Why not give Vick a chance?

Why not give Vick a chance?

There are 2417 comments on the The Daily Vidette story from Feb 18, 2009, titled Why not give Vick a chance?. In it, The Daily Vidette reports that:

One NFL head coach has not ruled out the possibility of signing former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, who is expected to be released from prison July 20.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Vidette.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#3075 Jul 17, 2009
STEELCURTAIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said before the children don't idolize athletes for what they do or how they conduct themselves. They idolize them for the money athletic ability and fame. Ask any child from 5-16 who their favorite athlete is and what they do for their community, what charities they support and so forth and I am willing to bet 9 out of 10 times they will not know. If MV is reinstated you wont see kids walking around with MV jersey's saying they want to be dogfighters. One other thing if he is reinstated and changes his life around he will be a perfect mentor for children. Kind of like how an ex-alchoholic or addict is a better counselor than one who has not been.
The difference is, being an alcoholic or a drug addict in and of itself
isn't a violent crime.
crime

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#3076 Jul 17, 2009
Rachael wrote:
<quoted text>By Monday, we all will have said the same thing at least 10 times.
Ain't that the truth.
Paul

Inverness, FL

#3077 Jul 17, 2009
Pleasure Beach Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
isn't a violent crime.
crime
This reflects how our society sees violent crime. As nothing. If this keeps up our lives along with our pets will be wasted as easily as if we lived in a 3rd world country
Betty

Dunn, NC

#3078 Jul 17, 2009
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>This reflects how our society sees violent crime. As nothing. If this keeps up our lives along with our pets will be wasted as easily as if we lived in a 3rd world country
Yep. It's on its way.

“Elk herd @ minesite!!!!”

Since: Dec 08

Yakima Wa.

#3079 Jul 17, 2009
Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot understand why you keep on insisting that MV should play in the NFL and how he can possibly be a "perfect mentor" for the children. In the first place, don't think for one instant that these "children" will not know that he tortured, mutilated and brutalized innocent and helpless animals to death. Michael Vick is now known world wide and everyone on this universe knows what he did to animals. Secondly,how in this world can you compare him to an ex-alcoholic? An ex-alcholic does not hurt anyone but himself, unless he is driving while drunk and kills someone on the road. However, this is not done intentionally as compared to MV's crimes which were premeditated for a SEVEN YEAR PERIOD, not to mention the fact that he enjoyed torturing these animals to death as this was for his pure pleasure and entertainment.Therefore, your comparison to an ex-alcoholic and Vick is moot.
From your posts, you seem to be a reasonable person and yet, your admiration and addiction to this mentally deficient beast is very difficult to understand.He is not NORMAL as no normal person could or would do what he did to animals for personal entertainment. You should know this by now from all the posts you have read on this forum. So what makes you think he will change his life around when he is brain damaged? Even if he gets counselling and pyschiatric care, there is no guaranty that he will ever be cured of his mental illness.
No one wants to admire someone who tortures innocent and helpless animals to death.This is totally unacceptable, unforgivable and certainly and unforgotten.
Rose the comparison wasn't about the acts in themselves. I know through personal experience that I would rather have a counselor that was recovered than someone who has not been. Anyone can pick up a book and go to college and study things such as addiction and become a counselor but to actually experience it is a whole other thing. That is the comparison I was making. And to tell you the truth addicts don't just hurt themselves. It is a ripple affect and hurts everyone around them. Ask Rachael I bet she would agree with me on this.

Next thing, I think that IF he changes his life around that he would be an excellent mentor for the children for dogfighting awareness. Atleast in areas where dogfighting is common. I think this for the same reason that I beleive an ex-addict makes a better counselor than someone who has not experienced addiction. I'm not saying that they are better but through my personal experience I can relate to them more because at one point in their life they were where I was.

Now I don't admire MV nor is this an addiction, I am merely here to logically debate just as you are.

I don't believe he is brain damaged or psychotic or any other mental illness. Now this is just my opinion and there is no proof to prove otherwise. If he was don't you think his lawyers would have used that as a defense??? Now he is not normal by any means but what is normal nowadays. Some of the hardest of criminals were some of the smartest people.

I guess the difference between you and I are, I think through logic and you use your emotions to fuel your hatred.

Yakima Wa.

#3080 Jul 17, 2009
<quoted text>
isn't a violent crime.
crime
Please refer to my post to Rose.

Yakima Wa.

