Safety Darren Sharper likely to move on from Minnesota Vikings ...

Full story: TwinCities.com

A few weeks ago, when he was at Winter Park, Darren Sharper heard the same message from a couple of Vikings defensive coaches.
Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Feb 27, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eck

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

first
40for60

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Tell him to take Birk with him.
Two players who were at the top of the heap a few years ago, who we can now safely say are squarely in the twilight of their careers.
They will command big money, make someone else pay it.

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

40for60 wrote:
Tell him to take Birk with him.
Two players who were at the top of the heap a few years ago, who we can now safely say are squarely in the twilight of their careers.
They will command big money, make someone else pay it.
good joke. birk is still one of the top centers in the league and sharper hasnt been that bad these last few years. sharpers first year in minnesota in 05' he had 9 ints, in 06' and 07' he had 4, and he only 1 this year. so i would say this was his first down year for him.
Danny Boy

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

time for him to move....he had a terrible year...all I recall from him this past season was watching him run down recievers on their way to the end zone....definitey time for him tpo move onward and be a stiff for somebody else....
Wait a minute...can he play on special teams?
Finally

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

The only reason Sharper has gotten any attention during his career is because he plays center field looking for over throws and gets lucky. He is always out of position, he takes the worst angles of any defensive player out there and is always afraid to hit anyone. I will be extremely happy when he signs with someone else.
Johnny Utah

River Edge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

damn you guys are harsh...he had his good days & bad days. He had a rough year this year, but he does make a point. He plays/ed his best when he was allowed to play Free Safety and gamble/roam. The cover 2 system sucks and it basically keeps the safeties from making an impact consistently. Players like Darren Sharper and Ed Reed need to be allowed to roam and use their instincts more than the "scheme". It will be a glorious day when we ditch this stupid defensive scheme that everybody thinks is so successful. Cover 2 allows ppl to crawl their way down the field on time consuming drives... philly did it time & again in the playoffs to us...we gave them an inch and at the end they took a mile.

Sharper was a class act and I will miss him. Thanks for the fond memories. Best Wishes
Danny Boy

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Johnny Utah wrote:
damn you guys are harsh...he had his good days & bad days. He had a rough year this year, but he does make a point. He plays/ed his best when he was allowed to play Free Safety and gamble/roam. The cover 2 system sucks and it basically keeps the safeties from making an impact consistently. Players like Darren Sharper and Ed Reed need to be allowed to roam and use their instincts more than the "scheme". It will be a glorious day when we ditch this stupid defensive scheme that everybody thinks is so successful. Cover 2 allows ppl to crawl their way down the field on time consuming drives... philly did it time & again in the playoffs to us...we gave them an inch and at the end they took a mile.
Sharper was a class act and I will miss him. Thanks for the fond memories. Best Wishes
first of all, he has slowed down so much that he looked lost out there. He was always chasing recievers around and when he was needed to make a tackle he would simply fall at the guy's feet. He was a complete waste in 2008....and if you want to blame Klink's defensvie scheme, well go ahead but it doesn't make up for the fact he has slowed and is not a good safety any longer.
As for being harsh, well many reasons for that. I have been a fan for 40 plus years and that gives me the right to write anything I please about them, as can anyone for that matter. When you have THE dumbest coach in the history of the NFL running your team how can you not be harsh...this guy is so friggin clueless to people, players and talent, well, it is a joke...and nothing appears like it will change for 2009 so look for more of the same...an NFL team with no legitimate QB and no legitimate coach...makes for another long season ..
Justice

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Johnny Utah wrote:
Well said Johnny, I couldn't of put it better. Sharper made some great plays for this franchise over the years and I to will miss him. He was a class act and will have a much better chance of getting to the big game with New Orleans and Drew Brees than he would here with Klink and his island of misfit quarterbacks.
RipSaw88

