Bob Sansevere: Turnovers blow Minnesota Vikings' plot line

There are 20 comments on the Dec 21, 2008, TwinCities.com story titled Bob Sansevere: Turnovers blow Minnesota Vikings' plot line. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Tarvaris Jackson almost rallied the Vikings. Almost. Jackson's fouth-and-16 pass with 56 seconds to play ricocheted off Sidney Rice's chest, assuring the Atlanta Falcons a 24-17 victory Sunday over the Vikings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“wtf”

Since: Oct 08

Isanti, MN

#1 Dec 21, 2008
Turnovers were the story of this game, that's for sure.

what a disappointing (albeit almost expected) performance with a division title on the line. God I hate wanting the Pukers to win...
Clancy

AOL

#2 Dec 21, 2008
Troy Williamson,"hands of stone." Adrian Peterson, "loose vise grip."I know I shouldn't complain, I couldn't hold on to a foot ball if I were the only one on the field running with it, but then, I'm not a football player, I'm just an arm chair sports fan that see's the same things every game, and it does get very frustrating.
It's not possible for all the teams to be a winner, but it would sure be nice to be one after 40 some years.
40for60

Duluth, MN

#3 Dec 21, 2008
Adrian is taking it hard, and that's a good thing. He ran into McKinnie and lost the ball, I would have sat him after that one. TJ put up better numbers than Ryan, but TJ keeps getting ripped by the fans. Matt fumbled too, but with Sharper and Griffin whiffing on the ball, Atlanta got lucky and ended up with 6.
Childress is right, forget the rest of the game, the story of this one was turnovers.
vikingsfan

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 21, 2008
This game was a loss and a win at the same time. The loss was, of course the loss we get, and the fumbles. The win though was that now we know were a better team than the Falcons, they got EXTREMELY lucky today. Without those fumbles they would have gotten dominated. Even if we had maybe even 2 or 3 fumbles, we still could have won, but 4 lost fumbles is basically giving up the ball every other time you get on offense. Most fumbles aren't caused because of bad luck, but comon, 7 fumbles?!? 2 or 3 of those had to have been bad luck.
Also, they could hardly run, with the 2nd leading rusher in the league and Matt Ryan didn't put up stellar stats either. If or when we do face them again(maybe in the playoffs), they won't get as lucky as they did today
ZygiZag

Ghent, MN

#5 Dec 21, 2008
The coaches, offensive players including AD and TJ , special teams all had a hand in this one. Defense did real well gien the position it was put in. The only beef is that they did not created any turnovers. I think they got a bit overconfidnet with their big victoyr over Arizona (which is a team without a division to win.
QUESTION 1: Who starts next week if the we need the win to get in? TJ had good throws and runs, but how many times did he take off too soon. How many times did he not go past his 1st target. Where the recievers that covered or did he not see them. When he got blitzed crazy late and had guy open he could not hit them. GF might of made some of those crazy blitzed throws to an opend reciever, but he might of gotten sacked a lot more too.
QUESTION 2 If the VIKES go 9-7 but miss the play-offs especially if they get creamed by the Giants, does Chilli keep his job?
QUESTION 3 Can AD hold on to the ball and the WALL return and TJ or GF be good enough to make a run at the Superbowl if we get in the play-offs?
QUESTION 4 Is it possable the the Pack could win Monday but loose next Sunday?
Final thought. Chilli talked a good bit to the Falcons Head Coach after the game. Questions Chilli might have been asking? How is it you got your QB to be so good so fast? How is it you turned a team totally around in one year and I am on my third year after taking over a team that a lot of good things going for it?
I'm not rooting for the Packers on MOnday night I am rooting against the Bears. Let me enjoy the holidays a bit more.
Soda_Queens

Chesapeake, VA

#6 Dec 22, 2008
First to ZigZag:
1.)TJ -
2.)Yes -
3.)Yes-Not sure about Fat Pat- TJ When we make the playoffs.

Screw the Packers ! I'll just root for the Vikings next week against the G-boys to clinch the North.

TJ has matured to be the QB we all wanted week one, we had a perfect storm of mistakes yesterday but still kept playing hard and just came up short. Anybody that watched the game knew that the Falcons were lucky to escape with a win. Start to believe my Viking brethren, we are the real deal ! I predict we make a sweet run in the playoffs, making it to the NFC Championship game.
Soda_Queens

Chesapeake, VA

#7 Dec 22, 2008
Oh.....By the way. What were the fans in the roller dome thinking ?? Letting the Falcons run a hurry up in the first quarter ? letting the kid call plays at the line of scrimmage. Where was the noise ? Everybody wants to talk bad about Childress but our own faithful fans allow the other team to come in and do that. It was almost like a wine and cheese crowd.
40for60

Duluth, MN

#8 Dec 22, 2008
Soda_Queens wrote:
Oh.....By the way. What were the fans in the roller dome thinking ?? Letting the Falcons run a hurry up in the first quarter ? letting the kid call plays at the line of scrimmage. Where was the noise ? Everybody wants to talk bad about Childress but our own faithful fans allow the other team to come in and do that. It was almost like a wine and cheese crowd.
Agreed, even the announcers were saying that the fans were not in this one from the get go, and then saying Atlanta took the fans out of it. Well, which one was it?
I've said it before, we don't have the fans here worthy of a Super Bowl, yesterday all but proved it.
Big Al