#3081 Jul 17, 2009
Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot understand why you keep on insisting that MV should play in the NFL and how he can possibly be a "perfect mentor" for the children. In the first place, don't think for one instant that these "children" will not know that he tortured, mutilated and brutalized innocent and helpless animals to death. Michael Vick is now known world wide and everyone on this universe knows what he did to animals. Secondly,how in this world can you compare him to an ex-alcoholic? An ex-alcholic does not hurt anyone but himself, unless he is driving while drunk and kills someone on the road. However, this is not done intentionally as compared to MV's crimes which were premeditated for a SEVEN YEAR PERIOD, not to mention the fact that he enjoyed torturing these animals to death as this was for his pure pleasure and entertainment.Therefore, your comparison to an ex-alcoholic and Vick is moot.
From your posts, you seem to be a reasonable person and yet, your admiration and addiction to this mentally deficient beast is very difficult to understand.He is not NORMAL as no normal person could or would do what he did to animals for personal entertainment. You should know this by now from all the posts you have read on this forum. So what makes you think he will change his life around when he is brain damaged? Even if he gets counselling and pyschiatric care, there is no guaranty that he will ever be cured of his mental illness.
No one wants to admire someone who tortures innocent and helpless animals to death.This is totally unacceptable, unforgivable and certainly and unforgotten.
One other thing I forgot to mention. I am not the only one that thinks this, as I'm sure you know he is working at a boys home so the board of directors must think that as well.

Yakima Wa.

#3082 Jul 17, 2009
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>This reflects how our society sees violent crime. As nothing. If this keeps up our lives along with our pets will be wasted as easily as if we lived in a 3rd world country
He has served his sentence for the crime he committed as set forth by the people WE put into office. It is not that we see violent crime as nothing it is more of the fact that he has completed his sentence and should be entitled to seek a career. Or we should just tell a man what he cannot do and live like a bunch of communists???
Marion

Inverness, FL

#3083 Jul 17, 2009
STEELCURTAIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose the comparison wasn't about the acts in themselves. I know through personal experience that I would rather have a counselor that was recovered than someone who has not been. Anyone can pick up a book and go to college and study things such as addiction and become a counselor but to actually experience it is a whole other thing. That is the comparison I was making. And to tell you the truth addicts don't just hurt themselves. It is a ripple affect and hurts everyone around them. Ask Rachael I bet she would agree with me on this.
Next thing, I think that IF he changes his life around that he would be an excellent mentor for the children for dogfighting awareness. Atleast in areas where dogfighting is common. I think this for the same reason that I beleive an ex-addict makes a better counselor than someone who has not experienced addiction. I'm not saying that they are better but through my personal experience I can relate to them more because at one point in their life they were where I was.
Now I don't admire MV nor is this an addiction, I am merely here to logically debate just as you are.
I don't believe he is brain damaged or psychotic or any other mental illness. Now this is just my opinion and there is no proof to prove otherwise. If he was don't you think his lawyers would have used that as a defense??? Now he is not normal by any means but what is normal nowadays. Some of the hardest of criminals were some of the smartest people.
I guess the difference between you and I are, I think through logic and you use your emotions to fuel your hatred.
Recovery is not based on the reward system. It is based on desire. And his playing football isn't a counseling job. If his heart is not in this(as i suspect) it would do more harm to EVERYONE concerned. If he wants to help people he probably has another year to do that.
Marion

Inverness, FL

#3084 Jul 17, 2009
Many people wrote that boy's home as we are not the only ones that feel this way either. He wouldn't get thru the door at MOST boys clubs. that director probably attended his dogfights

Yakima Wa.

#3085 Jul 18, 2009
Marion wrote:
<quoted text>Recovery is not based on the reward system. It is based on desire. And his playing football isn't a counseling job. If his heart is not in this(as i suspect) it would do more harm to EVERYONE concerned. If he wants to help people he probably has another year to do that.
Yeah I know what recovery is based on. Why do you think he will be rewarded?? He will be payed as you and I are for the work and knowledge of our chosen professions. Granted he will be paid more money than we are but that is the rate for that profession.

So should all convicted felons be held to low paying jobs?? Don't you think that if a convicted felon is qualified for a job he should be allowed to perform said job?? Unless his crime was related to the job!! Do you think that if more felons were to perform higher paying jobs that the CHANCE of them re-offending will be reduced??

