Analysis: Minnesota Vikings likely to take a DE in draft's firs...

Full story: TwinCities.com

With the NFL scouting combine nearly over, that is the question facing the Vikings, who have major needs at safety, wide receiver and defensive end, and have two main options for filling them.
Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Mar 9, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sconnyahoo

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Yeah, let's take a guy from Miami in the first round. They're always solid citizens.
DeShawn Jackson, by all accounts, should be available @#17 why not take a little pressure off the QB and Adrian and draft a WR that will force the defense to be a little more honest. If not, Mr. Peterson will be worn down to a nub before he can go free agent.
Wake up front office!
Kaveman

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

If you look at the draft, there are about 10 very good WR's and only Buffalo and Denver are thinking about taking a wideout. You will still have a great option in the second round if they traget a WR there. DE are more limited. There are only 4 worth taking in the first two round and two will go in the top 10. The likely two that might be availible at 17 are Harvey, from Flordia and the kid from Miami. Like you said do we really want another Miami product.
billy ray

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Defensive end to the Vikings is what wide receiver is to Detroit. Let's try something different for a change. Free agency.
Avant

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Sconnyahoo wrote:
Yeah, let's take a guy from Miami in the first round. They're always solid citizens.
DeShawn Jackson, by all accounts, should be available @#17 why not take a little pressure off the QB and Adrian and draft a WR that will force the defense to be a little more honest. If not, Mr. Peterson will be worn down to a nub before he can go free agent.
Wake up front office!
Sconnyahoo, You are one of the only ones that knows his football. Jackson is the play-maker we need.
Ollie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

I don't know, I'd say kaveman sounds like he knows football too. it's just not what you or I want to hear. I'd like to see Malcomb Kelly from Oklahoma fall to the Vikes. The other problem is Chilly doesnt like drafting first round wideout. If Jackson or Kelly are still on the board at 17 and we dont draft one of them, I would be willing to bet there will be a riot at the draft party
Spiken

Holmen, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Harvey or possibly Groves (if we can move down) from Auburn are the way to go--no way we need a 165lbs. KR with the #1. He'll get jammed and won't get off the line--bring him in motion and the only thing he can do is run a fly. The reason we keep spending picks is due to unfortunate luck and due to the importance of the position and the good DEs never make it to the free agent market.

“Go Pack Go”

Since: Jun 07

Stevens Point, Wisconsin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (FL)
Yet another great play-making safety out of Miami, Phillips is definitely the best at his position on the board.

The Vikings need some drastic changes in the secondary after finishing dead last in the NFL in pass defense last season.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Proball5 wrote:
Yet another great play-making safety out of Miami, Phillips is definitely the best at his position on the board.
The Vikings need some drastic changes in the secondary after finishing dead last in the NFL in pass defense last season.
You are a packer. Why would we want who you recommend?
Eric

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Might be looking for a new left tackle too. McKinnie may be getting cut for his antics.
buddy grant

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

DE seems to be the likely pick unless a better player falls to them. I think they would like Phillips but he may be gone by 17. Speilman has already said he doesn't like a WR in round 1 and points to Rice as someone of value in the second round. There are a lot of WR's in the draft but the consensus is that no one is a top 10 or 15 pick. I think we will go BPA in the first even if it's a CB or QB if the Vikings have him rated in the top ten players and he falls to them (Cromartie or Brohm) WR in the second or DE if they don't get one in the first and safety or WR or QB in the third depending on who is available.

Frankly we need help on the OL for depth if nothing else and if one of the top 5 OL is available in the third I would use that pick on him.

On another note, I'm a little disapointed that there doesn't appear to be any talk of moving the dead wood at backup QB. I really hope we draft QB in the first three rounds.
Greg from Louisiana

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Many Mock Drafts have the Vikings taking Limas Sweed. After watching his workout at the combine, I can see why. Either he or DeSean Jackson would be a good pick.

The problem with either a receiver or DE is that neither will be of much help next year but a receiver is going to be of help a lot sooner than a DE.

