Barkley better than mock draft hype

Barkley better than mock draft hype

There are 13 comments on the Fox Sports story from Mar 7, 2013, titled Barkley better than mock draft hype. In it, Fox Sports reports that:

Jen Floyd Engel, a Top 10 columnist for FoxSports.com in the 2012 Associated Press Sports Editors annual contest, had covered local sports for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram since 1997 and became a columnist in 2003 before joining Fox Sports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox Sports.

Jaydog

Kent, WA

#1 Mar 7, 2013
That QB gona be a bust in NFL , look all the USC QB , did anyone took to the Super Bowl no right , like I say all the USC QB comes to the NFL they all suck .
Mike M

Tempe, AZ

#2 Mar 7, 2013
This is one of the more thoughtful and honest articles i've read in a while. Sanchez does get too much of the blame for what happens in NY. Being honest, the jets are a talent deficient team with pretty bad coaching coupled with really bad personnel decisions. Mangini was a terrible coach, but at least he had an eye for talent.

If you actually watched USC games last season you would see Kiffin calling plays like it's a video game. Instead of letting his QB's size up defenses, and throwing to the correct spot, he would run verticals through cover 3 and 4 once a quarter and force his QB's to air it out. Hence, interceptions.

Factor in a mediocre offensive line and a truly horrible scheme on defense(Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 is so old high school coaches know how to beat it now) and it ends up with a QB throwing lots of pick, losing confidence and such.

I'm not arguing Barkely or Sanchez is elite. I think Sanchez should be cut from the Jets and Barkley should get drafted in day 2.

Someone will take Barkley in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. And they will be really pleased with his smarts and work ethic.
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#3 Mar 7, 2013
Palmer, Sanchez, Leinart, Barkley
Thats a long proud tradition of sucking on Sunday
You can't spell SUCK without USC
Mike M

Tempe, AZ

#4 Mar 7, 2013
Again, an over generalization of the most prolific NFL factory in college football.

You can flaunt an opinion all you want and are justified in doing so, but at least backup your belief with stats or an explanation. Otherwise no-one takes you seriously and your post is largely ignored as unintelligent.
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#5 Mar 7, 2013
defender of the indefensible
LMAO
Let's see how long the factory remains in business now that Cheatin' Pete is gone
Trojan Ribbed ForPleasure

Miami, FL

#6 Mar 7, 2013
Mike M wrote:
Again, an over generalization of the most prolific NFL factory in college football.
You can flaunt an opinion all you want and are justified in doing so, but at least backup your belief with stats or an explanation. Otherwise no-one takes you seriously and your post is largely ignored as unintelligent.
Not for QBs for the last few years. Where are your facts for recent Trojan QB success in the NFL?
Mike M

Tempe, AZ

#7 Mar 7, 2013
I said NFL factory, not QB factory. Nor was i arguing that those guys were super awesome and OG players. Perhaps you should read more, judge less.
Trojan Ribbed ForPleasure wrote:
<quoted text>
Not for QBs for the last few years. Where are your facts for recent Trojan QB success in the NFL?
Mike M

Tempe, AZ

#8 Mar 7, 2013
And besides, Palmer has made multiple pro bowls and Sanchez had shown a fair bit of potential and game-managing skills in his first two years before he got murdered by coaching and playcalling, Cassel made a few pro bowls(albeit with Moss and Welker for one)and Matt Barkely likely wont be considered a "bust" as he will probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best.

Granted Matt Leinart sucks, but no one has ever argued against that.

Whats another school you can think of that has sent multiple qb's in the last 10 years to be NFL starters? Or even sent multiple QB's to the Pro Bowl from the same college?

None of those guys is a Peyton, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, is that what really irks you guys so bad? You will label the whole college as garbage because of that?

And besides, i am STILL not even arguing that USC is a "qb factory" just as a general NFL machine for just about any position.

So there you go, arguments against this stuff is welcome, but try to think of an opinion of your own and back it up, otherwise its all just noise.
Trojan Ribbed ForPleasure wrote:
<quoted text>
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#9 Mar 7, 2013
Mike M wrote:
And besides, Palmer has made multiple pro bowls and Sanchez had shown a fair bit of potential and game-managing skills in his first two years before he got murdered by coaching and playcalling, Cassel made a few pro bowls(albeit with Moss and Welker for one)and Matt Barkely likely wont be considered a "bust" as he will probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best.
Granted Matt Leinart sucks, but no one has ever argued against that.
Whats another school you can think of that has sent multiple qb's in the last 10 years to be NFL starters? Or even sent multiple QB's to the Pro Bowl from the same college?
None of those guys is a Peyton, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, is that what really irks you guys so bad? You will label the whole college as garbage because of that?
And besides, i am STILL not even arguing that USC is a "qb factory" just as a general NFL machine for just about any position.
So there you go, arguments against this stuff is welcome, but try to think of an opinion of your own and back it up, otherwise its all just noise.
<quoted text>
All-pro is what counts. Pro-bowl QB's are often the 5th choice in the conference because the good Qb's have the "selected to the pro bowl" clause in their contracts, they get selected but don't go because of injuries or long season ending in the superbowl. Cassel, Leinart, Palmer, not All-Pro material
Where do you get a "couple of times" for the pro-bowl for Cassel? Are you seeing double? In January 2011 Cassel was named as an alternate to the Pro Bowl in place of an injured Tom Brady. You are right about Rosey Palmer making it in 2005 & 6 but he hasn't even come close enough to sniff a jock of a pro-bowler after he got caught in the hot tub with coach Sandusky after the 2006 pro-bowl
Mike M

