guy in charge. It will change from game to game too. The convoluted rules regarding QB protection is what needs to be addressed. Total game outcomes are being compromised because of ticky tak BS calls.
Biff

Bethpage, NY

#19 Oct 6, 2008
jon dey wrote:
Its definetly across the board, there were several blown calls, huge ones in the Titans-Ravens, Eagles-Redskins, and Jaguars-Steelers game.

I am not sure what they are doing out there sometimes. I understand that the game goes a million miles an hour, and they only see things once...but what the...? The Suggs play, the alleged block in the back in the Eagles/Redskins, and the Harrison hit on Garrard were just quite egregious.

Now if Suggs ran back there and planted Collins, I could understand. But there was nothing to it.

I think if we are going to have reviews/challenges, then something like that should be reviewable. Sometimes that is easier to decipher than a receiver controlling a catch out of bounds.
GHT

Portland, OR

#20 Oct 6, 2008
Biff wrote:
<quoted text> Its definetly across the board, there were several blown calls, huge ones in the Titans-Ravens, Eagles-Redskins, and Jaguars-Steelers game.
I am not sure what they are doing out there sometimes. I understand that the game goes a million miles an hour, and they only see things once...but what the...? The Suggs play, the alleged block in the back in the Eagles/Redskins, and the Harrison hit on Garrard were just quite egregious.
Now if Suggs ran back there and planted Collins, I could understand. But there was nothing to it.
I think if we are going to have reviews/challenges, then something like that should be reviewable. Sometimes that is easier to decipher than a receiver controlling a catch out of bounds.
and a 3 hour game would become 5 hours. If you let each team have 1 review per game, then maybe, but the league will never allow the refs to come under question worse than replay. never

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Roos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Eagle Matt Johnson Taken in Fourth Round... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Gino 1
Titans hire Mike Munchak as head coach (Feb '11) Feb '11 Brutus 2
My Tennessee Titans Madden NFL 10 Ratings (Jul '09) Jul '09 Bears offense mad... 1
Teammates: Collins needs to shave beard (Dec '08) Dec '08 rayjones69 1
Titans' victory, season memorable (Nov '08) Nov '08 roger 1
Referee explains Suggs' penalty (Oct '08) Nov '08 NotATypo 33
Harbaugh staying mum (Oct '08) Oct '08 Texans Suck 5
More from around the web