Clearlake Oaks, CA

#9 Dec 22, 2008
The Vikings have played some pretty good football but they have been prone to big mistakes like interceptions, fumbles, blocked kicks, untimely penalties and long kick returns. These things happen to all football teams, even the best. But the best donít have these things happen very often. Is it just luck or is there something the best teams do that the others donít?
Gen Burkhalter

Malibu, CA

#10 Dec 22, 2008
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, even the announcers were saying that the fans were not in this one from the get go, and then saying Atlanta took the fans out of it. Well, which one was it?
I've said it before, we don't have the fans here worthy of a Super Bowl, yesterday all but proved it.
I think the fans were waiting for the team to show it's true colors and the VIkes didn't disappoint.
Gerry

Neillsville, WI

#11 Dec 22, 2008
We are left to hope Chicago looses tonight, if Chicago wins tonight and the Vikes have to win next week I think we all know what is in store for us Vike fans.
AzCat

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Dec 22, 2008
I think they need to give AP a football to carry around with him all day, to work, to lunch, to the bathroom; and have people randomly lunge out and try to strip the ball from him suddenly, out of the blue. Just, keep him on his toes, focused, on carrying the ball like a baby in his hands not a loaf of bread.

Secondly.... Bernard Berrian has NO BUSINESS being a kickoff returner. NONE.
kat

River Falls, WI

#13 Dec 22, 2008
Migz420 wrote:
Turnovers were the story of this game, that's for sure.
what a disappointing (albeit almost expected) performance with a division title on the line. God I hate wanting the Pukers to win...
Oh that's ok...we don't want a true blue purple fan like you cheering for our team anyway. See, win or lose I will always love my team. Even when they trade the biggest qb ever...
twinky

Marshall, MN

#14 Dec 22, 2008
I was at the game yesterday and I thought the noise in the dome was good. I don't know what the commentators were hearing but it was loud in there. As far as Tjack, he played great. He had the fumble which was bad but otherwise played a great game. There is oblivously some chemistry problems between him and AP when it comes to handoffs. If chili would have just called some decent plays at the beginning of the season, Tjack could have stayed starting QB and the chemistry would be there. The Falcons better thank their lucky stars, we had 4 turnovers and they still only won by seven points. When we make the playoffs, if we get another shot at the Falcons, they will be destroyed.
bulldogdutch

United States

#15 Dec 22, 2008
if we could've avoided 2 of those turnovers we would have won that game .
Sense

Duluth, MN

#16 Dec 22, 2008
Gen Burkhalter wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the fans were waiting for the team to show it's true colors and the VIkes didn't disappoint.
65,000 people with a premonition is a bit scary, Most must have been lifelong fans like us. LOL
ZygiZag

Ghent, MN

#17 Dec 22, 2008
Maybe it took a while for the fans to thaw out.
Jay

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Dec 22, 2008
Before the fumbles and bad play began...Fox announcers kept saying the crowd is not fired up. They would say; The fans are just not pumped up or excited like a playoff bound team they are. Do you see why now? Vikings fans aren't as stupid as you think. They know this franchise does nothing but choke when it matters! People will never learn.... At least the Detroit Lions are consistant and don't get the fans hopes up.
Jay

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Dec 22, 2008
twinky wrote:
I was at the game yesterday and I thought the noise in the dome was good. I don't know what the commentators were hearing but it was loud in there. As far as Tjack, he played great. He had the fumble which was bad but otherwise played a great game. There is oblivously some chemistry problems between him and AP when it comes to handoffs. If chili would have just called some decent plays at the beginning of the season, Tjack could have stayed starting QB and the chemistry would be there. The Falcons better thank their lucky stars, we had 4 turnovers and they still only won by seven points. When we make the playoffs, if we get another shot at the Falcons, they will be destroyed.
T Jack fumbled 3 times, not once. He does not belong in there. Accuracy is not even close to Ferotte and he has no composure with pressure. 7 fumbles in the game!!! Count them 7... The defense had an opertunity to fall on the ball from a Shaw fumble in the enzone for an easy 6 points. What did they do instead? Instead of falling on the ball for 6 points he pushes it over to a Falcon player with his arm. Playoffs you say... Guess what Bears beat the Packers tonight.
twinky

Marshall, MN

#20 Dec 23, 2008
hey jay,
Tjack is a young guy playing on a big stage. Lets not forget that Gus was leading the league in interceptions, while he was playing. oh yeah and Tjack racked up 77 yards rushing, does Gus even have 77 career rushing yards? Tjack's accuracy was great Sunday, he threw a couple of passes off target, but for the most part, put the ball in some tight areas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Birk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Many still chasing the NFL dream at veterans co... Mar 30 Fake IP Land 3
News Former NFL players now on other side, working f... Mar '15 New Career Challenge 1
News Vikings to honor Birk before final Metrodome ga... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News San Diego haze? Te'o set to meet new teammates (May '13) May '13 PEE PEE PETE 1
News Baltimore Ravens determined to hold on to Ed Reed (Mar '13) Mar '13 Eddie rice 1
News Ravens to Cut Top Tackler Bernard Pollard in Ro... (Mar '13) Mar '13 datgovernment 2
News Randy Moss or Matt Birk will win SB Xlvii (Jan '13) Feb '13 Downer 45 16
More from around the web