Bears coach Lovie Smith still wants Devin Hester returning punts

It seems reasonable for Devin Hester to get less work on special teams as he continues to evolve into a No. Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“The quo has no status”

Since: Oct 08

Hammond, IN

#1 May 3, 2009
"as he continues to evolve into a No. 1 receiver". Huh?
Tim

Chicago, IL

#2 May 3, 2009
But wait shouldn't Hester focus on being a mediocre receiver? Why have him return kicks when he's so good at it? In fact, I'd like to see him used as a holder for extra points. Focus on the things you stink at Devin.
WI Bear

Siren, WI

#3 May 3, 2009
I'd rather see D. Manning returning kicks again, and yes, with Cutler, I can see Devin turning into that #1 receiver. When he turns on the jets, no one can catch him (if he catches the damn ball, that is.)
Nicole

Austin, TX

#4 May 3, 2009
#1 receiver? In what context...oh, I forgot, our front office doesn't want to draft or sign a real #1. The mediocre talent pool will apparently continue until eternity. Well, Jay welcome to the bears way of doing offensive business.Someone forgot to tell the bears front office that we would like a real receiver for a change.
Pearl

North Aurora, IL

#5 May 3, 2009
Hester made watching football fun again. It had been awhile since the fans had that. Then management grew a brain, so to speak.
Hamps

Wheaton, IL

#6 May 3, 2009
It's May and I could care less who will return punts for the Bears.
We'll soon find out this year the Bears top off-season priority for 2010 season will be to get a top flight receiver.
Notice I said 2010 not 2009. Because Angelo has gambled before when it was so obvious we needed offensive lineman he did not draft or sign a free agent. He has spent the last 2 years rebuilding the line.
He's doing the same thing with the wide receivers 2 years in a row.
This is my last post on Bears. Football season can wait.

Since: Oct 08

Merrimac, WI

#7 May 4, 2009
did anyone stop to think maybe the ball wasn't thrown hard enough or fast enough to really hit his hands right? Or maybe now they can spread the field of play and use Cutlers feet to keep everything alive after the snap! I think the team was pe-od with all the talk of Bobo the clown and not paying attention to or playing like they did the year before, we'll be in the playoffs this year!
MR KENNEDY

Rensselaer, IN

#8 May 4, 2009
This coaching staff turned the best ever return man into a non factor.Hester was good for 100 to 300 yards a game.Thanks Dave and Lovie.
BearsFan2

Bradenton, FL

#9 May 4, 2009
Orton's gone, so Hester will be much improved at WR.

And of course, like Prime, he can do both.

Isn't it great that Orton is gone!!!!
Bill

Melrose Park, IL

#10 May 4, 2009

It's a new season...... Why all the negative talk ??

Hell ..... Whether Hester catches EVERY ball or not is immaterial...... The D will have to respect him on EVERY play !!... And THAT's as good as a solid block every time.

With Knox burning down the OTHER sideline, it'll give the opponents fits...... AND leave open the underneath stuff...... Again,.. Knox also doesn't have to catch EVERY ball, but that's TWO defenders now taken out of the play.

We'll be JUST FINE !!

killyamomma

Oak Lawn, IL

#12 May 4, 2009
why is everybody in here crying just shut up hester will be the #1 rec damn give the man a chance
ldc

Champaign, IL

#13 May 4, 2009
Hamps wrote:
It's May and I could care less who will return punts for the Bears.
We'll soon find out this year the Bears top off-season priority for 2010 season will be to get a top flight receiver.
Notice I said 2010 not 2009. Because Angelo has gambled before when it was so obvious we needed offensive lineman he did not draft or sign a free agent. He has spent the last 2 years rebuilding the line.
He's doing the same thing with the wide receivers 2 years in a row.
This is my last post on Bears. Football season can wait.
What?

There Bears just drafted THREE receivers, and they drafted two last year, one being a player our new QB is friends with back to his Vanderbilt days.

it is very possible the team has a solid No. 1 in there somewhere, and I am not counting Hester out, either.

Just like Bernard Berrian began to flourish in his third season one the Bears used a QB that could actually throw a deep ball -- if nothing else, as history demonstrated -- Hester should be fine with Cutler.

And people forget that this team has two solid TE, and one with Pro Bowl potential in Olsen.

