Here's a way to appease Jones and Jets

Full story: Newsday 19
This appeared Friday in Bob Glauber's NFL Insider blog: newsday.com/nflblog I believe Thomas Jones should get more than $900,000. I realize that is not a popular sentiment among many Jets fans who believe that Jones should be beholden to the four-year, $20- million contract he signed before the 2007 season - the one that already has paid him $13.1 ... Full Story
galactus

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#1 May 31, 2009
this column is bull bleep. how ocme o one suggested he take less money the first 2 years. jsets agreed t pay big bucks first 2 years os tey wuld get a brea n the third year. Thomas should shut up, set a good example and play.
JetOrange

Patterson, NY

#3 May 31, 2009
There is a solution, but in every negotiation you have to give a little.Give Thomas his roster bonus of next March but discount it 50%, thereby increasing his 2009 comp to 2.4 In 2010 since he foregoes this roster bonus, his salary is 2.8
The Jets use the fact that he won the rushing title to justify this action, and save 1.5 million in total comp in the deal..
Nick

New York, NY

#4 May 31, 2009
you're missing the point on how much Jones has already collected from the Jets.

If you hire a contractor to redo your home and agree to a fair contract which is front loaded, the guy is doing a very good job for 11 months but with one month left starts complaining he won't finish the job unless you increase the total deal, how would you feel? probably like you're being taken advantage of.

If Jones wants to make more money this year how about if HE gives the Jets back $2 million which they paid him over the past two years and they can guarantee that amount to him this year so his salary will be nearly $3 million in 2009
tampajet

Valrico, FL

#5 May 31, 2009
I would agree that sounds fair and he is only getting what he signed for. That will give us a happy player and not over pay for him.Get the Leon deal done.
texjet

Houston, TX

#6 May 31, 2009
Restructuring deals are a fact of life, and if you can't handle it you shouldn't be in the league. One can say "take it or leave it", or "shut up and play" and ignore reality while making it harder to sign any player in the future. also nick, your contractor can walk away, or you can fire him and he can work somewhere else. Not so w/ TJ. Be smart, jets (for once), come up w/ a deal for the best player on your offense.
david

West Chazy, NY

#7 May 31, 2009
Give him a bonus if he exceeds last years performance and a pay cut if he fails to reach last years performance. A typical union ploy, pay me more but never pay me less. Get a life TJ
david

West Chazy, NY

#8 May 31, 2009
I am not from San Diego California, a proud upstate/Adirondack resident
Denver Jet Fan

Aurora, CO

#9 May 31, 2009
How about amending his current contract to a 3 year deal and guarantee him $3.9 M this year, making him a restricted free agent next year. Then the Jets will see what the market will bear for a 32 year old RB. Also, Shonn Green should be ready by then...
Atown JETS fan

Kintnersville, PA

#10 May 31, 2009
how about paying him a portion of next years bonus based upon his quality of play this year. payable at the end of this year, not next spring.
williamg

Westminster, CA

#11 May 31, 2009
How about: Thomas Jones has zero leverage. NO MATTER WHAT, he's going to be cut after the season. That's a given. So why would they pay him more? Make him play for the $900,000 and tell him that he's going to be a 33 year old free agent, so he better audition for other teams (and the new contract that comes with going to another team) by playing his butt off.....There is NO incentive for the Jets to give him more money. NONE. And Thomas Jones has no leverage. Sometimes life is unfair.
Bob Sandusky

Pittsfield, MA

#12 May 31, 2009
Better idead.

How about instead of putting the money up front, make it an incentive. If Jones makes more than 1,100 yards this year he gets the roster bonus on the day after the Jets season ends. And then he gets his $3 million in 2010 because he has proved he should be on the roster.

That way he has an incentive to perform and the Jets aren't paying for another player whose personal assessment of his value is greater than he actually worth. He got tons up front now let him work for it like the rest of us.
Paul

Germantown, MD

#13 Jun 1, 2009
I gotta say, for all those saying that Jones should play for his salary, the Jets can and probably will cut him before they have to pay him the money they promised to pay him.

So, it cuts both ways. Don't criticize the "greedy" player when the "greedy" team just abrogates a contract whenever they want.
Violeta

Cuauhtémoc, Mexico

#14 Jun 1, 2009
It is a good idea from the stand point that they are going to run the ball more, but if he wants more money ? I really do not know what the players do with sucho amount of money. In 2 years the Jets paid him 12 million !!!!!!! What has he done with that money and now he wants more. If he was not happy with his contract when he signed he should say it.
Sean

Staten Island, NY

#15 Jun 1, 2009
Jones wanted his money front loaded. The Jets took a risk paying him so much early in his contract. Now Jones would be lucky to be traded and get a multi year deal
Sean

Staten Island, NY

#16 Jun 1, 2009
Greedy Jones should play for how much he has been paid so far. 2/3 of his contract he is only 1/2 way through his contract.
Tired Fan

Charlotte, NC

#17 Jun 1, 2009
How about everybody SHUTS UP and Jones just plays like he should!!! No one forced him to sign the contract 3 years ago, and besides he did nothing for us his first year so maybe he should give us some back!!!

BlahBlah Blah...I need more money, can I help it if steroids are getting more and more expensive....
Duke of NY

United States

#18 Jun 1, 2009
This suggestion makes lot's of sense. The jets are going to br breaking in a Qb and need out top two running oiptions happy. Jones i read came to camp looking like his old STALLION self. Guarantee the bonus then sign leon and LETS GO.
J E T S jets jets jets!!!!!!!!
BorninNYnowinDC

Columbus, OH

#19 Jun 2, 2009
You know, if my boss offered to pay me in two years 65% of what I was due to earn over four, I'd happily take it and its buying power, and earn interest on what I was able to save in the interim.
Sean Haberman

Washington, DC

#20 Jun 4, 2009
Thomas Jones is not the reason the Jets have a good running game-- he is not responsible for his good numbers. I think he has to prove himself this year, while the Jets don't have a QB. It's a lot different with Brett Favre throwing the ball than when-- I don't even know who the Jets QB is-- is throwing the ball.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maurice Jones-Drew Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oakland Raiders Likely Not Bringing Darren McFa... Feb 24 Farts 8
NFL players like 49ers' Gore swear by muscle ac... Feb 18 Activation Required 2
Oakland Raiders could sign Ndamukong Suh or tra... Jan '15 USMC Farts 2
Raiders players host breast cancer patients for... Oct '14 Breast Awareness ... 3
Darren McFadden brings Oakland Raiders ground g... Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 2
Pro Football Talk: Raiders still worst team in NFL (Jul '14) Jul '14 RaiderFaith 3
Darren McFadden speculated to be starter for Oa... (Jul '14) Jul '14 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 13
More from around the web