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said Johnny, I couldn't of put it better. Sharper made some great plays for this franchise over the years and I to will miss him. He was a class act and will have a much better chance of getting to the big game with New Orleans and Drew Brees than he would here with Klink and his island of misfit quarterbacks.
He was a class act???
He is a class act.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Jeebs wrote:
<quoted text>
good joke. birk is still one of the top centers in the league and sharper hasnt been that bad these last few years. sharpers first year in minnesota in 05' he had 9 ints, in 06' and 07' he had 4, and he only 1 this year. so i would say this was his first down year for him.
I focused on Birk's play in the last game based on some inside information. The guy never blocked anyone. He was still standing at the end of every play. He looked more like a matador, avoiding contact than someone who was supposed to be hitting someone. It was embarrassing. He's all done.
allen fan

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Sharper did not have a great year, but he has been a great addition to the team. He is a positive leader. I will miss him if the Vikes let him go - and shudder to think of who will attempt to replace him.
TheMaster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Classy guy. Handled that interview the right way and didn't burn any bridges.
TheMaster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Danny Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
first of all, he has slowed down so much that he looked lost out there. He was always chasing recievers around and when he was needed to make a tackle he would simply fall at the guy's feet. He was a complete waste in 2008....and if you want to blame Klink's defensvie scheme, well go ahead but it doesn't make up for the fact he has slowed and is not a good safety any longer.
As for being harsh, well many reasons for that. I have been a fan for 40 plus years and that gives me the right to write anything I please about them, as can anyone for that matter. When you have THE dumbest coach in the history of the NFL running your team how can you not be harsh...this guy is so friggin clueless to people, players and talent, well, it is a joke...and nothing appears like it will change for 2009 so look for more of the same...an NFL team with no legitimate QB and no legitimate coach...makes for another long season ..
Watching 40 years only is proof of one thing, that you watched for 40 years. Nothing more, nothing less. It entitles the owner to only that claim.
Danny Boy

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

TheMaster wrote:
<quoted text>
Watching 40 years only is proof of one thing, that you watched for 40 years. Nothing more, nothing less. It entitles the owner to only that claim.
Bite me..........
die hard

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Darren your still the man.All those madden games I won using you as the focal point on defense.I won plenty of money off those INTS.You were a force on sundays to.I WISH YOU WELL.If you don't come back.
die hard

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Danny Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought we dafted pretty well since coach has been here.
jeb

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

sharper is probably my least favorite viking ever. yes the cover two is not ideal for his style of play, but neither are TE's blowing right by him. i could deal with sharper losing a step if he covered the ball on a crucial fumble instead of trying to pick it up in heavy traffic with his butter hands. or worse, checking a team-mate out of the way and still not recovering the damn ball (i know others besides me saw it). even this would be tolerable if the a#$h#le wasn't constantly talking smack that he can no longer back up and saying he is better than ever because he wants to sell some hyperbolic chambers. go away sharper, T. Johnson will fill your spot just fine.
Mel

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Danny Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the 40 year long armchair coach.

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
<quoted text>
I focused on Birk's play in the last game based on some inside information. The guy never blocked anyone. He was still standing at the end of every play. He looked more like a matador, avoiding contact than someone who was supposed to be hitting someone. It was embarrassing. He's all done.
and were half of these passing plays when the defense was only rushing four or blitzing an outside linebacker out by the defensive end?
Yours Truly

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

I'm glad to see Sharper go but wish him all the best. The Vikings need to quit clinging to these guys that are close to retirement. And that would include Birk as well. So I agree that Matt Birk needs to go as well. Bring some new, young talent in here (The draft class this year is full of good offensive linemen) and build for the future.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Madieu Williams Discussions

Search the Madieu Williams Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
2013 NFL Draft: Who Do Redskins Fans Want with ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Adam Banig 1
Albert Haynesworth and the 5 Worst Attitudes in... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Pubfarts 2
Vikings will meet with the agents of several of... (Feb '11) Feb '11 IUVikes1 14
Vikings safety Madieu Williams is Walter Payton... (Feb '11) Feb '11 PB ARMY 40
Former Bengals Safety Madieu Williams Wins 2010... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Captain Canada 4
Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield added to NF... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 15
Vikings list Brett Favre as doubtful ... but th... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Police report 28
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••