In fact, you could easily see Olsen and Forte leading the team in catches, but with far better ypc averages and far more catches than last year.

If that is the case, having one WR with around 50 catchers, and another aroudn't 40 isn't that signifcant, if the team is moving the ball.

IOW, stop whining. Cutler has options now.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#14 May 4, 2009
Lovie, clueless as usual. Hester has lost FOCUS on returns because he gets paid 4 having X number of catches and yards as a receiver. Are the Bears really this DUMB?
Shatster

Moscow, Russia

#15 May 4, 2009
Him as a WR....lmao!
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

#16 May 4, 2009
umm...why? i haven't seen a kick in awhile that he's returned and looked...hester-like. he has no explosiveness. either his conditioning was bad(unlikely) or he simply doesn't have the energy to do all these tasks AND maintain that elite level of return ability. hopefully he returns to form but if he doesn't...get him away from the punts because he probably goes farther back than forward nowadays.

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#17 May 4, 2009
Hester has to earn his money this year. If he doesn't significantly improve at WR, he'd then become the highest paid return man in the NFL.
USMC Bears Fan

Oceanside, CA

#18 May 4, 2009
"Good for our league if players like that are still playing."

Translation:
"Good for us if players like that are still playing."
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#19 May 4, 2009
I'd love to see Devin Hester returning not just punts, but kickoffs as well, again. The thing i wouldn't love to see again though, is that return man posing as Devin Hester last season. I don't think anyone could have imagined such a decline in his return abilities as we saw him have last year. Yes, give me the 06-07 Hester, but that imposter from 08, i'll say no thanks to.
BearsFanForLife

United States

#20 May 4, 2009
Bill wrote:
It's a new season...... Why all the negative talk ??
Hell ..... Whether Hester catches EVERY ball or not is immaterial...... The D will have to respect him on EVERY play !!... And THAT's as good as a solid block every time.
With Knox burning down the OTHER sideline, it'll give the opponents fits...... AND leave open the underneath stuff...... Again,.. Knox also doesn't have to catch EVERY ball, but that's TWO defenders now taken out of the play.
We'll be JUST FINE !!
I actually agree with you,nice post. I think alot of this negative craap is coming from Packer & Viking fans. They are Worried & Jealous and they should be! I like the Receivers we have drafted,we will be fine. Now we can send Rashied Davis packing.. Angelo has surprisingly Transformed our weak offense into a possible power house unit. Very impressive off-season,to say the least,I am impressed. We even tried getting Holt and Boldin. I cant wait for the games. We will do our talking on the field! Bear Down. Go Bears,2009 Division Champs!!
BearsFanForLife

United States

#21 May 4, 2009
Rod from Tennessee wrote:
I'd love to see Devin Hester returning not just punts, but kickoffs as well, again. The thing i wouldn't love to see again though, is that return man posing as Devin Hester last season. I don't think anyone could have imagined such a decline in his return abilities as we saw him have last year. Yes, give me the 06-07 Hester, but that imposter from 08, i'll say no thanks to.
It wasnt all Hester! We lost alot of good players on special teams. Devin wasnt getting good blocking like he was back then. When you replay the returns it is obvious the blocking in front of him was not as good. Other teams were doing a good job at making it harder for Devin,as teams prepare for him now. More hang time on Punts was one of the bigger strategies teams seemed to use,that was effective. That allows the players to get down field before Hester can take off. We picked up some good special teams players this year,so we should be better this year. The Bears seemed to target several players with good special teams ability. Take care. Bear Down. Go Bears,2009 division Champs!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Toeaina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Samoa Camp hosts highlight their commitment (Jul '11) Jul '11 ysl replica 1
News Bears sign three players (Mar '10) Mar '10 Susan Harris 1
News Hester remark gets Bears QB Cutler in trouble (Aug '09) Aug '09 Mark Schlereth 2
News 5 Chicago Bears who better watch draft (Apr '09) Apr '09 _DiMz_ 43
News Blanked in Pro Bowl? Lance Briggs may be Bears'... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Bleed Cubbie blue 11
News Bears' Matt Forte limited in 1st half by foot i... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Bill 3
News Anthony Adams inactive, still part of Bears' fa... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Aussie Hoosier 1
More from around the web