Vikings' Ray Edwards credits focus for his improvement

There are 17 comments on the Nov 16, 2009, TwinCities.com story titled Vikings' Ray Edwards credits focus for his improvement. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier sees a different Ray Edwards this season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Brett Favre

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Nov 16, 2009
Edwards can still break Strahan's record this year!

He only needs 17 more sacks in the final 7 games...
rtpSPAL

United States

#2 Nov 17, 2009
focus harder, focus harder, ah, more focus
muskratbob

Beckley, WV

#3 Nov 17, 2009
We need to get tuff and ready for the seahawks for they aregoing to try to upset the vikings. WE got to gut it up and kick some butt to get what we want no one going to give it to us we got take it go vikings.
Justin

Wetumpka, AL

#4 Nov 17, 2009
Favre gave Strahan the record maybe Edwards should just go for 21 and sack Favre on the sidelines a couple of times and call it a record
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Nov 17, 2009
On the other side of the line, Jared Allen was manhandled by the Lion's DT. Give credit for Edwards recognizing his advantages over the Lions right side DT, and then executing.

Allen has done the same thing twice against the Packers...when there's a weakness, go for the kill.

This weeks game against the Seahawks, I think Allen will have the advantage, and Edwards will have his hands full.
Tom

Lake Mary, FL

#7 Nov 17, 2009
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
On the other side of the line, Jared Allen was manhandled by the Lion's DT. Give credit for Edwards recognizing his advantages over the Lions right side DT, and then executing.
Allen has done the same thing twice against the Packers...when there's a weakness, go for the kill.
This weeks game against the Seahawks, I think Allen will have the advantage, and Edwards will have his hands full.
Allen was double teamed and at times triple teamed...it wasnt because the Lions had a single talented DT so I'd use the term "manhandled" quite loosely, if at all. thats why Edwards was so successful Sunday. Edwards is definetly a talent but he had plenty of help with Allen attracting attention away from Edwards.

Just sayin'
Purpleman

Neenah, WI

#8 Nov 17, 2009
muskratbob wrote:
We need to get tuff and ready for the seahawks for they aregoing to try to upset the vikings. WE got to gut it up and kick some butt to get what we want no one going to give it to us we got take it go vikings.
Good point - I see the same thing happening - a loss to the Seahawks. Great offensive skills on this team with Favre and a solid pass rush but it just doesn't look like a really solid, winning team headed for a championship (watch the Bengals and see the difference). Regarding Edwards: He was singled and his big afternoon came against the Lions (and the patchwork Pukers before that, he did well against)- stop the adulation before it becomes laughable, guys.
yeah sure

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Nov 17, 2009
he had to shed the bad influences around him. Hmmmm, I wonder what those were...
yeah sure

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Nov 17, 2009
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
First off, Allen wasn't manhandled by the Lions DT, because he played against the Lions OT. 2nd, Allen was double and triple teamed all day long. That is why Edwards was able to have a good day. Allen wasn't manhandled by one player. The OT had help from a TE and or a RB all day long. The Lion's game plan on offense was to prevent Allen from disrupting their offense at all costs. It's interesting what you learn when you read the opposing team's local newspapers.
Manelvagor

El Paso, TX

#11 Nov 17, 2009
Edwards was a steal in the 4th round a few years back. With the 1st round Udezes and James' falling by the wayside, Edwards stepped it up and earned his starting spot. I think that next year the Vikes will have to let Pat Williams and his big contract go (Jimmy Kennedy looks ready) so they can get Edwards signed.

Look at how FOX TV was tinkering with naming the Vikes Defensive Line (I'm partial to "Maul of America")- that only happens because Ray Edwards has helped make it a TRUE foursome.
JDN

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 Nov 17, 2009
Great game for Edwards against the Lions. He didn't have his standard 2 encroachment penalties.
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Nov 17, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
Allen was double teamed and at times triple teamed...it wasnt because the Lions had a single talented DT so I'd use the term "manhandled" quite loosely, if at all. thats why Edwards was so successful Sunday. Edwards is definetly a talent but he had plenty of help with Allen attracting attention away from Edwards.
Just sayin'
No, Allen wasn't double teamed, or triple teamed...he was simply up against the Lions best offensive lineman. Jeff Backus has started for the Lions for 9 years (137 straight games). The Lions didn't need to add any help, Allen just couldn't get around him, Backus is very good.

Allen has 7 1/2 sacks against the Packers (this year), and only 3 in the other 8 games. He's been manhandled twice by the Lions (Backus)...not to mention Clevland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh.
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Nov 17, 2009
yeah sure wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, Allen wasn't manhandled by the Lions DT, because he played against the Lions OT. 2nd, Allen was double and triple teamed all day long. That is why Edwards was able to have a good day. Allen wasn't manhandled by one player. The OT had help from a TE and or a RB all day long. The Lion's game plan on offense was to prevent Allen from disrupting their offense at all costs. It's interesting what you learn when you read the opposing team's local newspapers.
If you watched the game, instead of read about it you would see that Jeff Backus manhandled Jared Allen all game, without help. Allen has 7 1/2 sacks against the Packers, and 3 during the other 8 games. Pittsburgh, Clevland, and St. Louis also manhandled him with one LT (no help). Left tackles are typically the best linemen on an offense...no slam to Allen, but when he's up against an athletic LT he has trouble.
yeah sure

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Nov 17, 2009
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
If you watched the game, instead of read about it you would see that Jeff Backus manhandled Jared Allen all game, without help. Allen has 7 1/2 sacks against the Packers, and 3 during the other 8 games. Pittsburgh, Clevland, and St. Louis also manhandled him with one LT (no help). Left tackles are typically the best linemen on an offense...no slam to Allen, but when he's up against an athletic LT he has trouble.
I watched the game and saw double and triple teams most of the time. It uses up a guy's strength going against 2-3 guys almost every snap. Reading about the game results from the other team's perspective tells you quite a bit more about what they were trying to accomplish.
tbone

Tucson, AZ

#16 Nov 17, 2009
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
actually i saw something different, i saw him staying home and peeling off into the flat, the last few games they exposed allen's aggressiveness and threw screens behind him. i think this was more of a baiting game for future screen passes and almost led to a pick for allen as well. and even if you watched the game in the first qtr they mentioned how line was shifted towards allens side, te's chipping as well LT and LG help
ERIE-PA FAN

Erie, PA

#17 Nov 18, 2009
Yes Allen was double teamed a lot in that game and he was slowed by "chipping" tight ends and fullbacks as well.
That Other Guy

River Falls, WI

#18 Nov 18, 2009
Like Yeah Sure, I'd really like to hear Edwards talk more about what a distraction so-called friends and hangers-on can be for a young professional athlete. They feed your ego and spend your money--a trap for a lot of these guys. He'd be the best teacher kids could have about the potential dangers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madieu Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2013 NFL Draft: Who Do Redskins Fans Want with ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Adam Banig 1
News Albert Haynesworth and the 5 Worst Attitudes in... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Pubfarts 2
News Vikings will meet with the agents of several of... (Feb '11) Feb '11 IUVikes1 14
News Vikings safety Madieu Williams is Walter Payton... (Feb '11) Feb '11 PB ARMY 40
News Former Bengals Safety Madieu Williams Wins 2010... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Captain Canada 4
News Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield added to NF... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 15
News Vikings list Brett Favre as doubtful ... but th... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Police report 28
More from around the web