Tarvaris Jackson's calm was just what Vikings needed Sunday vs....

Former Vikings quarterback Rich Gannon, now an analyst for CBS Sports, said the way Tarvaris Jackson led the Vikings to a comeback victory Sunday could be just what the young player needs to boost his ... Full Story
Kevin

Fulton, NY

#1 Dec 10, 2008
More time on the bench learning the pro game is what Tarvaris needed LAST season. Maybe being benched in week two was the best thing that could have happened to him. After Sundays 2nd half performance there may be hope for him yet..and the playoffs...

SKOL VIKINGS!
Archangel

Saint Cloud, MN

#2 Dec 10, 2008
Hopefully, riding the bench did help. That's the way it was supposed to be from the beginning anyway.#2 learning behind a vet. My only concerns, really, are when he speaks publically he comes across as a "I, Me, Mine" type player. Not so much as a team player. Hopefully, I'm just mis-reading it.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3 Dec 10, 2008
Kevin wrote:
More time on the bench learning the pro game is what Tarvaris needed LAST season. Maybe being benched in week two was the best thing that could have happened to him. After Sundays 2nd half performance there may be hope for him yet..and the playoffs...
SKOL VIKINGS!
Kevin I couldn't have said it better myself. Great stuff.
Justice

Owatonna, MN

#4 Dec 10, 2008
Lets see how good he looks when the Cards have all week to prepare for him!
We can expext 10 men in the box; can TJ make them pay? We will find out soon.
Whatever

Chambersburg, PA

#5 Dec 10, 2008
Has he been declared the starter this week?

Whomever the QB is this week is not going to do much. Ball control is going to be the focal point. We want to keep Kurt, Larry, and 'quan off the field as much as possible. The Vikings would be nuts to try to make this a shoot out.
Ur a WHAT

Savage, MN

#6 Dec 10, 2008
sure, whatever, tj is our savior, blah blah blah
Baguak

Peoria, AZ

#7 Dec 10, 2008
Ur a WHAT wrote:
sure, whatever, tj is our savior, blah blah blah
I dont think anyone said that, which makes your comment even more pathetic...
purplehaze

Toronto, Canada

#8 Dec 10, 2008
as whatever noted...no matter who is at the helm on sunday, the team will have its work cut out for it...getting involved in a gunslinging match is the worst thing the vikes can do. as for tj...i hope if he plays he does well ( i have bashed the kid a lot also; but he did the job last sunday, so who knows): having said that, his, "i, me" comments as arch noted is a concern...maybe it's a lack of maturity on his part, but given he still hasn't spoken to gus about his benching, leaves me wondering. furthermore, if he does play, he needs to stay within himself and not to try and do so much at one time...be patient. lastly, with this so called KAO of klink's. tj needs to keep it simple and look for his opportunity to try the occassional deep throw down field to berrian or even shiancoe ( if we can get him to stop "d i c k i n g around" on camera!!!)...here's hoping...OUT WITH KLINKO...GO VIKES!!!
Jan in Phoenix

Scottsdale, AZ

#9 Dec 10, 2008
Rich Gannon must be absolutely brain dead to even entertain the thougt that TJ will actually make it in this league. I tend to believe the meatheads on this forum that are much more aware of what it takes to make it in this league. These incredulous personalities that roam this board and hold down regular jobs, just watching football on Sundays should know infinitely more about what it takes to succeed as an NFL Quarterback. What would Rich Gannon know? He has spent the majority of his life playing and being entwined in a life of football, so what would he know?
I laugh at the so called experts who sling mud at Tarvaris, and my long term hope is that he will make all of you eat every word.

Since: Jun 08

Santa Rosa, CA

#10 Dec 10, 2008
To get AZ from keeping 8 or 9 in the box, line up with a 3 or 4 WR set to start. Chesters TD run against Det came against 7 in the box because the Vikes ran a 3 WR set. Adrian and Chester would benefit from opening up the offense as seen in the second half of the Det game. Shiancoe was open a majority of the time down the field against Det. Chilis desire to break the will of a team in the first quarter is not working and hasn't all year. Pounding AD or CT into 8/9 man fronts is allowing the Defense to dictate the pace of a game then setting up 3rd and long, putting pressure on the weakest link on the team Gus and TJ. Wade is not a #2 WR for any other team. But for some reason Chili believes he is better than Rice and Allison? Wade is neither fast or tall, two traits a wr would like to have unless your name is welker or steve smith.
Whatever

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Dec 10, 2008
Justin Sider--

I would like to thank you for acknowledging(in the game) what I have been saying since training camp. May as well note it again; Jackson plays better when the field is spread, i.e. 2nd half of Redskins and Broncos games last year and Lions on Sunday. Not only does Jackson's game improve, but the entire offense improves. I also agree with your Bobby Wade statement. Rice is the most sure handed receiver they have. He needs to be on the field.

P.S. Steve Smith may be short but he definitely is not slow. Welker has more speed than we think.
msova

Lake Ariel, PA

#12 Dec 10, 2008
I'm glad Jackson is finally getting a chance to play. For better or worse, we need to find out what the kid can do. Even if Frerotte can stay upright long enough to get the Vikes into the playoffs, they wouldn't last long with him under center. With Frerotte, defenses know exactly what they're going to get. That's not the case with Jackson. Which QB gives the Vikings a better chance to win? Honestly, I'm not sure. Gus hasn't played especially well but he has managed to win more often than not. Jackson played very well for one half last Sunday. Does that mean he has matured? We may find out this weekend.
Johnny Utah

River Edge, NJ

#13 Dec 10, 2008
P.S. Steve Smith may be short but he definitely is not slow. Welker has more speed than we think.

