Private search on for missing NFL pla...

Private search on for missing NFL players in Gulf

There are 223 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 5, 2009, titled Private search on for missing NFL players in Gulf. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Family and friends refused to give up the search for two NFL players and a third man missing four days in the Gulf of Mexico, enlisting private boats and planes to comb the waters off the Florida coast.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Tessa

Sanford, FL

#1 Mar 5, 2009
The more details I learn about this story, the more it breaks my heart.
Sugar Bunz

Albertville, AL

#3 Mar 5, 2009
I don't think they were using the NFL player thing to racial. I think it's just a descriptive term.
The whole situation was totally preventable. These guys were totally inexperienced on way too small a boat.
If I lived down there, I would take my boat out & search - as long as the families of the boaters were paying for the gas of course.
Dave

Boise, ID

#4 Mar 5, 2009
Its very difficult for families and loved one to understand. They continue to say how strong these men were, but the ocean can be wicked too. I hope they are found and that will make it easier on the families.
Uh Oh

Xenia, OH

#5 Mar 5, 2009
What a horrible tragedy.....my deepest sympathy to the families.
Tamaraqi

Boynton Beach, FL

#6 Mar 5, 2009
Davey Jones' locker.
kbinva

Washington, DC

#7 Mar 5, 2009
I think the NFL players angle is more of a notoriety (yeah, stuff happens to even big physical, semi-known strong guys) perspective.

When I saw the size of the boat they were on, I thought I would not take that thing much further than the distance I could swim back to shore - maybe 1/4 mile out max.

I don't know if they checked the weather forecast or not. But with all the sunny, clear, and warm days in Florida (usually in the late spring and summer) why not wait till then? I guess if these guys would be in training camp or something then, then at a minimum with such a little boat I would stay in "ship to shore" contact with someone that could help you in a moments notice if things get bad quickly.

Beyond the likely prospect that the missing men are deceased, their bodies will almost certainly never be found. The ocean is quite unforgiving. I understand they found a cooler and a lifevest some 16 miles downwind of where they found the guy they found alive.

I've sailed on the ocean for a long time (former Navy). My ship was 40,000 tons fully loaded and was 659 feet long. But when placed in an ocean as massive as the Atlantic, we were a mere "speck."
I AM A1ACharles Dammit

West Palm Beach, FL

#8 Mar 5, 2009
Its ok to search for the other guy also.

I think they realized that 4 guys cannot all sit on top of the small
boat and they had to make certain decisions.
Impeach Barack Obama

Oviedo, FL

#9 Mar 5, 2009
They may wash up somewhere along the coastline. It's hard to say or they may be found floating by fishermen or a passing ship. Quite dead of course. This hasn't been a rescue effort for sometime now. Young men do stupid things, and particularly I suspect a lot of cold beer went into their complete lack of judgement. You suffer the consequences of your poor decisions and these guys sure did make lousy decisions and suffered the consequences.
delbert

Hollywood, FL

#10 Mar 5, 2009
Wish I could help.
Don

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Mar 5, 2009
If the doctors said on March 2 that Schuyler could only have lasted another 5 to 10 hours in that water and today is March 5, then why is anyone still looking? People have survived for weeks lost at sea but those people were in a boat or on a raft and not in the water.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#12 Mar 5, 2009
As it says in the story, the people in the area all know or have heard of someone who's been lost at sea. While I'd love to see a miracle and have these young men come home safe and sound, it seems less and less likely with every passing day; another poster put it quite well, the sea is very unforgiving. I was discussing the story with friends and we were going over what could've happened; is it at all possible - and I am NOT making any accusations, just a thought - that any of these young men were involved in something illegal, where the others might have been killed and the survivor is covering up? Again, I am definitely NOT making any accusations, but I would imagine the investigators in this case would be covering all angles. Too, we've heard stories of piracy off Somalia, have there been any recent incidents at all where boaters have fallen prey to any type of piracy or maybe stumbled across people on a boat who were involved in criminal activity? Probably very rare, but I guess it could happen. At any rate, I would hope that the families of these men could find SOMETHING - I can't imagine anything much worse than never knowing for sure what happened to your loved one.
The Grim Reaper

