Coast Guard Finds One Survivor; NFL P...

Coast Guard Finds One Survivor; NFL Players Still Missing

There are 25 comments on the www.huliq.com story from Mar 2, 2009, titled Coast Guard Finds One Survivor; NFL Players Still Missing. In it, www.huliq.com reports that:

NFL players Corey Smith, Marquis Cooper and another man, William Bleakley, remain missing, while the Coast Guard announced it had recovered former University of South Florida football player Nick Schulyer clinging to an overturned boat off Florida's Gulf Coast. The four men were reported missing early Sunday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huliq.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
imovedtoDC

Antioch, CA

#1 Mar 2, 2009
What was the weather like. were they experienced seamen?
Bronzeville

River Grove, IL

#2 Mar 2, 2009
I know it's a stereotype, but is anyone really surprised that it was the white dude who knew how to swim?
hijos delos conijos

Baltimore, MD

#3 Mar 2, 2009
will they be listed as unemployed? will their replacements have impact on the employment statistics?
Crab Nebula Hooya

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Mar 2, 2009
permuda triango da oval balls

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#5 Mar 2, 2009
the wind on the opposite side of the state where they were was wicked, especially sat night. The lake Im on had white caps and 1.5 ft rips. I can only imagine what they got into 30 or more miles out and my thoughts go to those who are in such pain now.

The concentric winds were blowing across florida from the NW to a circlular bottom heading NNE at the time the were caught in it.
I had a 19 ft Mako once and could out run a storm. But when the storm is coming from land out to the sea they were in, the winds...... it is one tragic event to have to go through to get back in.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 2, 2009
I nver ventured more then 20 miles out to Pelican Flats out of Port Canaveral 90 degrees running 45 min to and hour out.

Location hidden

#7 Mar 2, 2009
Someone wasnt paying attention to the FM Coast Guard weather alerts.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 2, 2009
And that is not to cast blame. Not one person can be at the ready when in leasure all the time. Otherwise, we would have no leasure.

Boom boxes and laughter can quickly turn to tragedy if you dont keep your Coast Guard weather alert on, update and then enjoy your leasure.

And its volume of broadcast must trump any music being listened to.
JaySailor

AOL

#9 Mar 2, 2009
They were believed to be wearing PFDs. But what is strange is there were no distress calls. Knowing those guys were not poor people they would have better chances of being rescued if they had equipped their boat with an EPIRB not expensive and you can even buy a personal one as a backup. Weather can get ugly in no time, and always a good idea to check weather before leaving dock and while in the ocean

FRONTIERSMAN

“FREEDOM”

Since: Dec 08

Bethel NY

#10 Mar 2, 2009
It was not a nice day..rough sea..winds ..inexperanced..small boat...There are sharks out there...the water was cool for Fla.

no ELT..radio beacon...hope they ain't shark shit!!

I fish a lot...in that area... out of Charlotte Harbor..not a good day to go..hope coast guard has luck...tonight its very cool for Fla. in the high 30s....Wonder why they could not stay or hang on to the capsized boat??

the surviver will have the answers ...We shall see....

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Highspire, PA

#11 Mar 2, 2009
This tragedy was a perfect storm:

Boating collided with alcohol.

I can't see another explanation for the poor judgment and lack of call for help, i.e., the boat wasn't the only thing feeling a little bit tipsy....

Of course, it also could have been an elaborate murder plot, but the water is too cold for the murderer to voluntarily go into until rescue, so it's doubtful.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 2, 2009
writewingproxycontin wrote:
This tragedy was a perfect storm:
Boating collided with alcohol.
I can't see another explanation for the poor judgment and lack of call for help, i.e., the boat wasn't the only thing feeling a little bit tipsy....
Of course, it also could have been an elaborate murder plot, but the water is too cold for the murderer to voluntarily go into until rescue, so it's doubtful.
so noted. Never when you cant see land ever turn off your FM Coast Guard or other weather alert radio. It freaking squawks updates.........thats a good thing.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 2, 2009
As a captain........one ear is on the fun and enjoyment of pleasure crafting and fishing. THe other ear is on updates and alerts.

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

#14 Mar 3, 2009
Bronzeville wrote:
I know it's a stereotype, but is anyone really surprised that it was the white dude who knew how to swim?
I knew there was going to be someone ignorant enough to say this.
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

#15 Mar 3, 2009
I just got here, did anyone blame Bush yet?
dave

Brattleboro, VT

#16 Mar 3, 2009
did they catch anything?
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

#17 Mar 3, 2009
dave wrote:
did they catch anything?
I'm afraid the sharks won this game.
sresolffokcuf

Antioch, CA

#18 Mar 3, 2009
I grew up never learning how to sail but have many friends and family members who boat all the time. One thing I did notice on the news was the size of the hull of the boat. it was a dingy they were on. It looked like a little fishing boat. I can't picture 4 large frame guys on this thing unless they were drunk. Sorry if that comes off sounding mean but this was not something you would expect these men to be on.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#19 Mar 3, 2009
Church Slave wrote:
I just got here, did anyone blame Bush yet?
LOL!!!!!!

Seriously though, prays for the men. I keep hoping to hear that they are found alive.
shockzap

Antioch, CA

#20 Mar 3, 2009
"LOL!!!!!!

Seriously though, prays for the men"

I'm glad you found time to laugh before excersizing self righteousness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marquis Cooper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs, Raiders game haunted by rogue pigeon (Dec '12) Dec '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 5
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Nov '10 anonymous 22
News The latest on the missing NFL boaters (Sep '10) Sep '10 Maggie 1
News Survivor: Football players lost at sea took off... (Mar '09) Mar '10 Long Island Gal 68
News After boating accident, Schuyler left to ask, '... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Concerned Boater 1
News New information on NFL players who perished at sea (Mar '09) Aug '09 Anoy 74
News Oakland Raiders camp battles--Linebackers (Aug '09) Aug '09 Achmed 2
More from around the web