Tempe, AZ

#10 Mar 8, 2013
Ha, you are a straight up turd dude. Cut all the Qb's that don't win super bowls! Only the top 3 Qb's in the league matter and the rest are garbage. Quit watching ESPN and make up your own opinion.
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>All-pro is what counts. Pro-bowl QB's are often the 5th choice in the conference because the good Qb's have the "selected to the pro bowl" clause in their contracts, they get selected but don't go because of injuries or long season ending in the superbowl. Cassel, Leinart, Palmer, not All-Pro material
Where do you get a "couple of times" for the pro-bowl for Cassel? Are you seeing double? In January 2011 Cassel was named as an alternate to the Pro Bowl in place of an injured Tom Brady. You are right about Rosey Palmer making it in 2005 & 6 but he hasn't even come close enough to sniff a jock of a pro-bowler after he got caught in the hot tub with coach Sandusky after the 2006 pro-bowl

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#11 Mar 8, 2013
Mike M wrote:
Ha, you are a straight up turd dude. Cut all the Qb's that don't win super bowls! Only the top 3 Qb's in the league matter and the rest are garbage. Quit watching ESPN and make up your own opinion.
<quoted text>
This right here is why I'm not a QB guru...When a team is bad, it always seems to be blamed on the QB. Now the QB can have some influence on the team around him but so can somebody at another position. It takes more than just a QB to have a winning team.

I look at San Diego of the early 2000s as a good example...They were ready to run Drew Brees out of town despite that he was a legite QB, but needed more than just Antonio Gates to throw to plus with LT in the backfield, it gave the offense a fairly balanced dimension...In 2004, the man they needed was available to them at #1 overall and it was WR Larry Fitzgerald, but instead they opted to take QB Eli Manning against his will only to trade him for Phillip Rivers who couldn't beat out Drew Brees until an injury to Brees led to Brees leaving as a free agent. Drew Brees went on to win the Superbowl on another team. LT will be one of the best RBs of all time in the HOF without a championship and Larry Fitzgerald has yet to be on a team with a true long term answer at QB but did lose a Superbowl when Kurt Warner was his QB during one of his best NFL years....Moral of the story is that if you don't build your team wisely, you won't ever get where you want to be if you want to be the Champions.
Mike M

Tempe, AZ

#12 Mar 11, 2013
I agree. Qb's get too much blame. Donovan McNabb was always another example to me. For years he had BS wide recievers and was still a good QB, the one year he had T.O(until Roy Williams broke his ankle)was McNabb's best and it went downhill from there.

"First down" Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston? Anyone else remember these clowns? They were awful most of the time and mediocre at best.
TexasRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
This right here is why I'm not a QB guru...When a team is bad, it always seems to be blamed on the QB. Now the QB can have some influence on the team around him but so can somebody at another position. It takes more than just a QB to have a winning team.
I look at San Diego of the early 2000s as a good example...They were ready to run Drew Brees out of town despite that he was a legite QB, but needed more than just Antonio Gates to throw to plus with LT in the backfield, it gave the offense a fairly balanced dimension...In 2004, the man they needed was available to them at #1 overall and it was WR Larry Fitzgerald, but instead they opted to take QB Eli Manning against his will only to trade him for Phillip Rivers who couldn't beat out Drew Brees until an injury to Brees led to Brees leaving as a free agent. Drew Brees went on to win the Superbowl on another team. LT will be one of the best RBs of all time in the HOF without a championship and Larry Fitzgerald has yet to be on a team with a true long term answer at QB but did lose a Superbowl when Kurt Warner was his QB during one of his best NFL years....Moral of the story is that if you don't build your team wisely, you won't ever get where you want to be if you want to be the Champions.

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#13 Mar 11, 2013
Mike M wrote:
I agree. Qb's get too much blame. Donovan McNabb was always another example to me. For years he had BS wide recievers and was still a good QB, the one year he had T.O(until Roy Williams broke his ankle)was McNabb's best and it went downhill from there.
"First down" Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston? Anyone else remember these clowns? They were awful most of the time and mediocre at best.
<quoted text>
Donovan McNabb was one of my favorite QBs during his prime and I think he could've done better with legit receivers.

I often think about the Raiders of the 90s when Tim Brown was good no matter who was throwing to him...Sometimes I wonder if we could've made the superbowl sooner if we had a good QB during that time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mark Sanchez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tim Tebow runs for a score in Eagles' victory o... Aug 18 Fart news 6
News Eagles, Bradford talking extension Aug 5 Fart news 2
News Eagles' Kelce blasts Giants punter's QB shots Jun '15 Hike the farts 2
News Report: Eagles Sign Tim Tebow Apr '15 tom wingo 19
News Tebow time? Controversial QB works out with NFL... Mar '15 Eagles Hotel Cali... 4
News Tim Tebow Works Out With Philadelphia Eagles Mar '15 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Packers move into top spot in AP Pro32 rankings (Dec '14) Dec '14 Flatulence Fred 6
More from around the web