Tom Powers: There is no room for a fr...

Tom Powers: There is no room for a free spirit (Cutler) in the ...

There are 143 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 1, 2009, titled Tom Powers: There is no room for a free spirit (Cutler) in the .... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Quarterback Jay Cutler #6 of the Denver Broncos prepares to face the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome on November 16, 2008 in Atlanta, Georgia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Taylor N

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Apr 1, 2009
This is one of the best articles I've read in awhile! Please keep this sarcastic tone when speaking of the Vikings, because, as we all know, they deserve no free ride when they're going to choke year in and year out (and by choke, I mean have irresponsible coaching methodology).
FIRE CHILDRESS

Shakopee, MN

#2 Apr 1, 2009
That's all. Just fire him.
1LT from 101st Airborne

Calhoun, LA

#4 Apr 1, 2009
This article says it all. Nice work Thomas.
rickok

Victoria, MN

#5 Apr 1, 2009
if they did not get this guy or the team will never get a staduim or will sell out again . this the move that will seal the future of this team in minnesota . what more needs to be said . i offer my help to pack them up now for the move to another state ! please listen team get this guy now!
FtheBaldheadedcl own

Elk River, MN

#6 Apr 1, 2009
I agree with Taylor if we have Cutler we'd have a shot at the superbowl with our D and running game. It'd would be nice to pick up a compliment to Berrian as well.
Sam

Mankato, MN

#7 Apr 1, 2009
Powers, this article is pathetic. How many Super Bowls have the Vikings won with all of their "character" guys? The answer is zero. At some point, a player's skill, especially at a prime position, should outweigh all else. If the Vikings don't add Cutler, they're going to be just as mediocre as they've been for generations. But you're right, I think we'd all rather settle for another wasted season than bring in an ultra-talented 25-year old QB because he's a free spirit.

As crazy as it sounds, I think the Vikings would be better off with a free-spirited QB. Chilly has proven he has no idea how to run an offense...let alone coach. I would be ecstatic if the Vikes were facing 3rd and 15 and Cutler decided to throw, even if the coaches said to run it and settle for a punt. Then again, with Cutler at QB, the Vikes likely won't be facing as many 3rd and 15s as they have in recent years. You see, Cutler has a quality that Vikings QB's have lacked since Daunte's golden years: He can throw the ball.

Oh, and don't worry about the coaches losing control should a free spirit like Cutler come in. Chilly lost control of this team in his first year as head coach. I'm not sure why he's still around.
zach

Burnsville, MN

#8 Apr 1, 2009
Tom,

You got paid to write this? You are an idiot!! With Jay the Vikings are a Superbowl contender! Why would we want him? Cause he partys and wants loyalty? Get a clue pal
erica

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 1, 2009
Aren't you forgetting the " Love Boat" incident
fire childress

Elk River, MN

#10 Apr 1, 2009
childress does not want advice--well Minnesota Fans are here to give it free--childress leave Minnesota before the start of the season--we'd all be happier--you are a loser of a coach..You have no idea how to run a football program--and with your mindset don't even know how to tell a 1st string QB from a 3rd string QB..bye the way t-jackson is a 3rd string and Sage is a 2nd string( a good back-up but not a 1st string like Culter). One of these days your going to get whats coming to you--your walking papers--hopefully more sooner than later..childress we don't want or respect you--get out and stay out..from the fans of the Minnesota Vikings
zach

Burnsville, MN

#11 Apr 1, 2009
LT go jump out of a plane. you are an idiot to. go back to franklin
kamora187

Denver, CO

#12 Apr 1, 2009
Childress the clown has already said that he does not care what the fans think, he is going to do what he wants "because that is how he puts food on the table". Well azzhole, who do you think pays for that food on your table? The fans that you just pissed off with that statement! Better wise up Chilly/Wilf! Getting Cutler is a no brainer..The only reason that we got to where we did last season was because of the talent on the team short of QB, Gus did a good job but TJ is sh!t and needs to sit on the bench. With the talent that is on this team and Cutler tossing the rock we would easliy make the playoffs!There should really be some sort of public rally to show that fans dont agree with Childress, and want him out now! I will book my flight now.
Norseman69

Mesa, AZ

#13 Apr 1, 2009
The argument that the coaching staff does not want Cutler is accurate. Why would you a coach and draft team want egg on their face by selecting Jackson who by the way does not have the quick aptitude wisdom & intelligence let alone leadership to read defenses and lead a team.

