Sources: Knapp offered Raiders' OC job

Jan 31, 2012 Full story: Fox Sports 20

Alex Marvez is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com. He has covered the NFL for the past 17 seasons as a beat writer and is the former president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Full Story
Raiderfaith

United States

#1 Jan 31, 2012
A lateral move that will likely set us back. I know the allen wants his own coaches, but keeping Saunders helped with continuity. Getting a new DC and keeping Saunders was the smart play. But if knapp accepts..we move on. Now they all will have to learn a new offense........again! The fact that we were deplorable in the years knapp was with us, doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
Sleepless in Oaktown

United States

#2 Jan 31, 2012
He makes us all want to take a Knapp...
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#3 Jan 31, 2012
So you are saying the old Knapp was Krapp, but hold out hope for the new Knapp?. History repeats itself
Raiderfaith

United States

#4 Jan 31, 2012
Lbf...i have no choice but to hope it's better this go round. But my gut is saying this knapp hire is a huge statement(not in a good way). Sigh...
DC Next

United States

#5 Jan 31, 2012
I have a feeling that a one-off coach will be named the new DC now...probably some special teams coach...

No one good left...Donkeys snagged DelRio who is better suited to stick with just coaching defense, much like Wade Phillips is/was...
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#6 Jan 31, 2012
DC Next wrote:
I have a feeling that a one-off coach will be named the new DC now...probably some special teams coach...
No one good left...Donkeys snagged DelRio who is better suited to stick with just coaching defense, much like Wade Phillips is/was...
What you need is a hot-headed Ditka like coach prowling the sidelines, spewing profanity, screaming at the top of his lungs so much that slobber is dripping off the facemasks of the entire defensive unit.
Most importantly he must have a killer-instinct!
Soooo the next DC of the Raiders is going to be Ray Lewis
(Maybe Rae Carruth should coach the WR's? His killer instinct knows no bounds)
Maybe

United States

#7 Jan 31, 2012
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>What you need is a hot-headed Ditka like coach prowling the sidelines, spewing profanity, screaming at the top of his lungs so much that slobber is dripping off the facemasks of the entire defensive unit.
Most importantly he must have a killer-instinct!
Soooo the next DC of the Raiders is going to be Ray Lewis
(Maybe Rae Carruth should coach the WR's? His killer instinct knows no bounds)
Those clowns will not work...need Lawrence Taylor and Chris Hanson on spy camera...

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

#8 Jan 31, 2012
mike singleterry? too bad he's not available.
RAIDERS 2012!!!
UHaulbow

United States

#9 Jan 31, 2012
RAIDER MISTERIO OG wrote:
RAIDERS 2012!!!
Actually, that is good thing...
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#10 Jan 31, 2012
RAIDER MISTERIO OG wrote:
RAIDERS 2012!!!
I'm sure the Vikings would entertain a trade offer for Singletary, since the Raiders have been known to part with a ton of picks for a marginal piece (see Palmer)

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#11 Jan 31, 2012
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure the Vikings would entertain a trade offer for Singletary, since the Raiders have been known to part with a ton of picks for a marginal piece (see Palmer)
that was the past LBF! we are now the grenn bay RAIDERS!
RAIDERS 2012!!!

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#12 Jan 31, 2012
after the interview, it sounds as if new hc dennis allen is going to keep most of the team players together but it sounds like they are going to make changes on staff members. kind of, "clean house"!
RAIDERS 2012!!!
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#13 Jan 31, 2012
Flush Twice OG Thats a lot of crap you have to move away

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#14 Jan 31, 2012
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
Flush Twice OG Thats a lot of crap you have to move away
no thats fine, i mean, if we are going to make changes, let it be for the right reasons. your bears my RAIDERS, and all those who got new gm's and coaches have to do what they have to do. everybody comes in thinking that they are going to change a team around. look at matt millen when he went to the lions? a five time superbowl winner with no head coaching experience? failed big time. look at how many coaches we've gone through? A SSHH-LOAD! we can only say nothing about our new situation till we see (W's) and or (L"s). but again i say, after al davis, after hue jackson, we at least gotta see something at that level to be lets say, hopeful? but yeah, let them do what they are going to do as far as cleaning house goes. if they are going to put change in this org. then let them put change. we point fingers later!
RAIDERS 2012!!!

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#15 Jan 31, 2012
I don't really have much opinion on this...Knapp was good in his pre-Raider days, but after his short stint with us, he really hasn't been the same. Right now he's the QBs coach for Houston and normally he's an offensive coordinator.
Fired for a reason

United States

#16 Feb 1, 2012
TexasRaider wrote:
I Right now he's the QBs coach for Houston and normally he's an offensive coordinator.
Some guys are better fit to stick with what they know...promoting Knapp back up to OC is bad...

Some West Texas County

#17 Feb 1, 2012
Fired for a reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Some guys are better fit to stick with what they know...promoting Knapp back up to OC is bad...
Exactly...Houston's Wade Phillips is a prime example of one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL, who is not good for the head position. I feel the same way about Norv Turner...Great offensive coordinator, but not a good head coach. Tom Cable is a great OL coach and I think a good Head coach as long as he's got a good offensive coordinator to handle the play calling.
Donkey DC

United States

#18 Feb 1, 2012
TexasRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly...Houston's Wade Phillips is a prime example of one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL, who is not good for the head position. I feel the same way about Norv Turner...Great offensive coordinator, but not a good head coach. Tom Cable is a great OL coach and I think a good Head coach as long as he's got a good offensive coordinator to handle the play calling.
Yep...thats what sucks about DelRio joining the Broncos too...he is one of those who knows defense...

Some West Texas County

#19 Feb 1, 2012
Donkey DC wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep...thats what sucks about DelRio joining the Broncos too...he is one of those who knows defense...
I don't really like Jack DelRio because he don't care about winning
Delville

United States

#20 Feb 1, 2012
But he is defensive minded...sucked as a head coach...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Schaub Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kawakami: Jon Gruden still Raiders' dream candi... Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 18
Raiders to rehab several injuries over bye week Oct '14 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 1
Raiders tab rookie Derek Carr as starting QB Sep '14 Laughing Bear Fan 2
2014 Predictions: Houston Texans Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
Derek Carr will start the opener Sep '14 Reggie McWTF 1
Raiders' Brice Butler battles for roster spot Aug '14 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 2
Oakland Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie Must Assess ... Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 62
More from around the web