Charley Walters: Former Minnesota Vik...

Charley Walters: Former Minnesota Viking Matt Birk excited abou...

There are 26 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 5, 2009, titled Charley Walters: Former Minnesota Viking Matt Birk excited abou.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A year ago, when the Vikings didn't offer to extend six-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk's contract that would expire after the 2008 season, it seemed his future in Minnesota was in jeopardy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Paul

United States

#1 Mar 5, 2009
It would have been nice if Birk stayed but it sounds as if he is happy with the new opportunity, Good luck to him and let's start praying for the new guy!
On another note.....what ever happened to the Mcnab talk? Certainly would be a great way to forget the lost vikes.
DD Austin

United States

#2 Mar 5, 2009
With Birks comments about always being a Minnesotan, and that it will always be home, it's hard to figure why he would want to move on. The only logical explanation is - Chilly gave him the cold shoulder, and wanted him gone. I still say, "Chilly to Philly!" He is not, never has been, and never will be a Vikings players and fans kind of coach. I don't know what Ziggy is thinking!
Nora

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 6, 2009
Your need to mention Joe Mauer and his contract being up soon in every column is getting a bit ridiculous. Mauer needs to be re-signed or lose him to free agency. WE GET
IT.
Randall

Urbandale, IA

#4 Mar 6, 2009
Nora, shut your filthy mouth. Charley writes what he writes. Shouldn't you be doing laundry or scrubbing floors or something?
Johnny Utah

River Edge, NJ

#5 Mar 6, 2009
Birk was a class act, but he's past his prime and had too many bad snaps last year. Our Running game straight up the gut was awful mainly because matty B was getting pancaked by guys bigger than him. We need some meat-heads in this years draft.
This is the way I see it.

Round 1) WR (Harvin or Maclin or Nicks would be nice)
Round 2) Meathead
Round 3) Meathead
Round 4) Meathead
Round 5) CB or QB
Round 6) Meathead
Round 7) CB or meathead
40for60

Duluth, MN

#6 Mar 6, 2009
Johnny Utah wrote:
Birk was a class act, but he's past his prime and had too many bad snaps last year. Our Running game straight up the gut was awful mainly because matty B was getting pancaked by guys bigger than him. We need some meat-heads in this years draft.
Round 2) Meathead
Round 3) Meathead
Round 4) Meathead
Round 5) CB or QB
Round 6) Meathead
Round 7) CB or meathead
Birk is over 300 pounds, I think it still has something to do with his hips.
We do need some O line help, Herrera will be fine, as will McKinnie and Hutch. Sullivan and whomever replaces Cook are the question marks.
Sid H

Pleasant Prairie, WI

#7 Mar 6, 2009
I agree with Nora. Charlie just wants his cut being the player's agent in the newspaper. If Joe M wants to leave for more money, so be it. But I'm tired of CW always throwing out these absurd numbers. Take another vacation Charlie.
Justice

Owatonna, MN

#8 Mar 6, 2009
Can't blame the guy for wanting to leave. As a center would you rather snap to Joe Flacco whom looks to be a great prospect, or Tavi "the bust" Jackson and Sage "career backup"? If you can't throw for more than 160 yards with the best RB in the game in the backfield it's a no brainer there!
Obviously he feels that Klink and company will continue to look like idiots on Sundays and probably feels that Baltimore is a lot closer to the big game than Minnesota.
Time will tell if he made the right decision.
Vikings Odds

Stafford, VA

#10 Mar 6, 2009
The Vikes are actually 16-1; Pack 25-1
Rasmussen

United States

#11 Mar 6, 2009
It can be argued that Walters is a younger version of Hartman...
Shikenjanski

United States

#12 Mar 6, 2009
Wow Charley, you can stop humping Birk's leg anytime now!
JStone

Melrose, MN

#13 Mar 6, 2009
Randall .. you seem smart & sexist, nice combo....
JnJ

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Mar 6, 2009
It's nice to see the vikes opened up a nice big hole in the O-line for defenses to crush AP. Maybe they can injure him before midseason. And Mauer should go to the Orioles, it would be so poetic. They could start the Cretin east club.
Dennis

Bismarck, ND

#15 Mar 6, 2009
Well I guess we can close the book on this one.
Ron Mexico

Atlanta, GA

#16 Mar 6, 2009
Thanks Shooter! You always break the big stories, and you never get a bad lead! You're the best.
ZekeDog

Eden Prairie, MN

#17 Mar 6, 2009
Johnny Utah wrote:
Round 2) Meathead
Round 3) Meathead
Round 4) Meathead
Round 5) CB or QB
Round 6) Meathead
Round 7) CB or meathead
The only meathead posting is you. Birk is a class act, the meathead head coach doesn't think so, and so off he goes to Balt. Too bad for Vikes, they will regret not signing Birk last season or this off season. Porous O-line now.
Jimmy the Greek

Richardson, TX

#18 Mar 6, 2009
Matt Birk's gone so Joe Mauer must be going too?

You know, that's exactly what I thought, when Matt Birk signed with the Ravens. Gee, I hope Joe doesn't go too (sniff, sniff).
17kom

United States

#19 Mar 6, 2009
DD Austin wrote:
With Birks comments about always being a Minnesotan, and that it will always be home, it's hard to figure why he would want to move on. The only logical explanation is - Chilly gave him the cold shoulder, and wanted him gone. I still say, "Chilly to Philly!" He is not, never has been, and never will be a Vikings players and fans kind of coach. I don't know what Ziggy is thinking!
Hey, Don't try reading something into Birks remarks...he just wanted a change and the excitment of being sought after by another team. Yeah, probably his thoughts turned to his expiring contract and why the Vikes didn't get it done before this; but I think all in all, the move is what Birk wanted and like he said it had nothing to do with Childress. look how many players need a spark to their careers by moving on to another team...
flafan

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Mar 6, 2009
"Matt Birk's free-agent departure from the Vikings for the Ravens already has some people wondering if another Cretin-Derham Hall grad, Joe Mauer, would move from the Twins to the Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees "......now that's great journalism...."Some people".
elvis presley

Minnetonka, MN

#21 Mar 6, 2009
another great column by upchuck. the homerest of the homers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Birk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Many still chasing the NFL dream at veterans co... Mar '15 Fake IP Land 3
News Former NFL players now on other side, working f... Mar '15 New Career Challenge 1
News Vikings to honor Birk before final Metrodome ga... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News San Diego haze? Te'o set to meet new teammates (May '13) May '13 PEE PEE PETE 1
News Baltimore Ravens determined to hold on to Ed Reed (Mar '13) Mar '13 Eddie rice 1
News Ravens to Cut Top Tackler Bernard Pollard in Ro... (Mar '13) Mar '13 datgovernment 2
News Randy Moss or Matt Birk will win SB Xlvii (Jan '13) Feb '13 Downer 45 16
More from around the web