Heck, If I was Wilf I would take control of the situation get Cutler and then have Shanahan or Cowher waiting in the wings for next year. The last leader was a man named Grant!

Don't tell me a coaching staff can not turn around a team to get to the super bowl quickly there are too many examples to the contrary. I have been a die hard Vikings fan since 1969 (and I have never lived in Minnesota). Maybe they (Vikings/NFL) really want to under perform so they can move the team to L.A. the current contract is running out quickly and quietly...Hmmm..

The Vikings even if they advance to the playoffs will not be a solid long term organizations until the ownership has the passionate energy to do what ever it takes to get the job done..(look at the owners of Dallas & New England etc.)

The Vikings will NOT be in the super bowl this season and that is the only objective..
Steve

United States

#14 Apr 1, 2009
I was going to reply that you were crazy when I read the head line. Great article.
joe

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Apr 1, 2009
thanks Mcdork for screwing up the broncos for the next 5 years. i hope the vikings will get Cutler.
He's a good quarterback.I hope he succeeds wherever he goes and proves how stupid MCfly was.Cutler deserved to be treated better.
Norseman69

Mesa, AZ

#16 Apr 1, 2009
Hey remember Carter a malcontent...all he did was catch touch downs!
Scott

United States

#17 Apr 1, 2009
Sounds Great. Let's pick up Terrell Owens while we're at it.
El Guapo

Toronto, Canada

#18 Apr 1, 2009
Tom - I can't believe Sam and Zach took your words literally. I'd like to thank you for pointing out Childress's little man complex and inept offense.

Let's face it, this team is going to implode this season and I can't wait to see it. They have put way too much faith in a guy who had no prior head coaching or offensive play calling experience prior to this team. This guy has no imagination and needs to lose the play sheet that he covers his mouth with...he only uses 5 plays anyway.

When I heard that there are people in the organization that aren't sold on Cutler I just about fell of my chair laughing. We're talking about the same clowns that drafted Tavaris freakin Jackson out of DivII to start on a veteran team. They're sold on this guy but not a Pro Bowl quarterback. You really can't make that up!!!

These guys have no chance as long as Chilly is in charge PERIOD.
Mark

Minot, ND

#19 Apr 1, 2009
Apparently some people don't understand what sarcasmn is, the tone of the article is saying that the Vikings would be better off with Cutler. Good article, good point, probably won't happen. There is no way we make two good trades in two consecutive years, first getting Allen, and now getting Cutler. It's ridiculous though, you aren't going to find even close to an impact player of Cutler's caliber in the next few drafts, much less this one.
well

Chandler, AZ

#20 Apr 1, 2009
Mr powers you are a lier and not being up front with the people who read your articles.

Cutler does NOT know how to mutter!
Brett Fahrve

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Apr 1, 2009
Trade Rosencrantz, Gildenstern, Jackson, and 2 draft picks for Cutler.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Birk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Many still chasing the NFL dream at veterans co... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Fake IP Land 3
News Former NFL players now on other side, working f... (Mar '15) Mar '15 New Career Challenge 1
News Vikings to honor Birk before final Metrodome ga... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News San Diego haze? Te'o set to meet new teammates (May '13) May '13 PEE PEE PETE 1
News Baltimore Ravens determined to hold on to Ed Reed (Mar '13) Mar '13 Eddie rice 1
News Ravens to Cut Top Tackler Bernard Pollard in Ro... (Mar '13) Mar '13 datgovernment 2
News Randy Moss or Matt Birk will win SB Xlvii (Jan '13) Feb '13 Downer 45 16
More from around the web