Report: Missing NFL players Oakland R...

Report: Missing NFL players Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis ...

There are 49 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 27, 2009, titled Report: Missing NFL players Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis .... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

A deadly boating accident involving two NFL players and two of their friends was caused by not properly anchoring the vessel in the water, an investigation by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission concludes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
perspective

AOL

#54 Mar 27, 2009
Arnold Black wrote:
<quoted text>
More government regulation? There's no amount of regulation that will compensate for stupidity.
The US Coast Guard Auxiliary holds public education classes for basic Boating Safety & Seamanship; not for regulation. It's to help people be able to save their own lives.
Flagrante Delicto

AOL

#55 Mar 27, 2009
Yea BiGgiEs wrote:
Why would the life vests be removed from each person as they died then allow them to drift away?
Delusional behaviour brought on by hypothermia and despair. It is not that uncommon.
Captain 4 Hire

AOL

#56 Mar 27, 2009
perspective wrote:
<quoted text>
The US Coast Guard Auxiliary holds public education classes for basic Boating Safety & Seamanship; not for regulation. It's to help people be able to save their own lives.
CGAux classroom is a start. But the Aux does not perform on the water training.

Hire a professional captain for onboard safety training and drills.

www.yachtaide.com
Yippie

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#57 Mar 27, 2009
Boating Safety wrote:
Why don't they make Boating Safety Classes mandatory for everyone? Here is a link to classes:
http://cgaux7.org/boating_classes_public/
As a USCG licensed Captain & also Chief Engineer and many years experience your words could not be more correct I am sorry to say.

This boating accident simply should not have happened; but it started with NO experience boaters “going 50 miles offshore in Cooper's 21-foot vessel” DUH.

I am sure they knew nothing about boating safety, marine weather or boat stability, not to mention no clue about any basic boat handling or operation skills.

This state needs to start requiring mandatory boating basic certification, it’s sad but true.
Yippie

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#58 Mar 27, 2009
perspective wrote:
<quoted text>
The US Coast Guard Aux. provides excellent educational services for boaters to say the least. spread the word! They have chapters/flotillas all over the USA.

Established by the Congress in 1939, the 30,000 members of the United States Coast Guard

These are just a few of the services provided by the Auxiliary.

Each year, Auxiliarists volunteer more than two million hours benefitting boaters and their families.

http://nws.cgaux.org/index.html

regards,

USCG Licensed Master/Chief Enginer
cocoajoe

Plano, IL

#60 Mar 28, 2009
50 miles out in a 21 footer with no radio.

Waited until 5:30 PM to go back in.

Anchoring off the stern.
Marine Corps Patty

AOL

#61 Mar 28, 2009
Boating Safety wrote:
Why don't they make Boating Safety Classes mandatory for everyone? Here is a link to classes:
http://cgaux7.org/boating_classes_public/
really has worked out well with manditory driver's training and licensing.

Your comment is typical of a government stooge - and an unpaid volunteer stoog at that.

Why are there no Auxilarists who are under the age 120 anyway? No HOT Auxilarists of 2009 calendar?
Captain 4 Hire

AOL

#62 Mar 28, 2009
Yippie wrote:
<quoted text>
The US Coast Guard Aux. provides excellent educational services for boaters to say the least. spread the word! They have chapters/flotillas all over the USA.
Established by the Congress in 1939, the 30,000 members of the United States Coast Guard
These are just a few of the services provided by the Auxiliary.
Each year, Auxiliarists volunteer more than two million hours benefitting boaters and their families.
http://nws.cgaux.org/index.html
regards,
USCG Licensed Master/Chief Engineer
Better to hire a training captain to go out with the owner on his yacht and run thru training scenarios. The owner will also learn preventative maintenance proceedures which will benefit their vessel and save them money in the long run. Spouses and partners also receive Pinch Hitter training at the same time.

Working from a syllabus, I issue a letter of completion which receives the same merit as the CGAux course does with regards to insurance discount for training received.

www.yachtaide.com
Renita Mckinzie

Casselberry, FL

#63 Mar 30, 2009
I am so sorry for what has happen. In my heart i dont believe for one minute that the missing players are deceased! Im hoping that they might of gotton washed up on an island or something, or may of gotton captured by a near by boater and probably stranded! I just believe that they are still alive and are tryin to be rescued. I pray that the families can have better closure and that this nightmare will be over when the go walkin through there front doors someday. God bless you all
Renita D. McKinzie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Cooper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs, Raiders game haunted by rogue pigeon (Dec '12) Dec '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 5
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Nov '10 anonymous 22
News The latest on the missing NFL boaters (Sep '10) Sep '10 Maggie 1
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Mar '10 Long Island Gal 68
News After boating accident, Schuyler left to ask, '... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Concerned Boater 1
News New information on NFL players who perished at sea (Mar '09) Aug '09 Anoy 74
News Oakland Raiders camp battles--Linebackers (Aug '09) Aug '09 Achmed 2
More from around the web