Vikings still interested in Birk

Vikings still interested in Birk

There are 31 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 20, 2009, titled Vikings still interested in Birk. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Vikings are still open to bringing back Matt Birk as their starting center, his agent said Friday at the NFL combine.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RHE

Chaska, MN

#1 Feb 21, 2009
Chilly would be a fool to let Matt go. Yes he made a mistake or two but he is the heart and soul of our offensive line.
Zig

Somerset, WI

#2 Feb 21, 2009
Sign his ass. He's not old yet and with a change at right tackle, the vikes running game will get even better. Plus, he's a Minnesotan, home of the worst legislators in history.
Mike B

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Feb 21, 2009
The Vikings need to dump Birk. He is old and only worth a fraction of what he makes. Matt Birk feels that because he's a 6 time pro bowler he's worth a monster salary. News Flash Matt! You used to be good!
40for60

United States

#4 Feb 21, 2009
Sullivan may need another year of development, or maybe he isn't the heir apparent in regards to the center position. If Birk is the best center they have, they should sign him. With the scarcity of starting centers around the league, Matt will still get a ton of money.
JnJ

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 21, 2009
He is still one of the top centers in the league. Good attitude on the field and allways a class act off the field. Doesn't need a giant raise but the Vikes would be foolish to lose him.
Santa Cruz Viking

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Feb 21, 2009
Birk, if you read these posts... PLEASE STAY!!
Waders

Tucson, AZ

#7 Feb 21, 2009
Sign him up. He's solid and a leader.
bulldogdutch

United States

#8 Feb 21, 2009
get rid of thug Mckinnie draft a young stud
BillB St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Feb 21, 2009
Matt you are just a money hungry republican. As for a player when is the last time you did a down field block ? or told the TJoke to just settle in and it will come, you know the confidence building approach ? How if you really want to play then play for $1.00 yes for one dollar or if you have to take the min then buy tickets for folks out of work to attend a game.

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

#10 Feb 21, 2009
RHE wrote:
Chilly would be a fool to let Matt go. Yes he made a mistake or two but he is the heart and soul of our offensive line.
birk aint going anywhere. i do have to ask what mistake he made though. and him and hutchinson are the heart and soul of our o-line.

Rensselaer

#11 Feb 21, 2009
bulldogdutch wrote:
get rid of thug Mckinnie draft a young stud
mckinnie is one of the best tackles in the league. the need somebody who can block for tj and shield his blind side which is exactly what him and hutchinson do. as for him being a thug, he hit a guy over the head with a metal pole, so what. hopefully he hits you over the head with one next.

Rensselaer

#12 Feb 21, 2009
Mike B wrote:
The Vikings need to dump Birk. He is old and only worth a fraction of what he makes. Matt Birk feels that because he's a 6 time pro bowler he's worth a monster salary. News Flash Matt! You used to be good!
naaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. he is still one of the top 5 centers in the league and maybe in the top 3.
Cheach

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Feb 21, 2009
Mike B wrote:
Go back to cheesehead country ding dong.
Birk is a great player, and a good person. He needs to give up forever on the restaurant game, but he's a great center and we need him bad. Especially if we end up keeping the crappy QB's we have, Birk makes them look better than they are. Without him helping the QB, telling him what the defences are doing, they'll be in trouble - particularly Tjack, he's too stupid to figure it out on his own.

Sign Birk now. He's smart, a great center, and popular as being a local guy. The vikings can't afford to keep alienating fans.
Zee

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Feb 21, 2009
Mike B wrote:
Your an idiot for believing that. Birk is the best center available.
WiVike

Chippewa Falls, WI

#15 Feb 21, 2009
Just Sign him to a 3 year deal. That gives plenty of security for the new guy. Can always cut him after next season.
RHE

Chaska, MN

#16 Feb 21, 2009
Mike B wrote:
First, he is getting up there in football age but he still is one of the best in the league. The guy has done nothing but work his tail off for this team. Keeping him on the roster would help in developing the younger talent we intend to use as his replacement. Last, I do not think he would in any way break the bank in resigning him.

He should play out his career here. Matt is a true VIKING!

Lets focus in on getting a tackle to fill the one big hole we have on the line and not create anouther hole.

Rensselaer

#17 Feb 21, 2009
WiVike wrote:
Just Sign him to a 3 year deal. That gives plenty of security for the new guy. Can always cut him after next season.
i say they should give birk a two or three year deal. that will give sullivan plenty of time to learn and believe me, he wont dissapoint.
RHE

Chaska, MN

#18 Feb 21, 2009
Jeebs wrote:
<quoted text>
birk aint going anywhere. i do have to ask what mistake he made though. and him and hutchinson are the heart and soul of our o-line.
The only thing I saw was a couple of bad snaps happens to the best of the centers. I believe the guy to be solid!!! Hutchinson is great and I mean no disrespect; but, Matt has always been a Viking and I believe him to be the leader on the offensive line.

Rensselaer

#19 Feb 21, 2009
RHE wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I saw was a couple of bad snaps happens to the best of the centers. I believe the guy to be solid!!! Hutchinson is great and I mean no disrespect; but, Matt has always been a Viking and I believe him to be the leader on the offensive line.
i understand why you say birk is the leader of line because he has spent his entire career in minnesota and hutchinson havent. i just think without one of those on the line we wouldnt do much. plus we have mt. mckinnie helping out. i believe that we easily have one of the best lines in the league because of the left side(birk, hutchinson, mckinnie).
RHE

Maple Grove, MN

#20 Feb 22, 2009
Jeebs wrote:
<quoted text>
i understand why you say birk is the leader of line because he has spent his entire career in minnesota and hutchinson havent. i just think without one of those on the line we wouldnt do much. plus we have mt. mckinnie helping out. i believe that we easily have one of the best lines in the league because of the left side(birk, hutchinson, mckinnie).
I can't argue with that!

My main concern is patching up the right side by picking up a tackle and not loosing ground by giving up Birk.

Even T Jack may have a chance of succeeding if he has protection from that side. Although I would like to see us pick up a QB.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Birk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Many still chasing the NFL dream at veterans co... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Fake IP Land 3
News Former NFL players now on other side, working f... (Mar '15) Mar '15 New Career Challenge 1
News Vikings to honor Birk before final Metrodome ga... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News San Diego haze? Te'o set to meet new teammates (May '13) May '13 PEE PEE PETE 1
News Baltimore Ravens determined to hold on to Ed Reed (Mar '13) Mar '13 Eddie rice 1
News Ravens to Cut Top Tackler Bernard Pollard in Ro... (Mar '13) Mar '13 datgovernment 2
News Randy Moss or Matt Birk will win SB Xlvii (Jan '13) Feb '13 Downer 45 16
More from around the web