Granted if his heart is not in this it will do more harm than good, but shouldn't he atleast have atleast one chance at redemption?? Now if he re-offends and proves to all that he is not capable of change than I could agree with all of you.
Johnny

Tecumseh, KS

#3086 Jul 18, 2009
Marion wrote:
Many people wrote that boy's home as we are not the only ones that feel this way either. He wouldn't get thru the door at MOST boys clubs. that director probably attended his dogfights
I wrote it

Since: Apr 08

Glenview, IL

#3087 Jul 23, 2009
No_More_Rexcuses wrote:
<quoted text>You may want to re-check your stats.....or at least know what you're talking about. I would be willing to bet that his numbers are better than a lot of guys playing today. Grossman and Orton come to mind ...and any QB in Minnesota.
As far as your breakdown of how his speed may not be a factor anymore..You couldn't be more wrong. Ever hear of the wildcat formation? Thats specifically why teams would want him! He rushed for over 1,000 yards in a season , AS A QB!!!! Pull your head out kid!
lol people forget that Vick averaged 9 yards per carry/scramble/run attempts....most runningbacks would give there left nut for that and QB's wish they had that kinda of yardage THROWING the ball-the guy "may" possibly be washed up, but you cant hold regular stats against this guy simply because he was a hybrid player that so happened to be slotted as a QB.
There are reasons why Vick won all the accolades.

Glenview, IL

#3088 Jul 23, 2009
Flute wrote:
<quoted text>No More Rexcuses,
Michael Jackson was found not guilty of child molestation charges.
Any person can accuse any person of any crime; an accusation does not make it true. I could accuse you of being a stupid, habitual drunk driver. I know you would not like that, would you? I would have to have some proof that you are a stupid, habitual drunk driver to make a case against you to the proper authorities. Without any proof, just shut up about Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson (RIP) was found not guilty.
I do wonder about you No More Rexcuses. No More Rexcuses, I dislike you intensely. I loved Michael Jackson. I think Michael Jackson was an extremely gentle misunderstood soul. Michael Jackson is with the angels. Put down that liquor, No More Rexcues. Drive sober. And bring them back alive.
blah blah i suppose in your world O.J. Simpson was innocent also...hell..why shouldnt he be? he was a great football player after all!
James

Oriental, NC

#3089 Jul 23, 2009
Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of raping a woman last weekend. They should hang the bastard and feed him to some lions in africa.

Glenview, IL

#3090 Jul 23, 2009
<quoted text>
He's got the right to work. I just don't want to see him in
a high profile job like working in the NFL where he could
make millions of dollars and be a potential role model for kids.
He should get a job in the private sector and just go away.
your in the wrong country then gtfo please, thanks.

Glenview, IL

#3091 Jul 23, 2009
STEELCURTAIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said before the children don't idolize athletes for what they do or how they conduct themselves. They idolize them for the money athletic ability and fame. Ask any child from 5-16 who their favorite athlete is and what they do for their community, what charities they support and so forth and I am willing to bet 9 out of 10 times they will not know. If MV is reinstated you wont see kids walking around with MV jersey's saying they want to be dogfighters. One other thing if he is reinstated and changes his life around he will be a perfect mentor for children. Kind of like how an ex-alchoholic or addict is a better counselor than one who has not been.
Thats where parents come in.
Big Lou

United States

#3093 Jul 27, 2009
He's back !!!!!!!!!!

How'd that petition work?
DOWHATITDO2U2

Wyoming, MI

#3094 Jul 28, 2009
STEELCURTAIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I know what recovery is based on. Why do you think he will be rewarded?? He will be payed as you and I are for the work and knowledge of our chosen professions. Granted he will be paid more money than we are but that is the rate for that profession.
So should all convicted felons be held to low paying jobs?? Don't you think that if a convicted felon is qualified for a job he should be allowed to perform said job?? Unless his crime was related to the job!! Do you think that if more felons were to perform higher paying jobs that the CHANCE of them re-offending will be reduced??
Granted if his heart is not in this it will do more harm than good, but shouldn't he atleast have atleast one chance at redemption?? Now if he re-offends and proves to all that he is not capable of change than I could agree with all of you.
Mike Vick was very humble and grateful in his statement to Goodell after his reinstatement. If that is any indication of his future, then he is going to be okay. He is also going to help discourage other youths from participating in dogfighting activities.

Glenview, IL

#3098 Jul 30, 2009
Big Lou wrote:
He's back !!!!!!!!!!
How'd that petition work?
probally wont land a gig in the NFL till close to the end of training camp but it would be extremely unlikely it would be a starting spot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Ryan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Falcons' Kyle Shanahan temporarily loses gamepl... Feb '17 TakesPharts 2
News Video game simulation has New England rallying ... Feb '17 SimulationPharts 2
News Column: A preview of things to expect during Su... Jan '17 DuringPharts 3
News Atlanta hangs on to beat Eagles on Monday Night... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 1
News Atlanta Falcons: Schedule Not As Easy As It Looks (May '15) May '15 tom wingo 2
News Bill Parcells Left Miami Dolphins Because Of St... (Oct '14) Nov '14 Walter 35
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
More from around the web