Bakersfield, CA

#13 Mar 5, 2009
It's a sad thing to not have closure but I fear the family will need a submarine or a special inside the shark radar to find them
Billy

New Orleans, LA

#15 Mar 5, 2009
I consulted the natalie wood sar and they told me to wait they will wash up on shore somewhere.
Sexy Sophia

Orlando, FL

#16 Mar 5, 2009
I think the private search is a waste of time and the families shouldn't stress themselves out by going on an endless journey through miles and miles of ocean, looking for some object that may be their most likely dead son
Believe

Newport News, VA

#17 Mar 5, 2009
To the familys I will always keep you all in my prayers. Be strong.
NOT RICH OR FAMOS

United States

#19 Mar 5, 2009
Many people go missing out at sea but only the "FAMOS" ones make the news.
I know 2 people the went missing for 3 days and on the forth day the USCC found them, but NOTHING was said on the news,radio or any other media.
Must be nice to be rich and famos!!!!
Thank you to the USCC for calling off the search and saving taxpayers money.
Face reallity there dead.
Jim Friday

Pawleys Island, SC

#20 Mar 5, 2009
Some of the people who post here are nuts. It scares me to think that I may walk down the same street with you.

Regardless of the details, this is a terrible tragedy. A sad, sad story.
Coast Guard Veteran

AOL

#21 Mar 5, 2009
Give it a few days.

First off most people don’t sink when they are alive. Only very thin people or very muscular people will sink when they are alive, and even then they need to breath out to do it. Most people have more than enough fat on their bodies to keep them lighter than water, and they float.

Some people sink when they drown for the same reason that thin or muscular people sink when they breathe out. The air in the lungs acts like an inflatable swim toy and bouys people up. When people drown they breathe water into their lungs. With a lung full of water the body becomes more dense and in many cases dense enough to sink. Note however that even moderately fat people won’t sink even when they drown. Fat and oil are much less dense than water and keep them bobbing to the surface.

Some bodies will initially sink when they die and will then rise to the surface again. That’s because the body starts to rot. When it rots the bacteria produce gases like methane and carbon dioxide. These fill up the skin like a balloon. Since the body is now full of gas it bobs to the surface like beach ball.
pppptttttt

Scottsmoor, FL

#22 Mar 5, 2009
I am scared every time I get in my brothers boat. And it is 34 feet w three outboards. I think of the size of that boat and wonder how it even got 50 miles offshore. No one should travel so far without SOS contact. Just think of clinging to the sharp side of an outboard motor for 2 days while being pounded by waves in a cold ocean w/no food or fresh knowing your friends are most likely dead. A sad and sobering story.
Gayle

Hutchinson, KS

#23 Mar 5, 2009
TO THE FAMILIES: I agree. KEEP LOOKING. They could still be out there. the guy that was found said that coast guard pilots shined the light on them the first nite and missed them. And that was with a boat. These men are alone and floating out there, one or more of them may still be alive. They could have flosted along ways. the oceans are huge. IF you have the resources, Keep looking. I do not even know these guys nor do i watch football, but my heart goes out to you and i hope you find them. Don't give up. Get as many people on board and search as far as you can. They are probably drifting. Something tells me they are still hanging in there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Cooper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs, Raiders game haunted by rogue pigeon (Dec '12) Dec '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 5
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Nov '10 anonymous 22
News The latest on the missing NFL boaters (Sep '10) Sep '10 Maggie 1
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Mar '10 Long Island Gal 68
News After boating accident, Schuyler left to ask, '... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Concerned Boater 1
News New information on NFL players who perished at sea (Mar '09) Aug '09 Anoy 74
News Oakland Raiders camp battles--Linebackers (Aug '09) Aug '09 Achmed 2
More from around the web