Those were poor examples.

Bobby Wade has good hands, but thats about where his upside ends. I can't stand him or Tahi. We need to ditch these bums in the offseason. Rice needs to get his a$$ on the field, this kid was a beast at South Carolina...its time to get healthy and get back out there. My top 3 are Berrian, Rice & Allison. Speed, size and more speed. Keep wade on special teams.

I hope TJ gets the reigns and never looks back. I have seen enough of the turnover machine that is Guy Frerotte.
bulldogdutch

United States

#14 Dec 10, 2008
Vikings 41 cards 27
oxboro

Farmington, MN

#15 Dec 10, 2008
msova wrote:
I'm glad Jackson is finally getting a chance to play. For better or worse, we need to find out what the kid can do. Even if Frerotte can stay upright long enough to get the Vikes into the playoffs, they wouldn't last long with him under center. With Frerotte, defenses know exactly what they're going to get. That's not the case with Jackson. Which QB gives the Vikings a better chance to win? Honestly, I'm not sure. Gus hasn't played especially well but he has managed to win more often than not. Jackson played very well for one half last Sunday. Does that mean he has matured? We may find out this weekend.
if yuo follow the posts on here from all those wearing purple tinted glasses you will see that tjack is the second coming of Joe Montana
kstateviking

Kansas City, MO

#16 Dec 10, 2008
oxboro wrote:
<quoted text>
if yuo follow the posts on here from all those wearing purple tinted glasses you will see that tjack is the second coming of Joe Montana
There aren't, currently, any Montana's or Elways or Aikmans in the NFL. Just a bunch of hired guns and caretaker QBs. So get over it. We're not much better or worse than the NFL average at QB, with the possible exception that TJ could make a play with his legs. Or at least the threat of that possibility must be acknowledged by opposing defenses.

Since: Jun 08

Santa Rosa, CA

#17 Dec 10, 2008
Tivo or DVR's are awesome tools for watching the games. Beside speeding through 10 minutes of commercials, it allows fans to pause and rewind the game to certain plays and watch them unfold. My point is,if you recorded any of the games Frerotten played, especially Det, go back and rewatch them. I have watched them all and he has played poorly and the stats don't lie. The Vikings have won inspite of his poor play not because of him. The problem is Jackson is a head case. HE has the talent and tools, he needs to be consistent. Booty, Jackson and Gus are all that is available right now. Jackson gives the team a better chance to win then Gus. Aside from the 99 yarder to BB, no receiver gets YAC/RAC?? Why is that? Is it the play design or the way the pass is delivered? Those in favor of Gus, please explain why you think he is the better option. Fewer picks, more tds something ..
BillB St Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Dec 10, 2008
Jan in Phoenix wrote:
Rich Gannon must be absolutely brain dead to even entertain the thougt that TJ will actually make it in this league. I tend to believe the meatheads on this forum that are much more aware of what it takes to make it in this league. These incredulous personalities that roam this board and hold down regular jobs, just watching football on Sundays should know infinitely more about what it takes to succeed as an NFL Quarterback. What would Rich Gannon know? He has spent the majority of his life playing and being entwined in a life of football, so what would he know?
I laugh at the so called experts who sling mud at Tarvaris, and my long term hope is that he will make all of you eat every word.
Well my friend as your Johnboy Mccain says to all, Rick Gannon did make his life playing and living football even married the Old Vike Bill Brown's daughter. But that was then and this is now. Now he makes money paid from those who are either in the Vik system or paying the Vikes; which means to say that he cannot bad mouth or even tell the truth. Chilly is not head coach material and TJ is not ready nor ever will be. He is not SB material. Now about the folks in here who post. Shure of us are reel dummies, we talk funny, spell funny and think funny/dumb BUT know what many of us do know football.
oxboro

Farmington, MN

#19 Dec 10, 2008
kstateviking wrote:
<quoted text>There aren't, currently, any Montana's or Elways or Aikmans in the NFL. Just a bunch of hired guns and caretaker QBs. So get over it. We're not much better or worse than the NFL average at QB, with the possible exception that TJ could make a play with his legs. Or at least the threat of that possibility must be acknowledged by opposing defenses.
the 2 mannings? Drew Brees? Tony Romo?..
micah

Clinton, IA

#20 Dec 10, 2008
maybe comming off the bench for tavaris is better. so what we should do is have gus go out there have the line let everyone through then put jackson in!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Birk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vikings to honor Birk before final Metrodome ga... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
San Diego haze? Te'o set to meet new teammates (May '13) May '13 PEE PEE PETE 1
Baltimore Ravens determined to hold on to Ed Reed (Mar '13) Mar '13 Eddie rice 1
Ravens to Cut Top Tackler Bernard Pollard in Ro... (Mar '13) Mar '13 datgovernment 2
Randy Moss or Matt Birk will win SB Xlvii (Jan '13) Feb '13 Downer 45 16
CBS Celebrates Athletes Who Support 'Human Righ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 AKW 1
Hartman: Birk's ultimate goal is within his grasp (Jan '13) Jan '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
•••
•••

Matt Birk People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••