Another receiver that looked really good is Devin Thomas of Mich State, fast, stong and a kick returner to boot. Looks like there are quite a few good receivers so I suspect they will not take one early unless they consider him special.

One other guy that caught my eye was an OL from Rutgers. Could be a right guard, tackle or maybe Matt Birks replacement. I think his name was Jeremy Zuttah. His build and movement are very distinctive. The first thing I thought of was Randell McDaniel, he's built just like him and is deceptively strong like McDaniel with many bench press reps. I think he could be a good one.
Fire Childress

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Actually the Vikings two biggest needs are quarterback and head coach.
Homer J

Wild Rose, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

I have to agree with Fire Childress.

“Ponder to Rice...Touchdown !”

Since: Apr 07

duluth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Proball5 wrote:
Still finished with a higher draft pick, and the same amount of Superbowl wins as the pack last year. Go back to the Packer forum.
Vegas Vic

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Proball5 - "The Vikings need some drastic changes in the secondary after finishing dead last in the NFL in pass defense last season."

Yards given up per pass attempt in 2007:
Vikings - 6.5
Packers - 6.3

Yards given up per completion in 2007:
Vikings - 10.18
Packers - 11.41

I guess the Packers also need to drastically change their secondary as well.
Your God

Brainerd, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

1) Sign Madieu Williams. Solid player. Better than Dwight Smith.

2) Sign Berrian or Stallworth. Get a veteran who can stretch the field. If Ben Troupe comes cheap -- and I mean CHEAP -- sign him as well.

3) Draft a DE or best player available. But, really, draft a DE. This is now an area of need.

4) Draft a WR in the second. There should be value here. Maybe give up our third round pick (we have Denver's) to move up and grab Devin Thomas. Otherwise, stay put and nab Eddie Royal.

5) There was a QB with a rookie QB rating of 71.2. That was Peyton Manning. Lay off Tarvaris. The veterans like the kid...do you know more than Birk?

6) Third round draft an OL prospect. Maybe Mike Pollack. If Carl Nicks drops to here, snatch him.

7) Fourth round: peg a safety or cornerback. Maybe a DT. Marcus Harrison could be here.

8) Draft a WR with punt return ability. Pierre Garcon sounds like a late-round gem. Good kid to boot.

9) Last round: draft an overachieving OLB who can play Will or Mike. Bryan Kehl, perhaps. We should probably sign some C-level free agent LB as well.
purple pete

Brandon, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

I think the Vikes should trade Troy Williamson straight up with Oakland for Micheal Huff. Both are 7 overall picks Huff a year younger and from a bad defense. He has a lot of upside and coukd add youth and skill to our enemic secondary
Your God

Brainerd, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Oh yeah, and trade Williamson for a 6th or 7th. The Moss trade was absolutely horrible.

Since: Feb 08

Brandon, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

well the team doesn't want troy anyway and mike huff is a good saftey that didn't have the supporting cast of line backers and d-lineman we have. He's better than Tank. Might as well get something for Ray Charles..Ooops Troy Wiliamson. A first round quality guy like Huff is better than a 4th or a 5th for Troy. That's a stretch for him even.
lanniec

Leitchfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Somebody tell them they need QB. Jackson is the worst ive seen in a viking purple in my 40 years of being a fan.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Madieu Williams Discussions

Search the Madieu Williams Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
2013 NFL Draft: Who Do Redskins Fans Want with ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Adam Banig 1
Albert Haynesworth and the 5 Worst Attitudes in... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Pubfarts 2
Vikings will meet with the agents of several of... (Feb '11) Feb '11 IUVikes1 14
Vikings safety Madieu Williams is Walter Payton... (Feb '11) Feb '11 PB ARMY 40
Former Bengals Safety Madieu Williams Wins 2010... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Captain Canada 4
Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield added to NF... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 15
Vikings list Brett Favre as doubtful ... but th... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Police report 28
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••