Colts' punt coverage ranks last in NFL

Colts' punt coverage ranks last in NFL

There are 118 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Nov 7, 2007, titled Colts' punt coverage ranks last in NFL. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Tim Jennings registered the statistic in disbelief. Or maybe pained belief. "It's shocking that we're 32nd in the league.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
COLTS18

AOL

#1 Nov 7, 2007
WE HAVE BEEN NEEDING IMPROVEMENT ON THIS FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND I BELIEVE DUNGY NEEDS TO INSIST ON IMPROVEMENTIMMEDIATELY OR GET A NEW SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!THIS CAN NOT BE TOLERATED!
bing55

Jacksonville, IL

#2 Nov 7, 2007
What were we last year, 31st??? Well, we overcame that ok as I remember. All this mid-season stuff really is over rated I think. The coaches know what they need to do, and they will do it in the right time, just like last year. It is cool though when you have to find things to complain about.
Southsider

Bloomfield, IN

#3 Nov 7, 2007
Hunter the Punter is still the best punter in the league!
Indy Bob

Greenwood, IN

#4 Nov 7, 2007
COLTS18 wrote:
WE HAVE BEEN NEEDING IMPROVEMENT ON THIS FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND I BELIEVE DUNGY NEEDS TO INSIST ON IMPROVEMENTIMMEDIATELY OR GET A NEW SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!THIS CAN NOT BE TOLERATED!
As Colts18 said.... improvement is a long time coming. It is hard to believe that something has not been done about this problem. Dungy, Irsay, and the whole front office seem so savey about ways to improve our team, and have. That being said..... why have we given the opponent good field position, OR worse .... touchdowns, so many times what seems forever? We need a fix......NOW.
eddie

United States

#5 Nov 7, 2007
If the Colts punt so few times why not use the best players on the team to cover it. Same for kickoffs. Certainly a few extra plays per game won't tire the first team out? BTW isn't Welker a starter for NE?
Indy Bob

Greenwood, IN

#6 Nov 7, 2007
bing55 wrote:
What were we last year, 31st??? Well, we overcame that ok as I remember. All this mid-season stuff really is over rated I think. The coaches know what they need to do, and they will do it in the right time, just like last year. It is cool though when you have to find things to complain about.
bing55.......... get your head out of the sand. If you get an oil change, and they do a great job on EVERYTHING except one thing, could you accept them leaving the plug out of the oil pan? The plug "left out of OUR oilpan" is special teams allowing problems that could.... and should be corrected!!!
Indy Bob

Greenwood, IN

#7 Nov 7, 2007
Southsider wrote:
I do NOT consider "Hunter the Punter" a problem. He is the only shining star on the special teams as a whole.
Hmmmm

Natick, MA

#8 Nov 7, 2007
Kids, this isn't a new problem.
Kickoff and punt coverage is DISMAL at best...I'm happy when the coaches decide to squib or even kick it out of bounds!
How does our special teams coach keep his job? Is he personal friends with Dungy? Please, fix this!
Tim

Greensboro, NC

#9 Nov 7, 2007
For the love of god... PUNT IT OUT OF BOUNDS. It's not like you get a penalty as you do on kickoffs. I've been screaming this at the TV before every punt for what seems to be the last 3-4 years and the coaching staff never seems to listen. Maybe if I post something on the internet they'll get the message.

PUNT IT OUT OF BOUNDS!!!!!!
tim

United States

#10 Nov 7, 2007
eddie wrote:
BTW isn't Welker a starter for NE?
No the third wide receiver on a team is not a starter.
Patsfan1031

Worcester, MA

#11 Nov 7, 2007
The Colts punt coverage is unit is the only one on the team that doesn't cheat, that's why they rank last...
sawdutch

Ellijay, GA

#12 Nov 7, 2007
Someday, somehow, I hope to hear ANY head coach explain why ANY team EVER punts the ball down the middle of the field. If there's any logic here, it escapes me!
mike from greenwood

Franklin, IN

#13 Nov 7, 2007
I don't agree with Kravitz a lot, but he's right about special teams, it's horrible!
Indy Football Fan

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Nov 7, 2007
I woulda hafta say the Vinateri is pretty good too.

I don't know why everyone thinks the Colts and Pats are so superior to the rest of the league.

Both of em looked like crap Sunday. In many phases of the game.
Will

Austin, TX

#15 Nov 7, 2007
Special Teams is beyond piss poor. I am gonna snap if i see one more fair catch inside the ten yard line!
hammer

Beresford, SD

#16 Nov 7, 2007
Southsider wrote:
The problem is,he also leads the special teams in tackles.[frown]
GO Colts

Fort Thomas, KY

#17 Nov 7, 2007
Patsfan1031 wrote:
The Colts punt coverage is unit is the only one on the team that doesn't cheat, that's why they rank last...
We are not talking about the Patriots punt coverage here. Are you bitter because you guys cheat and got caught or are you bitter because we don't? Get over us already.
Louis Cifelli

AOL

#18 Nov 7, 2007
There coverage jsut hasn't been the same since they let Clifton Crosby go like 5 years ago, I think that account for the good numbers in 2002. He used to make so many special teams tackles. The return team is also a worry this year as they let Wilkins go for Jennings who doesnt scare anybody, I'd much rather see Craphonso Thrope who had much more explosiveness everytime I saw him. Special teams cannot be underrated and our coverage units always seem to be lacking, and that can hurt us in the close games.
Mike Z

Palo Alto, CA

#19 Nov 7, 2007
Why doesn't Tony tell Hunter: "KICK IT OUT OF BOUNDS"?
eric

United States

#20 Nov 7, 2007
why can't pats fans spell?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melvin Bullitt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vikings Possibly Interested In Former Colts Saf... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News The replacements: Francisco, Angerer latest in ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 SJ Bobkins 1
News Do the Colts have too many D-tackles and when w... (Apr '10) Apr '10 beardy117 1
News Colts' Dungy retires from football (Jan '09) Jan '09 TMD 5
News Bruised Ben (Nov '08) Nov '08 thomas stacey 24
News Colts pick off win in Pittsburgh (Nov '08) Nov '08 Football AL 3
News Ravens-Colts game log (Oct '08) Oct '08 Burt from Essex 364
More from around the web