Bob Sansevere: Vikings aren't far fro...

Bob Sansevere: Vikings aren't far from the top. Here's what the...

There are 30 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 5, 2009, titled Bob Sansevere: Vikings aren't far from the top. Here's what the.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

If Leslie Frazier doesn't take a head-coaching job or his replacement isn't a dolt, the Vikings will be better on defense next season because linebacker E.J. Henderson will be back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lrwade

Batesville, IN

#21 Jan 6, 2009
Gus hit someone in stride are you kidding me. No TJ was not great on Sunday, but at least he moved around and avoided huge sacks to keep the yardage manageable. Gus would have been on his back several times. Let us not forget his four INT games.
Will from MT wrote:
I agree completely except that I don't know that Cassel is all he's cracked up to be. He's probably better than what we've got, but I don't think one season with a team that's known for it's offensive genius proves that he's worth it. But QB is the number one position that's holding us back. I don't think Jackson did us any good over the last several games, I personally would have gone back to Frerotte as soon as he was healthy. He may just be an average QB, but I don't think he would have crumbled under pressure like Jackson did. One thing is for sure, I don't want to watch any more of his scattershot throws, at least Gus could hit his receiver in stride. It looks like Chilly's staying, but I hope Wilf puts the QB decisions in someone else's hands. Maybe bring Linehan in if he's available. The offense has the personal it needs, with on exception, to be a top-ten, maybe even top-five offense. This team is on the cusp, and if the QB situation is properly addressed we will almost certainly go deep in the playoffs.
A Non Hater MN

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jan 6, 2009
This goes out to Bob Sansevere. You wouldn't know talent if it smacked you across the face. Have you always been an oustanding writer or did you grow into one? Maybe you can put the blame on the coach AKA Brad Childress or receivers AKA Troy Williamson that can't catch. Tarvaris has an arm like Dan Marino, to bad he dosen't have receivers like him. I'm a critic just like you, sometimes his decision making is suspect. You say bring in Matt Cassel but he's throwing to Wes Welker and Mr. Minnesota Randy Moss, who by the way made Dante Cullpepper look good (38% career touchdown passes). I see why your in the media instead of CEO of the Minnesota Vikings. You are praying, wishing, and hoping for the next GWH (great white hype) give him time to develope. How good can you read defenses with an Right side of the offensive line like he had or has. Can you even throw a football 30 yards in the air? Just wondering?
trav

Stillwater, MN

#23 Jan 6, 2009
so long birk! overrated for awhile now!

Since: Jan 09

Spring, TX

#24 Jan 7, 2009
I've tried so hard to like Jackson but he makes it so hard. And Gus had some awesome big time passes but those 2-4 ints a game are killer. Gotta get a QB.
BPnG

Rockville, MD

#25 Jan 7, 2009
Wow... do you watch the games? Seriously?

Peterson can catch a screen just fine... problems are 1) he can't make the first guy miss in open field the way a Westbrook can and 2) the Vikings O Line can't execute screens in terms of getting out front for blocking. We "tried" to run screens throughout the year... they were ineffective not because of dropped passes but because of blocking and other execution issues.

Birk is one of the best in the game? He's had a great career, but lets be realistic about this. His game has definitely deteriorated. If you want to call him the QB of the line then you have to blame him for the O Line's complete underachievement this year. We have far too much invested for the level of performance we received. They couldn't pass block, couldn't pick up blitzes (especially delayed blitzes), and frankly did a poor job of run blocking. AD's success is far more about his abilities as a runner than our line creating massive holes for him. You want proof... look at games like the Eagles where we "needed" to run, "needed" a first down... see if the O Line could do it.

Last is the BS about QBs. If our WRs can't learn to get off the line, can't learn to get separation, can't learn to beat single coverage and our O Line can't learn to provide a pocket to step up in to, I don't care which QB you bring in, they are going to struggle. It's easy to blame the QBs for everything but it shows a lack of analysis. BB can't get past a jam at the line, Wade couldn't beat single coverage he had the entire Eagles game, Rice hasn't figured out how to use his size, Allison apparently can't run routes (lord knows we could use his speed for separation). I'd ask a "professional" such as yourself to expend a bit more energy thinking before parroting back what you've heard on ESPN or NFLN all year long.

