Report: Missing NFL players Oakland R...

Report: Missing NFL players Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis ...

There are 49 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 27, 2009, titled Report: Missing NFL players Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis .... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

A deadly boating accident involving two NFL players and two of their friends was caused by not properly anchoring the vessel in the water, an investigation by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission concludes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
boater

United States

#1 Mar 27, 2009
jeez 3 dead because they wouldn't leave a $40.00 anchor behind. What a shame.
John Clark

Grosse Pointe, MI

#2 Mar 27, 2009
OOOOOOPPPSS!!!
Bifg Jim

United States

#3 Mar 27, 2009
Cut the anchor line when it's stuck. Cheaper to buy a new anchor than the alternative. Wow, how unavoidable that situation was.
Indy

United States

#5 Mar 27, 2009
So sad. My heart goes out to their families.
safetyfirst

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Mar 27, 2009
they were muscleheads,marine engineers, the only word for the 3 now is...Chum
Witnessthetruth

Interlachen, FL

#7 Mar 27, 2009
Ever since the "Unsinkable Titanic" went down, anything is possible. Eventually, someone at sometime will make the wrong decision. That is one of the aspects that makes flying so dangerous. The vast majority of plane crashes is due mostly to pilot error. Boating mis-haps are mostly bad decsions by the people on-board. Proper safety equipment, such as a good GPS system, would have sent out an emergency signal the moment the boat over-turned. Bad planning, tragic results. What else can you say?
Bush says No

Port Salerno, FL

#10 Mar 27, 2009
No boating EXPERIENCE
Hmmm Interesting

Pompano Beach, FL

#13 Mar 27, 2009
lets see.. lose a $40 anchor by cutting off or lose your life... that's what I call priceless.
YukonCornelius

Deer Park, TX

#14 Mar 27, 2009
Splish splash gurgle gurgle seven up - hiccup!
Turnip Truck Driver

Decatur, GA

#15 Mar 27, 2009
My condolences to the families who lost their loved one in this tragedy.
To many, this ordeal is mainly fodder for a message blog, but there's a guy out there who survived and is probably going through hell right now in being grateful for his life, grieving over his friends, and also probably dealing with some survivor guilt because he was the only one who did come away with his life against such odds.
It could have been an anchor or the weather or the boat being overloaded or being out too far in the gulf...
that won't soothe the minds of those suffering over their loss or make any of this any more understandable.
Dave the Wave

Cape Coral, FL

#16 Mar 27, 2009
They anchored from the stern and then tried pull up the anchor by gunning the engine forward in rough seas. Wow those are basic boating mistakes.

I feel bad for the familes but jeeze that was idiotic.
red

Pompano Beach, FL

#17 Mar 27, 2009
Anybody buying a boat should do one thing--go to a boating course that I believe is done by the Cast Guard
Magilla Gorilla

Lake Worth, FL

#18 Mar 27, 2009
boater wrote:
jeez 3 dead because they wouldn't leave a $40.00 anchor behind. What a shame.
How correct you are I've had to cut several loose
the marmoset

Boca Raton, FL

#20 Mar 27, 2009
Bunch of tards go fishin
cuckleloskee

Pompano Beach, FL

#21 Mar 27, 2009
The anchor from the stern thing will get you every time, just dropped the hook on a 14' johnboat once (from the stern) in 10,000's to cast at some snook, the rope went tight, the current began to suck the boat under I lost all my rods and just barely cut the too tight rope before It went under, I never forgot, maybe this should be put out there so save some other folks...
ret uscg

United States

#23 Mar 27, 2009
red wrote:
Anybody buying a boat should do one thing--go to a boating course that I believe is done by the Cast Guard
You said it all.
HMMMM

AOL

#24 Mar 27, 2009
Dave the Wave wrote:
They anchored from the stern and then tried pull up the anchor by gunning the engine forward in rough seas. Wow those are basic boating mistakes.
I feel bad for the familes but jeeze that was idiotic.
Where in the story does it say they had the anchor hooked to the stern???
Bulldog Bob

Marietta, GA

#27 Mar 27, 2009
HMMMM wrote:
<quoted text>
Transom, transom, rocket scientist!
Chief-Takes-Your -Money

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#28 Mar 27, 2009
HMMMM wrote:
<quoted text>
Says it was hooked to the transom - typically the transom is on the stern....

Exactly where you DONT hook an anchor and especially don't throttle the boat hooked to an anchor.

People died because they were stupid...
OMG

Atlanta, GA

#29 Mar 27, 2009
The article didn't say how they didn't anchor properly. I have fished off the coast of the very area for 20 years. I have personally been out of John's Pass a million times. I have removed my anchor by powering forward and pulling in anchor line just like they did. It's how you do it when you are hooked up good on some coral. What did they do wrong in terms of the anchor?

I know what they did wrong. They were out in water too rough for that size boat, they got side ways with a large roll and over she went.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Cooper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs, Raiders game haunted by rogue pigeon (Dec '12) Dec '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 5
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Nov '10 anonymous 22
News The latest on the missing NFL boaters (Sep '10) Sep '10 Maggie 1
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Mar '10 Long Island Gal 68
News After boating accident, Schuyler left to ask, '... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Concerned Boater 1
News New information on NFL players who perished at sea (Mar '09) Aug '09 Anoy 74
News Oakland Raiders camp battles--Linebackers (Aug '09) Aug '09 Achmed 2
More from around the web