Will Matt Cassel be bargain or bust f...

Will Matt Cassel be bargain or bust for Chiefs?

There are 42 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Will Matt Cassel be bargain or bust for Chiefs?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

What do you suppose a team would be willing to give up in trade for a 26-year-old player who last year guided his team to 11 victories, ranked eighth in passing yards and 10th in passer rating? A first-round ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 09

Northridge, CA

#1 Feb 28, 2009
Looks like the Chiefs know what they're doing, unlike Angelo and Lovie.
WI Bear

Somerset, WI

#2 Feb 28, 2009
I think if Tom Brady hasn't recovered 110% from his surgery, Belicheat will be found floating face down in Boston Harbor.

So gang, any chance we might land TJ Howsawhatshisname?
Voice of Reality

Colonial Heights, VA

#3 Mar 1, 2009
I think that the people in Kansas City will find out that Matt Cassel was more a product of a system than he is an individual talent. I hated to see the Pats let him go, however, in today's NFL you can not afford two top of the line type salary type Q-Backs and stay under the cap. I am not sure that Brady is completely recovered or that he will EVER be completely recovered, however, NOBODY can question the run he has already had at running one of the most proficient teams in history.
MR KENNEDY

Rensselaer, IN

#5 Mar 1, 2009
That is amazing that this kid played as well as he did last year.It sounds like he is the primary backup on whatever team he has played for.The Chiefs stole him.
jables

Winter Garden, FL

#6 Mar 1, 2009
I still don't understand why they would need to "dump" his salary...they tagged him, what, like two weeks ago??? Why didn't they just let him go on his own? Once again the Patriots flaunt the rules just because they can (when you tag a player are you are not supposed to trade him within that year).
John

Elmhurst, IL

#7 Mar 1, 2009
There was no "dumping" of anyone's salary here. They tagged Cassel to get some value out of him in trade.

The Patriots did not extort a first round pick out of Chiefs because Scott Pioli is Bill Belichick's bumpal. Belichick would never give that huge discount to any random GM.
Eddie

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#8 Mar 1, 2009
The ridiculous thing is, the Patriots could have gotten the Buc's 12th pick, and turned it down for the 34th!?
The bizarre world of Belicheck
Kevin

Elk Grove Village, IL

#9 Mar 1, 2009
Uh...Vrabel AND Cassel for the 34th pick. Yeah I think that's worth the risk for a very bad team. Despite the system, at least Cassell proved he could play QB in the NFL. Darfting QB is a much bigger risk. Especially with the 3rd pick.
Jopa-n

Highspire, PA

#10 Mar 1, 2009
Forget Cassel. Word out of Denver is that the Broncos new boss wants his former QB back more than having Cutler! Here's the amazing part- the former QB aint named Brady! Quick! Get on the line to Denver. You might be able to get Cutler for Cassell. Biggest bargin in NFL history!
Robert

Plano, TX

#11 Mar 1, 2009
Yeah the Bears couldn't have used Cassell or Vrabel...oh right.

How could we have not been in the bidding for this?? What are you doing Angelo??
Mel

United States

#12 Mar 1, 2009
What is everyone so down on the Cassel trade to KC. KC gets a bargain and New England gets cap relief. This is nothing. The worst qb trade forever remains the Bears getting Rick Mirer from the Seahawks for 2, count'em 2, 1st round draft picks. At least you can't pin that on Jerry Angelo.
Fact-O-Life

Chandler, AZ

#13 Mar 1, 2009
Hmmm...I'm confused?! Didn't the Bears have a need for a quality QB?!#@ Why was there no mention of the Bears showing any interest for Cassell??? Is this the "twilight zone"?? Hmmm...this has to be a nightmare, I'll go back to sleep now....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Chad

Spartanburg, SC

#14 Mar 1, 2009
I like how the bears beat writers all try hard to downplay this. WHAT ARE THE BEARS DOING TO GET BETTER???

What they couldn't have used a legit young QB for a second round pick? They have major needs on the offensive line and all they can get is some buster who has started one game?

So far the bears get an F- this offseason.
jeff conyers

Nashville, TN

#15 Mar 1, 2009
I think we true Fans know. The patriots wasn't going to keep Brady and Cassel. And Brady had more more suuport and leverage. He a Super Bowl leader and champ.
And Cassel by doing good. Made his repitation known by his action. Too bad other Quarterbacks don't make a statement to keep a team winning.
FW Bears Fan

Dallas, TX

#16 Mar 1, 2009
We don't need a quality QB, we already have...........Orton remember. Oh lord it's going to be a long 2009 season.
Dean

Libertyville, IL

#17 Mar 1, 2009
I would have had no problem with the Bears going after Cassel, but not if they are going to get stuck with a $14.65 million cap hit.

Keep in mind, he's on a one year deal, so if he plays well, he'll be back on the market next year with the likelihood of an uncapped year in 2010--no way the Bears would have signed him. If he doesn't play well, the Chiefs just gave up more than 10% of their 2009 cap space to a bust.

Cassel does not come without a lot of risk. I agree the Bears need to address QB and address it now. I just don't believe that Matt Cassel is anyone's long-term answer.
Coach Killer

Lake Zurich, IL

#18 Mar 1, 2009
If they get a good system around Cassel with some good receivers he will play fine and the deal will be a steal for the Chiefs. A second round pick is peanuts to pay for a solid starting NFL quarterback.....as long as you are willing to pay his hefty salary this year of course. And if he does play well the Chiefs will be happy to sign him to a long term deal.

"Not many teams looking for a QB". Is Pompei delusional?? AT LEAST 10 teams need an upgrade at starter AND back up. More than half the teams in league need an upgrade at starter and many others with a proven starter still need a legitimate back up like New England now, Green Bay, etc.

That's why I can't wait to see where Grossman ends up.
Fact-O-Life

Chandler, AZ

#19 Mar 1, 2009
Well, I guess these "Evil Guinesses", Lovie and Angelo, have something up there sleeve. Oh, I get it now, they are gonna go with Hanie at QB...GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!
rasul duke

East Moline, IL

#20 Mar 1, 2009
The Bears were not even willing to go after this guy?:you got to be kidding, what a steal!!
Maclinat18

Boston, MA

#21 Mar 1, 2009
Am I the only one that smells something fishy here? Scott Poili was the VP of player personel for the Pats for the last 9 yrs and now that he becomes GM for the Chiefs he gets the bargian of the century for 2 of his former players. Like Dan said, Pats shoulda got at least a 1st and 3rd for Cassel alone, much less for a veteran and proven LB like Vrabel. Seems to me that maybe Pioli had some info on the pats, perhaps something to create another scandel in Boston, and this was a payoff to keep quiet. The pats could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Vrabel, and they just throw in Cassel for the heck of it? I know he had a huge contract, but they could have gotten alot more for him had they wanted. This just smells really fishy to me, especially coming from the Patriots, who have already been caught cheating twice in the last 18 months

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Cassel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teddy Bridgewater's future debated in ESPN roun... (Jul '15) Dec '15 Fart news 19
News Jerry Jones thinks Romo has 4-5 years left (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fart news 2
News Bills 'pull out the stops' for former Vikings f... (Mar '15) Mar '15 The Bill Pill 3
News 2014 NFL mock draft: Vikings select Teddy Bridg... (Apr '14) Dec '14 The Fart Father 15
News Get On The Vikings Bandwagon (Jun '14) Dec '14 Explosive Diarrhea 60
News Vikings Fall to 4-7, Where Can We Point The Fin... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Larry 6
News Ready Or Not, It's Teddy Time In Minnesota (Sep '14) Oct '14 Laughing Bear Fan 58
More from around the web