Our needs for 2009... a new WR Coach and a new O Line Coach (is Tice available? Horrible HC but great O Line coach)... with Udeze and EJ back our D will be lights out. We need an O Line that can absolutely dominate so we can impose our will with the running game in the 4th quarter of every game where we will be playing with a lead because of our D and Receivers that are able to beat the 1 on 1 coverage they'll be seeing. And seriously... an article about what needs to be improved without mentioning Special Teams? Goodness... that coach needs to find a Middle School gig.
Nick

United States

#26 Jan 7, 2009
What is Free Agency?

Essentially, free agency is a pool of free agent players. It's the market where free agents find themselves after their contract expires.

What is a Free Agent?

A free agent is a player whose contract has expired with the team he was playing with, and is therefore able to sign with another, or the same, team in the free agency market.

When can players start being signed from the '07-'08 free agency market?

Beginning at 12:01 AM ET, Friday, February 29, players can start putting their John Hancock on the dotted lines of a new contract whether it is with a new team or the same team.

Does the free agency signing period have an end date?

Yes, the '07-'08 free agency signing period ends on April 18 this year for restricted free agents; July 22 or the first scheduled day for the first NFL training camp(whichever is later) for unrestricted free agents; and for franchise players the first Tuesday after the 10th week of the season, or November 11th.

Who are "restricted" free agents?

A player is a restricted free agent after he has completed three accrued seasons in the NFL and his contract expires. Also, to be considered a restricted free agent, a player has to have received a "qualifying" offer from the NFL team he had been with prior to going onto the free agency market.(A qualifying offer is a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL League and the NFL Players
JaJaBAR

La Grange, KY

#27 Jan 7, 2009
Affula wrote:
I still don't understand why people hate childress so much after years of mike tice.
Wasn't it worse seeing the vikes blow huge leads?
"we finally get an owner who's willing to shell out some dough and we get a complete idiot"
Not sure how much that really matters considering there is a salary cap, and NFL teams don't gain much from low-balling their team salaries, as opposed to MLB teams.
Complete idiot as in standing by this coaching staff. I understand QB talent and WR talent is in demand and the pickings are slim out there. The O line was horrible at the start of the year and was at best average against the Beagles.
The Answer

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Jan 7, 2009
Sure Bob, real close. The Vikes had every break go their way this year, with gifts from officials that actually won 2 games for them, a missed FG by GB to win and every other fluke. Yet they sqeaked out the division. Vike fans seem to over-rate their talent year in and year out. 8-8 next year at best.
SSP BY

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Jan 7, 2009
All we need is a new stadium. Come on Bob, stay on message.
Yours Truly,
Mr. Wilf
Jesus Christ

Tucson, AZ

#30 Jan 7, 2009
Only bring back Birk at a reduced cost! He may be better than Tarvaris ever pans out, but that sorry a$$ low snap and countless whiff blocks prove one thing Bob! You're a HOMER WITH PURPLE BLINDERS ON! Birk is a FORMER ALL-PRO and definitely has been playing way below that standard for the last couple of seasons!

I don't want to see Sullivan start unless he legitimately deserves too! Otherwise bring Matty Boy back and treat him like every other player on the team! He's no Saviour despite you kissing his butt Sansevere!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Birk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Many still chasing the NFL dream at veterans co... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Fake IP Land 3
News Former NFL players now on other side, working f... (Mar '15) Mar '15 New Career Challenge 1
News Vikings to honor Birk before final Metrodome ga... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News San Diego haze? Te'o set to meet new teammates (May '13) May '13 PEE PEE PETE 1
News Baltimore Ravens determined to hold on to Ed Reed (Mar '13) Mar '13 Eddie rice 1
News Ravens to Cut Top Tackler Bernard Pollard in Ro... (Mar '13) Mar '13 datgovernment 2
News Randy Moss or Matt Birk will win SB Xlvii (Jan '13) Feb '13 Downer 45 16
More from around the web